• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

'70's Honda CL Scrambler Twin - next project

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
On the hunt for my next project bike. I think an early '70s Honda CL Scrambler would fit nicely among my other 3 Hondas.

I want a parallel twin. 175, 250, 350, 450 in size. I'm leaning toward the 350.

Any suggestions what to look for? Where? Particular model or year? Known issues?

I had great luck on my last TWT project purchase.

Last edited:
After much research, I've pretty much decided on the 350's. Specifically the CL350; I like the '72 model.

I had as my first street bike, a CL100. I loved the look and it was fun.

But I dont want that small of a bike and I dont want a big bike. So Im thinking 350 should fit well.

Any websites or organizations would you suggest I look to learn more or to find a bike?

Last edited:
I did a full restoration project on a '72 CL350 within the past couple of years. hondatwins.net is a great resource. Lots of very knowledgeable folks. I have a project thread over there on my CL350. I sold mine last summer when I got into dual sport bikes. Are you looking for a deep-dive project or something to refurbish and ride?
a183c60ec66654e8b8d03fa78d41b77a.jpg

Last edited:
Depends upon whether one wants to ride, ride a lot, or just build and show has a huge difference between which old Honda to build. Parts availability is critical if you ride as much as I do my 350.

Another factor is whether to get locked into one bike or be open to the best bike available. You can desire a CL350 for its around town and occasional jaunt on the freeway but a CL450 in better condition can do that but won't have as many available parts.

IIRC, the 250s were never imported.

Likely you will first find a CB350 and I think the main difference is the pipes. I prefer the look of the 69 350s with the two tone paint on the tank.

If you are looking for a good sl350, I got a private message about a week ago from a TWTer selling his.

CCasey, that is a beautiful job you did on that CL350.

Last edited:
Thanks y'all.

First off, that is a beautiful CL350 ccasey! That is kind of the look I am wanting.

I want a vintage Honda that takes me back to my younger years; there are certain models of Hondas that I love to look at and want to ride. Mostly the smaller/midrange on/offroad models. I am not set on a particular model, but I like the 250cc to 650cc and I want a twin cylinder.

I'm looking for a project to "piddle" with, tinker, polish, paint, rebuild. I have my other bikes to ride, so I can take my time. Plus, my son is Lead Tech at a motorcycle shop, so he can help me do an engine rebuild; I have skills to do the rest (except for paint and powder coating). It doesn't have to be a perfect restoration, just nice looking, safe and so I can show it off.

I don't plan to ride it much; I will rotate it among my other bikes.

I already have my "big bike" my '14 CB1100 that is my modern streetbike, but it looks vintage. Plus, I just added my '82 XL250R for all my dual sport duties. I ride each of them every other week. For dirt is my '87 TLR200 trials, though not street legal.

I will look into the Honda Twins site and I am looking into the VJMC and North Texas Norton Owners Association. I met a guy in Arlington that is specializing in Vintage, and leaning toward Honda 350's.

I will let y'all know what I eventually end up with.
SL350 PM sent.

Back