• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fayetteville DS Loop

Hail

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Thanks to curt (MaxGS) for originally plotting this one out. The first 12 to 14 miles is all pavement. We really wanted to have an easily recognizable meet spot for this. That is Buc-ee's or Waller Co. BBQ at 290 & 362.

•Lunch at Orsak's Café in Fayetteville.
•One water crossing depending on precipitation and
•one nice old grated bridge.
•Big and small bike friendly.
•Nothing technical.
•80% gravel roads.

Capture_1.jpg

Fayetteville%20Loop.jpg

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Fayetteville DS Loop v3.gpx
    103.7 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Am I doing something wrong, this file is not working. I have a Garmin Zumo 395.
I plan to do this route the coming Sunday. it says the file is damages.
Please help.
Fayetteville DS Loop v3.gpx (103.7 KB, 29 views)

Please help.

Try using Google Chrome to upload it. It worked for me when I tried it.

Please help.

It's something stupid easy! I've done it in Base Camp. This might help. But that still looks like more steps than I remember. I thought I just imported and right clicked.

https://help.routeyou.com/en/topic/view/253/basecamp-garmin

I use BaseCamp with streetview. :rider:

Sadly I think that Hails super informative Basecamp thread has bit the dust. Not all routable maps can do this route. For example, the old City Navigator would not allow the Cummins Creek crossing. That is the section on the bottom left of the route where the route is near the railroad tracks.

My TomTom software seemed to import it effortlessly. I may try this out on my Super Adventure this weekend. I"m suspecting it'll do the water crossing because if I don't tell the Tom Tom to stay on pavement it's always turning me down dirt roads and seemingly into peoples pasture roads! lol

Of course with the weather this week the water may be deeper than I would attempt!

Last edited:
How much of that route is "pig" friendly? Strom/Versys capable? Looks like a nice route, but I'd have to make a weekend camping trip to do it.

Depends on the rider, but I'd say all of it after taking the BMW club along many of these same roads. SilverBullet has covered most of it on his Strom in the past. I've ridden parts of it on my RT and Road Thing does parts of it on his Road King. With the exception of the Cummins Creek crossing it's all good gravel so the main issue is tires. The real sandy stuff
in the neighborhood is south of I10 between Gonzales and Shiner.

Please help.

So I was kind of wrong. I have basecamp and city navigator. All I had to do was click on the link and it prompted me to "open with" and I picked basecamp. Seems to all be there. I zoomed in and it looks just like the pic. But I can't find the creek crossing on either.

I'm thinking of riding this tomorrow. I'm in Elgin. I would start at the Buckies on 362 and 290 and head south. Head out around 8AM.

Please help.

I don't know if this helps. But I got it to open in google maps. I opened the file and used base camp when prompted "open with."
Then I clicked FILE and export, to my collections. When prompted where do I want to save the file, I chose desktop and renamed it.

Now go to Google maps. One the search bar on the top left of the map, there are the 3 bars (menu), click on the menu and then your places. You'll have 4 tabs/options to click on. Click maps. Then click create map at the bottom. Next you have the option to Import. From there you just have to pick it from your desk top.

Sadly I think that Hails super informative Basecamp thread has bit the dust. Not all routable maps can do this route. For example, the old City Navigator would not allow the Cummins Creek crossing. That is the section on the bottom left of the route where the route is near the railroad tracks.

OH! I see what you're talking about. Google maps doesn't see the crossing either. You can see it in satellite view though. So far, my base camp with city navigator shows the complete route over the crossing.

If this link works, here's a google map for you.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UKaLaJlt82vPosbGrymuQzs0jMtZcnL6&usp=sharing

You should be able to use your phone with it.

I rode part of the loop on Saturday 6/23 until a leaking rear tire cut it short near Fayetteville. Here's the story if you want to read it. NOTE THE PART ABOUT THE CLOSED ROAD.

I live in Houston near Jersey village so I just headed west and went out to the 99/GrandParkway and West Rd area to look at some new parks that I heard have fishing to check out the details, then from there I took West Rd (becoming Sharp Rd) which has a dirt section leading out to 362, then headed south from there.

CLOSED ROAD - From there I followed the track which has both some nice dirt roads some nice paved twisties out to Sealy/SanFelipe. After crossing the Brazos River bridge I turned onto Park Rd 38, turned left at Peach Street, and right on Peters San Felipe Rd and after a short distance found dirt piled on the road (if there were earlier signs, I missed them). I rode around it as it was pretty smooth and discovered why it was blocked. The edges of the pavement are washed out from previous flooding around the little bridge there. it was fine for a motorcycle then then I got to more dirt (3-4 feet high) and saw where people had been driving around although it had mud, deep ruts, and a foot of water. Since I was by myself and relatively new to off road (riding a KTM Super Adventure) I didn't want to get in over my head and get in a bind so I turned around and went a little farther south to loop around and picked up Peters San Felipe Rd again heading NW. I can post up a map showing all of this if needed.

So them I carried on my merry way. All the dirt roads are in good shape. Mostly flat, no ruts, mostly loose to firm dirt, and large-gravel. No loose sand more then an inch deep. One section was in the process of being graded/maintained so it was a little softer but nothing that made this newbie TOO nervous.

THEN as I was looking forward to checking out the water crossing in a few miles, I turned left off Wilde Rd onto 40 (Stokes Rd) and my LCD screen flashes "WARNING - Low tire pressure". So I immediately stopped and sure enough I had lost over 6 pounds of air out of my rear tire. So I told the GPS to find gas stations knowing I was close to Fayetteville and wanted the shortest route. In that maybe 2 minutes time I had lost 2 more pounds of air. I got going and made it out to Hwy 159 and headed to town but pulled into somebody's driveway as the pressure dropped into the low 20's. My Slime compressor fortunately put air in faster than I was losing it so I got it above 40 psi and headed into town. While it was inflating I looked all over the tire and wheel and couldn't find anything in the tire or where it was leaking.

I checked everything in town, still couldn't find the leak, and decided to try to head home. I made it the 85 miles home via Brenham and 290 while stopping twice to refill the tire up to 45 psi and stopping when it got down to about 24. I had people on standby to come to the rescue if I didn't make it.

So some folks don't like the electronics, but the TPS on the KTM was a huge asset, not to mention the different suspension and engine modes that make this monster bike into a docile beast on both pavement and dirt. I'll try this trip again at a later day. Now I have to head out to the garage to find that leak!

Last edited:
Nice. The AT is the first bike I've ever owned that had any electronics. The TC saved me twice from sliping out from under me on a turn and the abs saved me once in town when a lady pulled out in front of me. I wouldn't mind TPS and cruz.

I finally figured out what Meriden was talking about with the GPS. The Basecamp pulls the route just find. But trying to load that route once I loaded it into the gps wont work because of the creek crossing. What I have to do is make two different routes. One from Bukees to the creed and then one from the creek to the end. Isn't hard, but by the time I figured out what the issue was I was too aggravated lol.

The KTM was out before the Honda and I decided to get it instead of waiting to compare off paper. For me personally it was the right decision after seeing the AT. I like to ride distance on the street and know I wanted cruise and the semi-active suspension.

About the water crossing... the Tom Tom software showed it going through, but after importing it to the unit it went around. So I knew I was about to have to ignore an upcoming turn to go across. I think I would have to do like you mentioned with 2 routes to avoid the generated detour!

FWIW, check your "avoidances" as well. They need to match between basecamp and the unit or you may end up with two different routes. This is another situation we had with club rides. A guy would make a route, send it out to the club, each guy would have different avoidances and none would calculate the route the same. I did what you guys did and just made two routes.

Another good water crossing in the area is Dungens Mill Road.

Back