• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Repair & paint gas tank

t110

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ford
While trailering with a friend, the canyon dancer on his FZ-1 managed to pull the bars down so much that it tilted over into my Bandit, denting and scuffing the tank. Luckily, there were no leaks so we were able to unload and ride for 2 weeks in the Northeast, mostly Maine and upstate NY. My bad for not checking the pinch bolts on his bars.
Anyway, we checked out a few used tanks listed on eBay - even saw one in person. All appear to have roughly the same degree of damage as mine.
My local go-to body guy says he can do the repair and repaint for $250. Since mine is the fastest color black, I'm wondering about the extra metalflake colors and how hard it would be to get or mix enough to repaint the tank.
All advice cheerfully received,
t110

Ask your body man what leftover colors he's got. There's always some left. And the degree and range of finishes is bewildering. Also, the danger in the current paints is extreme.
I've painted some cars and bikes, and boats, and I avoid it because of the risks.

Have you tried a buffing wheel???? :rider:
Seriously though, I would just pay the guy, at least if there's a problem you can take it back to him.
Actually, have you tried the dry ice technique on the dent? I've seen it work for some and not for others, but others should have more knowledge than I.

Last edited:
We had staggered the bikes on the trailer so as to get the balance just right. [This was a utility trailer that we modified for trailering bikes]. When the FZ-1's bars rotated down, they were parallel to the Bandit's gas tank and did a number on it as we approached our camp across some pretty rough terrain. Oh, well, at least we saved a pile of money by avoiding motels.

This body guy is very good at paint-matching, so he wants to be prepared to apply the factory mix. But after many years of looking at the bike, it seems that the tank is the only piece with metalflake. If that's so, there's certainly no harm in just getting a monochrome repaint and clear coat with whatever he has on hand. Can probably negotiate a lower price for going with this option.

Are there any other metalflake pieces on '08 blackies?

t110

To finish the thread:
Our '08's have the same black 'flake as a '98 Accord. Who knew?
Got a pint mixed up and took it with tank and V35 accent panels to the body guy. He got all 3 parts painted 2x with 3x clear over that, and there's still better than half a pint left.
TWT member jbird710 kindly sent the bra off his old Bandit 600; I can now definitively state that these two bikes have gas tanks with different dimensions. Pity.

t110

Back