• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Excessive power?

Made me smile! Last summer my grandson at 10 years old, came into my shop to say HI. He was looking at all the tools I still have lining the walls plus the big tool box. " Paw, that's a lot of tools. " Me " Yep, What you gonna do with them when I'm gone? " Him > " Guess I'm gonna have to learn to be a mechanic. " Laughing, I said, " I sure hope so, I'd hate to see all this stuff go to a pawn shop. "

don't wait 'til your dead-teach 'im paw.

My KLR is a keeper. I live on a caliche road, it's a thumper, comfortable with a Seat Concepts seat and doesn't encourage me to stay in front of traffic.

What Robert said...

I've also got a KLR to go with the bandit :)

Brake fix...

...on my 2011 GSX1250FA I installed SS lines and Dale Walker's Axis brake rotors and pads and that has made a world of difference. My bike has ABS, and the "feel" has improved tremendously.

Excessive, no. To me I wouldn't consider it fast but really strong. I agree with above statement of it does a lot of things well.

No such thing. Makes me miss my old 00' 1200S. :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJ7R1xno6g"]Suzuki Bandit Burnout - YouTube[/ame]

I've done many things to my 07 Bandit, PCIII, Delkevic headers, Dale Walker muffler, pulled the 2nd flies, air box mod/K&N filter, o2 eliminator, removed air system. I had it dyno'd and some good numbers. I still have an abrupt throttle close in the first 2 gears, the rest of the gears the sensation makes good engine braking.
Though sometimes I wonder if the Busa motor will fit our frame?

Attachments

• IMG_5960.JPG
    IMG_5960.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5961.JPG
    IMG_5961.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 205
And you know half the reason we all bought motorcycles was to have a reason to buy more tools.

Indeed! But you know what you still save money versus going to the shop AND you know its done right and you feel good about it! :rider:

I've done many things to my 07 Bandit, PCIII, Delkevic headers, Dale Walker muffler, pulled the 2nd flies, air box mod/K&N filter, o2 eliminator, removed air system. I had it dyno'd and some good numbers. I still have an abrupt throttle close in the first 2 gears, the rest of the gears the sensation makes good engine braking.
Though sometimes I wonder if the Busa motor will fit our frame?

At that point, just get a Hayabusa :) I wouldn't be surprised if a 'busa motor fir the 2nd gen frame with ease.

If you want a comfortable sport tourer with 150+hp, I'd look at Kawasaki Concourse 14.

Yes I hear ya,
My last bike was a Yamaha R1. Very quick and nimble. Front wheel would come off the ground in second. Had to really ride it conservatively or pay the price. I now have a 09 XR650l. Love that bike ! So much better to be able to go down any dirt road, trail, or on the street. Like dual sport bikes much better because of the utility, don't have to worry about low clearance and cracking the air dam. I'm thinking about another DS to add to the garage...I'm more at home in the dirt and back country. ?

For me, the Bandit, and the ZRX, are not about peak power- but torque. The ability to pull hard and smooth from any rpm. On the street, that is way more useful than peak HP.
When I first got my ZRX, I took a hundred mile ride around the Hood Canal and never left third gear. It was like a poor mans electric motor-just turn the rheostat up or down depending how fast you want to go.
And these bikes are easy bikes-you don't have to work hard to ride them, there are no real "no go" zones where they don't run well, no neck aches or foot forward woes, I came back from a brake test run today and had no problem running over the field to the garden on the rough- try that with a race replica or a foot forward cruiser.
My other bike is DR650, I like it for many of the same reasons-

The Bandit fits in nicely between the 03 FZ1 and the 12 ZX14r.
I'm impressed with the Bandit's low first gear of 3.0 and smooth motor.
Too bad Suzuki didn't package the 1250 Bandit like the 1000 Versys. The Bandit would be a big hit.
With side bags it probably weighs about 570 lb. like the Versys and with its stump pulling motor it would walk away from the Versys. With just a bit of tuning it could easily make 110 HP and 80 ft. lb. torque.

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Indeed, even fully loaded aside from when turning I can't tell because of all the torque! ;)

It's great fun to ride a fast bike, just not really on the street. For street riding anything more than 600 to 700 CC's just has more legs than you can really do much with. I know when I had my Hornet it was exilerating to get it up there into the fun zone but man, the tickets I could have gotten... Luckily I didn't. I still have a big bike but like others, I notice it doesn't stop as fast, gets worse mileage, etc etc etc. I alternate between the Vee and my Hawk and its always funny. When I am on the Hawk I miss the power and acceleration, when I am on the Vee I miss the lightness and handling (and braking too). I was thinking from what I have been riding that the next bike I go for might be something like the FJ-09, it seems to be a comfortable medium of power, handling, and stopping.

I've been researching the newer motorcycles-FZ-09, FJ-09 and Ninja 1000 ABS-and the same weakness keeps popping up. The suspensions are weak for the average American Male. Unless you buy the top of the line motorcycle, the first thing you have to do is the suspension. Something like $1000-2000 more. Only buying these Bikes used and hope the previous owner updated the suspension is the direction I'm looking.
Manufacturers that make motorcycles for 2-up riding and luggage need to reevaluate their components for a given market.
I was reading on FJ09forum about this guy who weighs 260 lb. and his passenger at 160 lb. (total 420 lb.) then adds the luggage for camping gear
(80 lb.) complaining about the suspension. The FJ-09 has a load rating of 417 lb.
He should have got the 1250 Bandit, it has a load rating of 486 lb.
Really that is what larger motorcycles are for, for 2-up and/or traveling. Larger motorcycles handle crosswinds better from Semi's, too.

I have to agree with you on the load rating on the bandit. I am 155KG or about 340lb and the bandit holds up well under my weight. I have ridden some of my friends' smaller much more uncomfortable sports bikes and they bottom out when hitting the bumps in the road. The truth however is that us big guys should not be on a sports bike in the first place and that is probably why the manufacturers do not cater for us big guys when manufacturing the smaller toys.

I've been researching the newer motorcycles-FZ-09, FJ-09 and Ninja 1000 ABS-and the same weakness keeps popping up. The suspensions are weak for the average American Male. Unless you buy the top of the line motorcycle, the first thing you have to do is the suspension. Something like $1000-2000 more. Only buying these Bikes used and hope the previous owner updated the suspension is the direction I'm looking.
Manufacturers that make motorcycles for 2-up riding and luggage need to reevaluate their components for a given market.
I was reading on FJ09forum about this guy who weighs 260 lb. and his passenger at 160 lb. (total 420 lb.) then adds the luggage for camping gear
(80 lb.) complaining about the suspension. The FJ-09 has a load rating of 417 lb.
Really that is what larger motorcycles are for, for 2-up and/or traveling. Larger motorcycles handle crosswinds better from Semi's, too.

Last edited:

The FZ-09 can be sorted nicely for $1000. Especially if you are not taking it to the track. These #s are approximate, but you get the picture. Ohlins rear shock $550, GP suspension kit via Stoltec Moto $230ish...Just my opinion, but this is good enough for an aggressive street rider.

Back