• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

+++ NO GO +++ NW Arkansas - Road Ride (non-Epic) - 8-9-10-11 October 2015

What Dates WILL you attend? (Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: NW Arkansas - Road Ride (non-Epic) - late Sept / early October 2015

Last year we passed through Eureka Springs but didn't stop there. It wasn't really busy and I could see how scenic it was. We based out of Clarksville which worked well. One day we rode south and hit Mt Magazine which was also an awesome ride.

It's not official yet but I think I have my new assignment so will find out what weekends I have off and when then I'll cast a vote which should be sometime this weekend.

Also, having ridden the K bike last year we saw a group of motards riding and I thought that would be a blast too. So now I'm looking at maybe a new set of wheels for my DR (19 front / 17 rear) to put street or adventure tires on so I could ride the DR in the Ozarks next time. Just a thought. Last year Jerry and I trailered up together but if going alone and bringing the DR I might skip the trailer and just load it in the back of the truck. Heck, I bought the bike in Little Rock and brought it back to Austin in the back of my truck a year and a half ago.

My wife, being a school teacher, will not be able to attend as she can't take the time off. I know she's not willing to drive 8 hours each way to spend one day riding though it'd be worth it. I'd bring the K bike again if she came along.

FYI, taking Hwy 69 north from Dallas sucks. It gets even worse once in Oklahoma (no big surprise). It has to be the roughest highway I've ever driven on. Jerry and I took it last year to IH 40 then east to Clarksville. The interstate was a relief. I drove 69 once again last June in my 1997 Camaro Z28 and it was horrible, took it all the way to Vinita where I took 44 to Springfield, MO. 44 was a Godsend. 69 is the most direct route from DFW area but dang it's rough. I'd seriously consider driving out of the way and adding time and miles to avoid it next time. In a truck without a trailer might be better, towing last year was not fun. Might just head to Little Rock then hook back NW from there.

Last edited:

My sweetheart is interested in the Eureka Springs idea... I can't say it sounds bad to me to have her along, even if she doesn't ride... That sounds like a good idea to me! My step-son heads to boot camp in late September, so the October dates work best for me...

yep, voted...

I bought my 450 KTM from Cycle Town South on the way to Clayton Ok a few years back , I went north east out of the plex on a state highway then cut north directly to Clayton , I almost always avoid interstates even in the truck . All the traffic likes the interstate so I don't . I Almost always go north thru OK then go due east into my destination in Arkansas since the only speed limits in Arkansas over 55 are the interstates. SEYA

Sept 18 is the Mena Rally.

Yep, that was fun.

RB

R9B31BkruE9wt8amPdeASQbVtYIN_p8jTmakZIFNQp8=w1366-h546-no.png

Last edited:

I would like to join the ride. I need a Ark twisty road fix.
I will trailer from Arlington Texas. I have space for another bike and rider.

lets ride :rider:

I voted for the Sept 17 - date . I have some flexibility on dates

Bill

NOTE TO ALL: The Poll is set up so you can select all the dates you can attend, not just the one that is your favorite.

Eh, the first 4 choices I'm off Wed-Fri, the last choice I'm off Fri-Sun. It's harder for me to get Sat-Sun off if not already scheduled. I'll have to look to see if anything is available for me to take off then I'll vote.

I'm open "8-11 October".

OK – so now we know ‘when.’ Oct 8-9-10-11.

Next question – WHERE?

The comments so far seem to favor the following places:

Dogwood Springs – Jasper
The Hub (camping, and cabins - but the cabins are more expensive than cheap hotels elsewhere)
Clarksville / Mena (there are cheap hotels here)
Harrison (there are also cheap hotels here)
Eureka Springs

I will also say that I have received several PMs about the location - almost evenly split between

a) "let's make it someplace fun so 'the wife' can come and do tourist stuff during the day" (translation: Eureka Springs)

and

b) "let's make it someplace cheap so I can go" (translation: not Eureka Springs)

Great - so now what?

Here is a map. I cannot start another poll in this thread - so please post up with your location compatibilities.

Couple of notes........

1) We don't HAVE to all stay the same place - truly, we could stay a couple of places and meet up to ride.

2) Those staying at a cheap hotel can split rooms - that helps a lot.

ANYWAY - everyone wanting to go block out vacation / kitchen passes for 8-9-10-11 October - and here's the next step.....

Attachments

• AR Ride.jpg
    AR Ride.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

MY LOCATION PREFERENCE: Harrison (Days Inn Harrison, $49 listed rate - has a pool)

MY LOCATION PREFERENCE: Harrison (Days Inn Harrison, $49 listed rate - has a pool)

Sounds good to me...

Eureka springs has the touristy spots for the wife too, right?

Translation: my wife isn't a fan of Hot Springs...

Re: NW Arkansas - Road Ride (non-Epic) - 8-9-10-11 October 2015

I'll see if I can get the weekend off. Where we stay isn't a big deal to me and I don't mind sharing a room. Jerry and I shared a room last year as did most folks, that worked out well.

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk.

I would like to join the ride. I need a Ark twisty road fix.
I will trailer from Arlington Texas. I have space for another bike and rider.

lets ride :rider:

I voted for the Sept 17 - date . I have some flexibility on dates

Bill
It's possible if I go then I can take that trailer spot off your hands. I'd ride up to your place, about 2.5 hours away. I don't mind going the whole way on my own if that doesn't work but I'd also trailer my bike. I have room on the trailer for 2-3 bikes also and will be coming from the Austin area if I am able to get the time off.

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk.

Since I can't get Saturday Oct 10 off from work disregard everything I've said up to this point. Hope y'all have fun, it's a great place to ride.

Arrrrgg...

sounds like I'm with you on that one, Not Dave... I'm busted... all looked good... now I'm wrapped up that weekend... There's a chance that I can get away, but I won't know until a day or two before...

Bummer!

Harrison is good with me, I have property in Salem (Hwy 62 and Hwy9)
The ride down Hwy 9 to Hot springs is Epic, as well as Hwy 7 (Pig Tail) I think...:doh: I can get pretty much any of those weekends off, so I will try to make it, Haven't rode with any of you folks, but there is always a first time.
I can truck my bike or ride, only question is condition of my tires....:trust:

Highway 23 is actually the PIG TRAIL, but it is presently closed to thru traffic due to a washout from the river around the Turners bend area. Highway 7 is very scenic and a fantastic ride, but not quite as crazy twisty.

It’s been over a week since we agreed “when” (8-9-10-11 October, remember?) and asked the question “where.” So in the nine days hence, the opinions voiced are……..

Harrison – 3 votes

(Other preference was Eureka Springs, but were from people who subsequently said they do not expect to attend……….)

Makes it easy – HARRISON it is.

Going cheap – here are my ideas:

Days Inn has rooms then for $159 for the 3 nights including tax……if you pay now….. ($187 otherwise)…and includes “complimentary breakfast”……

There is also a locally owned “Family Budget Inn” – total of $167 for 3 nights – and "A complimentary continental breakfast is served each morning at this hotel. " And no cancellation penalty up to the day before (i.e., 7 October)!

I’m thinking FAMILY BUDGET INN.

JETTECH01 and CDC – thoughts?

Neil

Last edited:

Just got back on Wednesday from up there. Temps have already moderated, and it was wonderful riding. A few of the tree species are beggining to drop leaves. By the time you all get up there the colors should be really fine.

Neil, Unfortunately I will not be able to make this ride.

Last edited:
Back