• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Compiling Ghost Towns into Basecamp

Downs

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
I'm currently working on compiling all the ghost towns on the below linked iste into Basecamp with rough GPS coords and some basic notes along with links to the Wikipedia pages for them. I did some googling and could find no GPX file or anything of the like with Texas Ghost Towns already plugged in so decided to do up my own map.

I'm trying to break it down into sections but it's a lot of manual data entry so it may be a while before I get all of Texas done. I got most of the north central and eastern part of the state down from Weatherford to the State line and from the Red River to Waco.

I'm working on everything west of Weatherford to the NM line and from Plainview to Odessa. I may finish that one up tomorrow and start on the panhandle. The site lists 152 points so it'll take a few days maybe a week depending on what I have going on this week. :giveup:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=384f6da0618b4ebfa48a781f5b37309a

Good luck with this. What does it take to be considered a ghost town? Do there still need to be buildings there? Or just the location of where the town used to be is all you need?

From what I've seen on this site there's both kinds. Most of the towns still have some kind of population around. Usually under 100 people still considered living there as of a census collected almost 2 decades ago.

There's even a few in the greater Dallas area that either consist of nothing or are just a cemetery.

I've come across one (online not in person) up by the Red River that's supposed to only have a Masonic lodge and Church still operating and a population of 70 people.

Dunno. It'll be fun to get out and explore around and find them. hardest part will be finding the time.

From what I've seen on this site there's both kinds. Most of the towns still have some kind of population around. Usually under 100 people still considered living there as of a census collected almost 2 decades ago.

There's even a few in the greater Dallas area that either consist of nothing or are just a cemetery.

I've come across one (online not in person) up by the Red River that's supposed to only have a Masonic lodge and Church still operating and a population of 70 people.

Dunno. It'll be fun to get out and explore around and find them. hardest part will be finding the time.

This seems like an awesome adventure waiting to happen! So what's basecamp - so I'm running my iPhone trying to find a capable app to use as GPS - thus far I've been using Scenic which is an app and also Motorcycle roads .com to import the gpx files that I find from other people's trips - I think I'm going to just break down and invest in a ZUMO! I just wanna be able to record my different excursions and unplanned in charted trips at the same time be able to upload your trips and just go go go- right now it's been difficult because the apps suck and it's either always crashing or the files don't come out complete

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

I'm really stoked to see this. I never have really been able to dig up much info on abandoned or ghost like towns around Texas and sure do want to do some day or weekend rides to check them out. I'll be paying close attention to this now. Thanks Downs.

This seems like an awesome adventure waiting to happen! So what's basecamp - so I'm running my iPhone trying to find a capable app to use as GPS - thus far I've been using Scenic which is an app and also Motorcycle roads .com to import the gpx files that I find from other people's trips - I think I'm going to just break down and invest in a ZUMO! I just wanna be able to record my different excursions and unplanned in charted trips at the same time be able to upload your trips and just go go go- right now it's been difficult because the apps suck and it's either always crashing or the files don't come out complete

The phone apps I've used have been ok. But none have been able to be as flexible as Garmin and Basecamp as far as building routes, and being able to upload them to the device and have my route look just like it did on Basecamp. Or require manual entry on the phone which IMO is not an option for long or large route planning. I need at least a netbook screen or larger to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The phone apps I've used have been ok. But none have been able to be as flexible as Garmin and Basecamp as far as building routes, and being able to upload them to the device and have my route look just like it did on Basecamp. Or require manual entry on the phone which IMO is not an option for long or large route planning. I need at least a netbook screen or larger to work with.

....suggestions ?

On the ride we did over the weekend Chris was using OSMAND+ for android and it seemed to work really well. I think the only issue we had was there were some late edits made on the gpx file and the one that got downloaded and shared was not the most current one. I think he is building his map in another program on windows 10 than basecamp, then exporting it as the gpx file and pulling it into his phone on OSMAND+. We talked about the use of base camp and the general consensus is that it's not too friendly to windows 10 laptops and tablets. I have problems with it trying to work on my tablet specifically which is a shame because its a smallish unit that is very good on battery life with a microsd slot and usb. I use it to run the dynojet stuff for the PC 3 on my Vstrom and when it is in standby mode it will last several days without a charge, but handily recharges through the USB cable. I put a post in Chris's ride post to follow up on what program he is using in Windows and maybe what we can do is figure out a combination of importing, exporting, and moving the file around between the various applications and programs needed.
I have a folder on dropbox and I can link it and upload anything anyone wants that others can download. I was on the verge of getting a paid dropbox account so that people can share and add at will but just have not gotten around to it yet. It's only 99 bucks a year and I need something to share some larger files with some gaming friends as well so it would not be any obligation to anyone other than myself.

Think it over and if that seems reasonable let me know and I will go ahead and do it and then we can use it to keep the softwares needed to download directly as well as gpx files or whatever other kind of expords needed (kdx's and other proprietary formats).

I'm currently running windows ten and Basecamp on a cheap Lenovo idea pad. Dimensionally it's a little larger than I'd like for travel use but is lightweight and has been running Basecamp smoother than my larger older laptops that supposedly have more horsepower. Has a 8 hour in use battery life and if I only use it at the Academy for school stuff I'll get a solid two days of use from it before having to recharge it.

I will admit that Basecamp isn't the most user friendly program but for what I do with GPS it's been the best option I've found for somewhat quickly and easily planning longer routes. Between that and old Mapsource software I've been using Garmin's sometimes infuriating software for a long time and after getting used to it haven't found anything that works better.

I've got two gmail accounts. One personal and one for work and more official purposes and each includes15 gigs of google drive storage. My personal one has a lot of stuff in it and I have a public folder all my GPS info, tracks, routes ect are in.

It would be too hard to start a TWTEX GPS google drive account and use thatbfor free.

Last edited:
Finished another quadrant plus part of another today. I have it divided up into north central east, north central west, south central west, south central east, pan handle, and far west. So far I have panhandle, north central east and west and part of south central west. I might be able to finish that tomorrow.

The panhandle was easy. Just a handful of marked ghost towns up there.

All waypoints. I hope the data I input in the notes xfers in a GPX file. The first link is all the waypoints in one file. The others are divided up based on the section I was working on and including the areas covered in the pics.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkTDJqNDdMeEZRcm8

Far South
18198309_10213118685587898_6478839433971593528_n.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkNDVFcGVjNGxZWms

Far West
18199253_10213118685507896_7610054025303845248_n.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkbFJtSVlSajlDd3c

North Central East
18157052_10213118685627899_6913796527512607853_n.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkbXB6OWtLUzZlWU0

North Central West
18057888_10213118686707926_8863159515668468781_n.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkZEQzTmpJYTQ5ZTA

Panhandle
18058147_10213118685947907_6759673569707488130_n.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkbDVyOVc1d1hiR2s

South Central East
18119215_10213118686147912_3795066365873822341_n.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkeUExREQwa0drTVU

South Central West
18057902_10213118686387918_6490213248713369851_n.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3GpfhptJepkWGhhdXp6Y051TUU

Let me know if those links don't work. They should as it's a shareable link but we will see.

Last edited:
Back