• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SHTC news and events

Ed is what I call an "A" personality with a good heart. But all will not like him! lol. I'm just glad we have him leading us, it's a thankless job and very hard working with the government and their red tape. Of all the folks we have I don't think anyone understands the game better than him. He knows how to present stuff in writing in the words they understand and can't refute. I hope he keeps fighting for us.

AMEN!

SHNF is still not open and still need workers. They have thrown a new obstacle at the riders, "protrusions, (roots) bigger than 3" have to be removed or covered up. Only 80 miles of trails, this ain't no biggie, smh.

"• What we'll do
Agenda:
Fire, food and fun.
West Side Multi Use Tasks:
Find your protrusion.
Examine and measure your protrusion.
Perhaps you burry your protrusion.
Regardless the duration you shovel. Long deliberate or short rapid, you bury that protrusion.
Cover your protrusion with clay and sand. It's common sense. Water creates the erosion. Get the water off the trail and burry that root right?

Highly controversial but if undecided you can hack off your protrusion. See video below.

Regardless, were not conflicted. We have protrusions and we know how to reduce them per mile which improves the trail standard. Let's get er done and make it fun. https://youtu.be/RJPGCpLkFks"

From ODODB site.

SHTC Quarterly Meeting – Feb 3rd

WHO: SAM HOUSTON TRAILS COALITION MEMBERS

WHAT: SHTC GENERAL MEETING

WHEN: SATURDAY, Feb 3rd, 2018 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM

We need to be off the property by 10:45 AM WHERE: Gulf Coast Trades Center – Family Life Center 143 Forest Service Rd. #233, New Waverly, Tx 77358

Any important news from the meeting? Thanks

Eric Pullen‎ to TRH - Trail Riders of Houston
12 mins ·
IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ...

DO YOU WANT A CYCLIST AS YOUR MOTORIZED REPRESENTATIVE IN THE FOREST?

The Sam Houston Coalition is having a vote at 8:00am on May 5th which includes the Motorized Representative for the Sam Houston National Forest. I personally have nominated ED PONIKVAR to continue being our Motorized Rep. for another year. The other option is a cyclist with a vendetta, so if you want a cyclist representing you in the forest just stay home.

Ed Ponikvar has done a lot to improve and motivate to the point of being over bearing and annoying, but I feel that's what it takes. He is a strong voice for the Motorized community helping to guide us in the right direction in getting our forest back and on track with the rest of the nation.
Ed and a team of die-hard volunteers were a vital part in getting us the forest service equipment to work on the trail, and guiding local volunteers to be able to operate that equipment. Developing a way to accurately catalog our volunteer hours to help pay for grants and map the trail system damage to be repaired. Also he's been working with the AMA, local, state and federal government officials to figure out what needs to be done and rooting through the government B.S. to do so. He's done so much these last few years and I want to keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

PLEASE SHOW UP TO CAST YOUR VOTE!
EVERY VOTE IN THE ROOM COUNTS!
THE CYCLISTS ARE COMING WITH NUMBERS AND WE SHOULD TOO.

I'm guessing there is a meeting at the FS office on May 5 where the voting happens. Or is there another way to vote?

East Side trail survey. 5/19/18

Please Accept this invite if you can attend Saturday May 19th

SHTC members have first rights of refusal:

Preferably you have ridden the West Side at least 2-4 times prior to compare to the East Side.

East Side MUT trail for review this Saturday and Sunday.
Arrive with Bike and proper protective equipment.
IF your a sawyer and you want to lead a team to cut by all means please come prepared.

What to bring:
Food and water to share.
Bike or ATV
Print Print and bring maps

Meet at the East Side MUT trail head
8:00am

OBJECTIVE: PARTICIPANTS WILL CONCLUDE WITH INPUT ON WHAT APPEARS NECESSARY TO GET THE TRAIL OPEN. PRIORITY ISSUES. SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO APPROACH. PLANNING AND POSSIBLE COMMITMENT TO HELP WITH SPECIFIC ITEMS.

HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO LEARN IS UP TO YOU: Bring paper, pencil and smart phones. Research the SHTC website. Practice how to get a permit to access closed trail. How to convert your planning to grant match though the accomplishment report. All of this or none but one thing is for sure. WE WILL HAVE GOOD SAFE FUN WHILE FIGURING OUT HOW TO GET THE EAST SIDE TRAIL OPEN.

I cant make it but thanks for posting. I hope to make it next fall.

Thanks Vinny.

We'll be back at it this weekend.

Saturday and Sunday will be the last time to get a first hand understanding. Want to see the situation on the East Side Trail? How bad could it be? What will it take to get it open? Load up the bike, pack extra hydration and a little extra to pass around at lunch.

East Side gate open at 7:45. Review a section or the entire trail. Review the bridges and where the logs are needing cut. Discuss perspective of trails. Meet new members, collaborate, have fun. We will have a generator and fans to cool off when on break. This is what you purchased a motorcycle for right?

Respectfully,

Ed

P.S. The SHTC has the permit approved to be on the East Side. We did this event last weekend. It was a success but we didn't quite get all the trails categorized. Please RSVP so we know how many maps to print.
vpsamhoustontrails@gmail.com

Sam HoustonUpdate & letter from Ed Ponikvar.
Hello all,
I have gotten a ride in over the last few weeks and I thank you. Your help got trail open for me and others. I appreciate it and I thank you. For those yet to contribute, I have a chance for you to get involved. All you need to do is be on the West side trail along the string and north balloon Saturday and Sunday afernoons. You need to find the location where the dozer is going to be working. We need this commitment this weekend and ongoing. See the attached details. Remember, this is effort happens weekly and is posted on the https://www.samhoustontrails.org/ site. https://www.samhoustontrails.org/resources/downloads/
Commit to being with David Todd as he operates the dozer this Saturday and Sunday. He runs from dawn till dusk. Responsible volunteers are self scheduling. They give a few hrs and rotate. They reply and say "Me and 3 buddies will arrive at 7AM and will rotate duties every 60 minutes till 11AM" others reply and say "our crew will be to David by 11am. We will stay with him on rotation till 2pm"
Grasp the challenge of finding coverage in the afternoon. Embrace the concept. Your attendance is what keeps the dozer running. This need will continue till we have the trails as water tolerate as possible. David's Dozer Dogs plan many more hrs thus many more weeks of dozer time needs covered.
It is my hope this community will self schedule. I need you to be with David's Dozer Dogs till the dozer work is complete. If not, the dozer will NOT run. No dozer, no trail!
For those that get it, reply with your ongoing commitment. Thank you for the hrs you give this weekend. Consider ongoing weekends when possible. Keeping up with David's Dozer Dogs is possible with our help. hose wanting more detail, keep reading below.
It's is great to get out on the 21.53 miles of trail that was opened by the SHTC around the Kelly's pond area. Nearly 30 riders per weekend show up during the day to ride. Some show up with regularity and on specific days. If you frequent the trails you HAVE the time. Perhaps you just don't know how little of your time is needed to help? Perhaps you don't know how to take that first step to get involved?
I have ridden with many of you the last few weeks and it has been a blast. Thank You! If you would like to see the the 20 mile string and balloon trails open, lets discuss how you can help. 936-446-7966.
Folks are now starting to grasp what the SHTC can accomplish. We have a dozer and volunteers run it weekly. You suggest the trail (we got open) is the best in the area. The trail will continue to get ever better. Better meaning more water tolerant. Over time you will notice the trail open more during the rainy season. We are managing water and preventing erosion with a long term goal in mind. Volunteers do this with track equipment. A Mini Dozer is our primary piece of equipment.
All getting this have expressed interest in sustaining motorized riding in the Sam Houston National Forest. Riding would NOT be possible absent the Volunteer community making it happen. None of the volunteers are paid. In fact it cost money in gas, food and they take time away from riding or family to serve the needs to get the trail open.
Good News: The Dozer work you see getting done is at the hands of our volunteers. Yes, the SHTC got the Forest Service to allocate a dozer plus a truck and trailer to haul it for FREE. We are held to the same standard as the Forest Service and that starts with safety.
Need: Absent a safety swamper the dozer will NOT be operated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamper_(occupational_title)
In other words, if the community can't put themselves out on the trail to keep the dozer operators safe, the time it takes to get the trail open gets extended. No swampers no dozer. No dozer the string and balloon remain closed. Honestly we need a dispatcher that can help facilitate and make is easier for all involved.
How to Help: Some still ask how to get involved. Call me 936-446-7966. I will ask you to clarify what day you can give a few hrs. 1. You can show up at at the Ranger station at 6:30am to meet David Todd. 2. Go find David along the string and or balloon Saturday and Sunday.

SHTC Quarterly Meeting – August 4th

WHO: SAM HOUSTON TRAILS COALITION MEMBERS AND GUESTS

WHAT: SHTC GENERAL MEETING

WHEN: SATURDAY, August 4th, 2018 8:30 AM – 10:30 AM

We need to be off the property by 10:45 AM

WHERE: Gulf Coast Trades Center – Family Life Center 143 Forest Service Rd. #233, New Waverly, Tx 77358

Back