• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Marfa Road Trip

Reaction score
We're taking a road trip out to Marfa in April, and a few of us are riding dual sport/adv bikes out there. Anybody know of some good roads or dirt we can hit while we're out in the desert?

Big Bend is out of the picture for this trip - we're foregoing that for an event all by itself. So far I plan on taking a trip around Mt. Livermore and possibly driving down to Candelaria via Pinto Canyon Road.

I think you're on to something with the Pinto Canyon plan. Take Casa Pierda south from Marfa, fuel up in Presidio, then back north via Pinto Canyon.

Definitely plan on Pinto Canyon. Here are a couple of pics from Pinto Canyon in December...
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/crf450x-thread.570237/page-43#post-34009490

The southern end of the Pinto Canyon road is Ruidosa, TX. If you head West from there, Candalaria is 12 paved miles. Then you can pick up Chispa road (dirt) and head NW along the border. Godzilla hill is the only obstacle that may be sketchy for a big bike or new rider. I hear that you can take chispa all the way to 90 and then loop back East to Marfa, but I haven't done that.

Looks like Casey and Jeff S. have already shared my suggested routes. But you might want to take your swim trunks and stop at Chinati Hot Springs.

Later, Bud...

Any idea where Godzilla Hill is? I've been trying to find an exact location on a map because it looks awesome and I want to make sure we go see it. Can't seem to find a specific location for it. Is it on Pinto Canyon Road? Chispa Road?

Any idea where Godzilla Hill is? I've been trying to find an exact location on a map because it looks awesome and I want to make sure we go see it. Can't seem to find a specific location for it. Is it on Pinto Canyon Road? Chispa Road?
Chispa Rd. approx 7 miles past Candelaria on dirt.

_

Anyone have experience riding up that road? Should I be informing border patrols there's going to be 3 guys tooling around on motorcycles in the middle of the desert for no other reason than to waste some time?

Anyone have experience riding up that road? Should I be informing border patrols there's going to be 3 guys tooling around on motorcycles in the middle of the desert for no other reason than to waste some time?
Make sure you have gps tracks or a map. It is not a road you can navigate easily by sight if you plan to go all the way through to US90. Lots of cut offs along the way to private ranches that are more well traveled and look more like a road than the actual road. If you are only going as far as Godzilla Hill and back then you can ignore above.

_

Thanks for the advice. Will probably just be hitting Godzilla Hill and then heading to Presidio - one of the bikes in the group is a Sherpa and I don't think it has the range to make it over to US90.

Back