TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Vendor's Forum

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

Dual Sport Bike Rental, Smoky Mountains and Big Bend Texas

BIG BEND 2016 UPDATE This year again we'll be set up at the Big Bend Motor Inn at the intersection of Hwys. 170 and 118 in beautiful downtown Terlingua, or Study Butte, depending on who you talk to! Dates are January 22nd through March 18th so we'll be here during Uncle's Around the Bend ride this year. 2- KLR650's, 2- DR650's, a Yami XT250 and a BMW 800GS makes up the fleet we'll have available. CLICK HERE for more info and rates or give us a call at 865-448-6090.
Thanks,
Dan

Recently we have had several folks up from Texas renting bikes and they suggested I post here about our biz. We are located in Townsend, TN 1/2 mile from the Great Smoky Mtns. Nat'l Park. Our fleet includes KLR 650's, DR 650's and 200's. We have many maps and routes that take you away from the crowds and on to the good stuff. For more info check out our website at www.gsmmotorent.com.
Secondly, I love riding down in TX. One of my best riding buds lives in Austin and I try to get down there every chance I get and ride the Hill Country and out to the Big Bend area, which leads me to this. We have very long winters around here so my idea was to load up some bikes and head to Terlingua next January to ride, play, and see if there is any interest in renting out some dual sport bikes. Please feel free to comment on the above, I welcome any feed back you can give on this.
If you're in the East TN area please stop in and say hello, and cool your dogs off in the river!

Last edited by LtDan; 12-31-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: update info
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

Re: Dual Sport Bike Rental, Smoky Mountains

August Special- We are offering the free use of a Go Pro video camera with each 3 day rental. You'll need to bring your own SD 2 gig media card and AAA lithium batteries or we have them available here. Limited availability.
Capture your ride then go home and edit, put on You Tube for the world to see!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
AusFletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
If you're in the East TN area please stop in and say hello, and cool your dogs off in the river!
Just came through your way from Austin to Quantico via Asheville. Woulda dropped in had I known. I stopped in every other body of water I encountered to cool off. Was a hot week even for a Texan....
Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
BPFowler

Welcome

MMmmmm Looks like great fun
FJR Darksider#17 La Porte Texas
Bikes currently in the paddock:
'74 RD 350; '78 RD 400; '92 KDX250; '96 KTM 620; '02 FZ1; '05 KDX 200; '07 KTM 250 XC-W; '09 FJR 1300;
Gone but not forgotten:
YG-1; TS-125 ; CB 160 ; GT 380; XS 650; H1; CB 450; VT 500 Ascot; KZ 400; KZ 1000 Z1R(stolen); Venture XVZ12 (dead after 142,846 miles May she rest in pieces); '00 KLR 650 Snaged by Son #1 (again)
BPFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Jbay

where else can you test drive a KLR on the Dragon and Parsons Branch

thank you very much LT DAN!!!

http://www.actsmissions.org/

KTM 690 ENDURO
TRIUMPH TIGER 955i

Last edited by Jbay; 09-13-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: fix photo
Jbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

James, glad we could help out. Nice pics you put up there.
Dan
Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

The crowds are gone, weather's looking good, its time to ride. Sept. and most of Oct. are some of the best times to ride up here, not much rain, nice temps and lack of crowds make for good rides, just remember toward the end of Oct. the Leafers come out in force but if your on a Dual Sport bike you have more options to bypass the masses.
Dan
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
gixxerjasen

Good to know. I've got a dual sport in my future, looks like a good way to try them out and see if some of the ones you have would fit the bill for my needs. I'll be keeping this in mind.
gixxerjasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

Yea, Gixxerjasen, let me know if we can help out. We've got lots of maps and some good self guided routes for DS'ing around the Smoky's.
Also looking to add some lighter bikes like the KLX 250's or DRZ400's to the fleet, would like to know everyone's opinion on these bikes as we've been getting calls for lighter more off roadie type bikes.
Dan
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I was in Ouray Colorado last week and saw some of your flyers in the office of a local campground on the North end of town.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
TLRam1

What's a Leafer?

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 04 WR450
TLRam1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Hemibee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRam1 View Post
What's a Leafer?
Those that come out to look at the autumn colors.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger - "Black Betty" - Gone
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC - Jessica

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles." John Wayne
Hemibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
TLRam1

Thought that might be it but never heard the term leafers.

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 04 WR450
TLRam1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

New Bikes

In response to the feed back we have been getting we added two new bikes for the fall season, a Yamaha WR250X and a Kawasaki KLX250X. Don't let the displacement fool ya, these bikes offer a fully adjustable suspension and the engines are high revving versions of their motocross bikes, on a bike that weighs less than 300 lbs.
Dan
Old 09-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
ricksteven

Re: New Bikes

Great news, LtDan! I've been wondering how I could get my hands on a DS when I come and visit my sister in Oak Ridge! I grew up in Maryville, but left at 19 to join the Army. How I loved driving my Opel Manta down Parsons Branch and on the Dragon before it was called the Dragon!

I was just going to recommend the Yamaha WR250R when you asked for suggestions-

Will stop in to meet you the next time I'm in Vol's country.

Rick
Houston, Tx
ricksteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

Hey Rick, bet that was an adventure taking an Opal down Parson's Branch. Look forward to meeting ya when your in the area.
Dan
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

October Special !!!!

Weather is great, the leaves are a changing, its a great time to be in the Smoky Mountains. For the month of October we are offering 10% off 1 day rentals and 20% off 2 day rentals Monday thru Thursday only. Save $ and miss the weekend crowds. Give us a call at 865-448-6090.
Dan
Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 AM   #18
wralyn

Just got back from Townsend. My dad and I trailered up from his home in Mississippi and we made the loop through Deal's Gap to Cherokee and back up to Townsend. It was a great trip with great weather. We stayed next door at the Riverstone Lodge. Terry had nothing but fantastic things to say about you.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
LtDan
TWT Advertiser

DUAL SPORT RENTAL at BIG BEND

EL DESPOBLADO: Unpopulated, empty place. Words long used to the describe the Big Bend region of Texas. Maybe this is why it has to be one of the best areas for dual sport riding, especially in Febuary and March. Ride along the Rio Grande on River Road in the National Park, explore the Big Bend Ranch State Park, then head into Terlingua for some refreshments, food, and lodging.
Tired of watching our steeds sit idle here in the Smoky's during the winter, the decision has been made to load up the trailer and head southwest. We're bringing a few KLR's, a DR200, and a KLX250 for starters. Operation dates are Feb. 20th through March 31st of 2011. We'll be based in Terlingua at Big Bend Resort, where FM170 meets Route 118, N 29' 19. 45.627 and W 103' 32. 3.858
Here's a couple of videos to give you an idea of what the riding's like-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFbzVmC5SM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6ZCnYnZmg
Check out our website for more details and rental rates or give us a call to schedule @865-448-6090. For more info on the Big Bend area visit http://www.visitbigbend.com/site09/index.php

Come ride Big Bend with us!

Team
GSMmotoRent
Old 12-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
Red Brown

Re: DUAL SPORT RENTAL at BIG BEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
We're bringing a few KLR's, a DR200, and a KLX250 for starters. Operation dates are Feb. 20th through March 31st of 2011. We'll be based in Terlingua at Big Bend Resort, where FM170 meets Route 118, N 29' 19. 45.627 and W 103' 32. 3.858
Team
GSMmotoRent
I saw that you have the WR250R for day rentals. This might be good, if I am in the area on my road bike and need to spend one day riding off-road.

Is your $95 for a 24 hour period or just one 12 hour day? BTW, what brand or type of tire do you use on it? OEM Trailwings?

RB