• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Frank's Restaurant is closing- Schulenberg

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Frank's restaurant- at the intersection of HWY 77 and I-10 is closing in September after 90 years!
I actually went there BEFORE I was born. Mom was pregnant with me on a trip home to Schulenberg- 1950.
On several occasions, Frank's gave as many as 45 riders a great meal on one of my Painted Churches rides, each Saturday following Thanksgiving.
I will miss them!

Yes, according to the Fayette County Record the family sold to a developer from Columbus. The restaurant was originally in town on some family owned property. They had a large pack of hunting dogs that garnered some complaints so they bought some land north of town for their dogs. Years later I10 was put in fronting their property and the family moved the restaurant.

For small groups consider as an alternate The Garden Company which is located on the west side of 77 about a mile into town. They have also opened a restaurant in Round Top. It's a little more upscale, a little more pricey, and the food is on par with some of the nicer restaurants in the Houston market. Sorry, no chicken fried steak. For that try Holman Valley Steakhouse on the corner of 155 and 1965.

Your alternatives list all the reasons FRANK'S will be missed. IT was as solid a place as could be found. Not 'pricey', nor pretentious, but like visiting Grandma.

Stopped there last September on the way to Port Aranasas and really enjoyed it. Too bad. I hate to see that go.

Your alternatives list all the reasons FRANK'S will be missed. IT was as solid a place as could be found. Not 'pricey', nor pretentious, but like visiting Grandma.

:shrug: Just trying to be nice to people and offer some suggestions. Places like Franks are all over the area, Schobels in Columbus, River Cafe in La Grange, Texas Grill in Bastrop, Cracker Barrel. The list goes on. It's all standard short order Americana.

It's my fault. Seems like when I add a place to my travel list, it closes up before I can get back.
Took a group of about 30 on a Painted Churches/Shiner Brewery tour just this last September and we ate there one evening. Guess we were too much for them! Ha!

:shrug: Just trying to be nice to people and offer some suggestions. Places like Franks are all over the area, Schobels in Columbus, River Cafe in La Grange, Texas Grill in Bastrop, Cracker Barrel. The list goes on. It's all standard short order Americana.

Frank's was good....and you are right. :sun:

Back