• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dealership Service Headaches

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Wells III
Got my bike back last friday and there were a few service issues when in there but when i was told it was ready. I get there to see one of the pegs to be replaced wasn't then i open my new top case to put stuff in it and the top case lights are just laying inside. So got with the service writer who got with the tech that took the light kit out of the old case and was suppose to install in the new one. He said he wasn't getting any power and checked it. I knew they were working when i brought it in. So i'm getting a little pissed and the service writer said he can order the part from Admore to fix it. I said F- it i just want to go. So he's really trying to make it right saying they'll cover the cost and what-not. I told him it was just probably a loose wire at the harness that probably got tugged on so i would check it when i got home. Got home took off the seat and looked at the harness. Yep one wire sticking out so i fixed it and connect the wiring together to see if it worked and it did. So kinda pissed if they would have went ahead and drilled the hole i could have installed it myself. Told them i would be in today for them to finish up the job. But on friday i sent a video of how to run the wiring and the holes that would need to be drilled and sent then the link to the instructions from Admore web-site.

Hello Brian,

Hers a couple of things that will come in handy……

1.[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hNAdZ8Fqs"]E55 Top Case AdMore LED Lighting kit install - YouTube[/ame]

2.https://admorelighting.com/Web Instructions/AdMore LED55-T-TS CG Installation Instructions.pdf

Thanks,
Joseph

Took it in today and waited for them to get it done so when the bring it to me he shows me that everything works correctly except a few of the running lights on the right blinker. So i said i would look at it when i got home. Well had to run some errands and was putting my jacket and helmet in the top case and noticed how they ran the wires....Bingo i think i found the problem.....

37051600181_282b012c43_h.jpg
P1020080 by weljo2001, on Flickr

37003633116_adf432cf2a_h.jpg
P1020081 by weljo2001, on Flickr

37003633716_1d70dba1a1_h.jpg
P1020082 by weljo2001, on Flickr

I know I'm kinda picky but this is just sloppy work. I even asked did the same guy take the light kit out of the old case and they said yes...So he knew how the new one should be done and 2 holes would have to be drilled to run the wires. Maybe he's just lazy or doesn't give a crap..

Last edited:
I wish I knew where this hideous service took place, so I can make sure & avoid it.

It's dang hard to find good mechanics or service.

Del Amo Motorsports in Long Beach California. The sad part is its the dealership i bought the bike at and took it to them after a guy opened his door on me while i was lane splitting. So with parts and labor they got right at 4 grand. Most was cosmetic so at least they didn't touch anything important.

I had a great dealership in Ft.Worth, Tx when i was there. Honda/Kawasaki West they always did fantastic work for me...

Only have one thing to say about that.
https://goo.gl/images/VEadY4

Insurance paid for it. I tried to get them to let me order the top case and i would install the light kit myself but they got with the dealership and had them order it and paid to have them install the light kit. The dealership charged them $395.00 for the case when you can get it everywhere for $328.50.

Weljo2001 said: "Maybe he's just lazy or doesn't give a crap..."

Maybe alot of both? :doh:

Come back to Texas bud, we've pretty much dried up; mostly. :sun:

Peace y'all, e.

Weljo2001 said: "Maybe he's just lazy or doesn't give a crap..."

Maybe alot of both? :doh:

Come back to Texas bud, we've pretty much dried up; mostly. :sun:

Peace y'all, e.

Would love to get back to Texas. But theres this cute little gal thats the reason i moved out to Cali. As long as we still like each other it looks like i'm stuck here. Been here since 2004 :doh:

Insurance paid for it. I tried to get them to let me order the top case and i would install the light kit myself but they got with the dealership and had them order it and paid to have them install the light kit. The dealership charged them $395.00 for the case when you can get it everywhere for $328.50.

Did not know this was related to an insurance claim and was wondering why you did not install it yourself and why you had to give them links / video for the installation.

Sometimes dealings with service organizations are very frustrating, particularly when you know as much or more than they do!

Did not know this was related to an insurance claim and was wondering why you did not install it yourself and why you had to give them links / video for the installation.

Sometimes dealings with service organizations are very frustrating, particularly when you know as much or more than they do!

So true,

Provided all the info i could to make it easier on them because i know its not a stock item and they may not be familiar with it. Was trying to do everything i could to avoid something like this.:giveup:

If that's how they work, especially after you gave them everything they need for the simple job, at least you know to not ever go back. That's absolutely pitiful work. Ignorant & apathetic with no sense of pride in workmanship.

If that's how they work, especially after you gave them everything they need for the simple job, at least you know to not ever go back. That's absolutely pitiful work. Ignorant & apathetic with no sense of pride in workmanship.

They lost me as a customer. The main reason being. The day after the accident ( I didn't post a video of the accident here because of the language in it ) I took the bike to the dealership i bought it from because i like to have a relationship with the dealer. I had to sign off on a accident apprasial fee ( $250.00 )if we had them appraise the damage but didn't have them do the work. I checked with my insurance first and they said no biggie and i made sure to ask the service writer again that if the bike was repaired there i would not be charged the fee. He said that was correct so i signed it. They had the bike a couple of weeks waiting on parts and called me on a saturday and said the bike was ready to ride but they were waiting on the frame sliders and gear shift lever and that could be another week or so. So if i wanted to get the bike now and bring it back when the final parts came in that would be fine. Insurance had already paid for everything and also waived my deductible because the guy that hit me was 100% at fault. So the service guy asked me "You were hit right" I said yes so he goes then you will need to pay the accident appraisal fee. I said what how is that. He goes it was the other guys fault so you can go after him. So we went back and forth on what i was told before i brought them the bike so he said he would talk to his supervisor. I called my insurance and explained what had occurred. They said the fee should be dropped but they went ahead and paid it so i wouldn't have to. I will say I have AAA insurance on my bike and they went above and beyond with how they handled my accident. My dealership on the other hand well i can't post what I'd really like to say...

Last edited:
:tab I go to a dealer for service only as a last resort. If I really have to have something done that I cannot do, I try to find a local private shop. In North Houston we have Motorcycles Unlimited run by Patrick Hart. I have been using him since around 2003 or so I think. He has worked on multiple bikes. He has rebuilt my Ohlins suspension several times (because I abuse it...). He did a fantastic repair of a friend's ST-1300 that I borrowed, insured (thank goodness!), and managed to trash :doh: He cares about the quality of the work done in his shop and doesn't have that take it or leave it mentality so common to dealerships.

:tab I would do some asking around and try real hard to find a good local shop. It is usually worth the effort.

Since changing my employment to a job that requires quite a bit of travel, I have found myself in need of shop that I can trust. Since my local Kawasaki shop parts guy didn't even know that the "big dual sport" bike I was riding was a Kawasaki, my faith in their staff and abilities has been somewhat shaken.

The "big dual sport" in question:

MaKeU8q.jpg

:tab I go to a dealer for service only as a last resort. If I really have to have something done that I cannot do, I try to find a local private shop. In North Houston we have Motorcycles Unlimited run by Patrick Hart. I have been using him since around 2003 or so I think. He has worked on multiple bikes. He has rebuilt my Ohlins suspension several times (because I abuse it...). He did a fantastic repair of a friend's ST-1300 that I borrowed, insured (thank goodness!), and managed to trash :doh: He cares about the quality of the work done in his shop and doesn't have that take it or leave it mentality so common to dealerships.

:tab I would do some asking around and try real hard to find a good local shop. It is usually worth the effort.

Yep,

I have been lucky and have found 2 really good independant shops close to me that i use when needed. But i took it to the dealer where i bought it because i thought it might be easier to deal with since most the parts would be ordered through Kawasaki. That was my first mistake.... Live & Learn..

Since changing my employment to a job that requires quite a bit of travel, I have found myself in need of shop that I can trust. Since my local Kawasaki shop parts guy didn't even know that the "big dual sport" bike I was riding was a Kawasaki, my faith in their staff and abilities has been somewhat shaken.

MaKeU8q.jpg

:eek2::eek2:

MaKeU8q.jpg

Beautiful dual sport you have there!

Take the crappy shop to small claims. YOUR accident/repair estimate including videos are worth the SAME hourly rate the "shop" charged to do a ripoff. My .02
Good luck

MaKeU8q.jpg

I love the knobbly tyres, they must be fantastic in the mud. ����

Last edited:
They're fantastic! I can hotshoe it around curves and roost massive waves of dirt into the sky.

MaKeU8q.jpg
really like the DS seat. I wish my DR
had one.

MaKeU8q.jpg

The ignorance of a lot of dealership staff to the products they sell is often nothing short of astonishing. I was in Woods the other day and a salesman didn't realize that the 'Z1000", "Ninja 1000" and "ZX-10" were in fact three different models. I've been to a Yamaha shop that thought the Vmax was an outboard engine (it is, but this dealer didn't sell marine and apparently had never heard of the motorcycle). I've been told the FZ-09 was a 900cc four cylinder. Could go on and on with dealer staff stories. I don't expect every salesperson to memorize the spec sheet of every model on the floor, but come on. Maybe at least be able to recognize the product line?

Having worked at dealers in the past, that kind of sloppy, lazy work is not even a little surprising. Most dealers have 1 or 2 "A" level techs. They're kept busy with the major services- engine rebuilds, ect. Everything else is handled by whoever walks in the door and has a toolbox.

I've always joked that I should be a motorcycle or car salesperson. I'm a compulsive researcher when I'm buying something and always know more about their products than they do.

I might actually do it if being inside a dealership didn't make me feel like I need a shower.

Back