• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

R100/7 wheels

LDB

Reaction score
First Name
Leo
I've got a 1978 R100/7 I'm hoping to get back on the road this year. I like the spoke wheels that are on the bike but I like the idea of modern tires that give double or triple or more lifespan as well as tubeless. So, is it possible to go to modern wheels/tires on that bike? If so, what would they be? Thanks for any and all input.

I'd ask on the old skool forum on ADVrider.

So may of those parts from the 70's and 80's are interchangeble

Snow flake wheels from some other year airheads will fit your bike. But they will only accept the same size tires as your wheels. BMW and others say NOT to install tubeless tires unless your run tubes in them.
After I had my snowflakes powder coated I have ran tubeless tires for the last 20-30,000 miles.
The problem with trying to run newer style tires on the airheads is most are larger size and there is a very tight clearance between the tire and drive shaft housing.
Changing wheels on an airhead can be rather frustrating as the spacers and shims for the wheels are very specific so as to give the wheel bearings the correct preload.
The only aftermarket wheels for the airheads that I now of was Lufmister and they are long out of production. They were also heavy, and in my opinion ugly.
But then many people feel the same way about the snowflakes.
If you go the snowflake route do some resurch about the recall problem BMW had with some of the early front wheels. Moist should have been replaced but there may still be a few floating around out there, not a problem I would want to get into.
Hope this helps, it's good to see airheads saved from being parted out.

some tire manufacturers are producing vintage size tires using modern tread patterns and many use modern compounds.

some tire manufacturers are producing vintage size tires using modern tread patterns and many use modern compounds.

I'm not interested in changing sizes, just in getting better grip and longer life. I'll have to look into this as that's my only interest.

I can't remember the company but their ad was in one of the classic bike magazines.
I will try to find it when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the link. I'll keep those in mind when it's time for tires.

Back