• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Route Advice: Northwest Arkansas to Dallas and then Austin

Jammin

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Howdy folks! Next week I'm picking up a new-to-me BMW K1200S in Chicago and riding her down to Austin :rider: First night will be somewhere in southern Illinois, then next day riding the twisties of southern Missouri and staying with some friends in Bentonville. Then from there to Dallas, what are the recommended twisty roads to ride in Northwest Arkansas as I make my way to Dallas for the next overnight?

I've ridden NW Arkansas years ago, in 2005, and don't remember all the amazing twisites. I'm hoping to avoid straight roads.

Then after Dallas, is there any interesting route down to Austin? Would like to avoid I-35 :mrgreen:

This is the rough route I've got so far for NW AR to DFW:
i-msfnQCX.jpg

Your route from Bentonville to DFW looks about as good as any other option. I would consider taking the Talimena from Mena to Talihena, then work your way down to Antlers, Paris, over to Bonham, and down 121 to Dallas. Talimena is the best sweepers in that area, and is cooler because of the elevation. Pleasant sweepers and scenery down to Antlers, and after that you're just motoring to Dallas. I never found any really good riding in that final section, but at least on the turnpike the speed limit is ridiculously high.

I commuted between Plano and the hill country for years before retiring. US-281 is the alternative to get to Austin. It's not particularly exciting, but does get you off the interstate. I can supply a route with some nice riding from Cleburne to Hamilton, if you are interested. Just let me know and I will post it up.

Thanks for that, Jarrett.

I commuted between Plano and the hill country for years before retiring. US-281 is the alternative to get to Austin. It's not particularly exciting, but does get you off the interstate. I can supply a route with some nice riding from Cleburne to Hamilton, if you are interested. Just let me know and I will post it up.
Yes, please, I'd be interested in that. I see, so just take 281 for a nice wide loop around to Austin. I like that.

Thanks for that, Jarrett.

Yes, please, I'd be interested in that. I see, so just take 281 for a nice wide loop around to Austin. I like that.

Yes, just take 281 down to 29 at Burnet, or 71 on the south side of Marble Falls, depending on where you want to end up in Austin.

My route starts on US67 just southwest of Cleburne, and delivers you to the square on Hamilton, where you can catch 281 southbound. Here's the link to the map and turn-by-turn directions. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28013423

If youre in a hurry ta get to Austin from DFW.....then yes ...US281
But ..depending on what part of Austin youre hedded to.... Then there are many other state hiways & twisty farm to mkt (FM) roads in between...all paved
Some of my favorites generally north to south..... west of I35
From Weatherford...
FM51 to US67
FM203 to Walnut Springs TX144
FM927 to Iredell
FM1238 to FM219 thru Cranfills Gap then FM182 to TX36
BusTX36 to Gatesville then west US84
FM116 to Copperas Cove
US190 to FM2657
FM963 to FM1174
FM1431 either east to N Austin area
Or west to Marble Falls US281 then
TX71 to S Austin area

Other more direct roads along this route can be used to shorten the trip if necessary
The only high traffic areas are Weatherford
Copperas Cove & Marble Falls
Mabe some in Grandbury

There are also TONS of paved county roads I like to ride between DFW & Austin...but a bit too bumpy at times for that bike.

I would also suggest... Unless you need to go to DFW.... Stay on the roads down thru east Texas....lots of trees to shade the roads. Then head west for the final bit of the trip. Trees stay with ya west till TX6 at least in spots around Bryan/College Station

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I certainly defer to those dudes in Dallas for the best routes from there to Austin. If you are staying in Bentonville, the ride north of Bentonville across from Missouri then back through Eureka Springs is pretty nice. And I-49 south is nothing special (bad!) and you are missing some pretty good roads around there.

Here is my recommendation. It starts in Missouri through Mark Twain National Forest and the roads are something special. Ride south and catch the "Pig Trail" (looks like you already have that) and as JCYUHN mentioned ride "Talimena Trail" from Mena to Talihena.
mOaGUb0mMjOC3d2qdHwRTZv9AgWBsQdmXAc9n5yceCyUs8fmSPsyC7zilbMqAZnYyutMVOFN1xZsG1diVRb=w490-h638-no.jpg

I don't know if you have basecamp or mapsource, but I have attached the .gdb and .gpx (Maps version 2019.2) for inclusion in your routing. But again, I recommend you staying away from I-49 and get into the meat of Arkansas Northwest.

I am not sure what your planning as far as places to stay or how far you plan to ride at night. But if you have any questions post up. And, by the way, there are some pretty arcane liquor laws in Arkansas and Oklahoma, with plenty of places where getting an adult beverage in the evening, is out of the question.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Arkansas Recommendation 2018.gdb
    247.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Arkansas Recommendation 2018.gpx
    697.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Yes, just take 281 down to 29 at Burnet, or 71 on the south side of Marble Falls, depending on where you want to end up in Austin.

My route starts on US67 just southwest of Cleburne, and delivers you to the square on Hamilton, where you can catch 281 southbound. Here's the link to the map and turn-by-turn directions. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28013423
Excellent, thanks for that.

I would also suggest... Unless you need to go to DFW.... Stay on the roads down thru east Texas....lots of trees to shade the roads. Then head west for the final bit of the trip. Trees stay with ya west till TX6 at least in spots around Bryan/College Station

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
Great info there. Thanks for the details. I do need to overnight in DFW as I have family there, otherwise I would've avoided it!

I am not sure what your planning as far as places to stay or how far you plan to ride at night. But if you have any questions post up. And, by the way, there are some pretty arcane liquor laws in Arkansas and Oklahoma, with plenty of places where getting an adult beverage in the evening, is out of the question.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I'm planning to overnight in Bentonville, have some family there. And yeah, I've been through Arkansas before and am aware of their strange laws, hah. I hope to not be riding after dark but that day into Bentonville, I'll be starting from beyond St. Louis in Illinois and want to ride all the good stuff in southern Missouri like US-160. It'll be a long, fun day :rider:

Back