• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mena AR and Back - a quickie ride

I heard once that Idaho was proof that God wanted us to ride motorcycle s. I think Arkansas is right up there with it.

Mike b

I heard once that Idaho was proof that God wanted us to ride motorcycle s. I think Arkansas is right up there with it.

Mike b

Arkansas is probably one of the most moto-tourism friendly state in the US. Everyone goes out of there way to say hello to bikers. The sheer number of excellent roads - both paved and dirt - is mind boggling.

Gotta love Highway 123...

v60waf.jpg

Arkansas is probably one of the most moto-tourism friendly state in the US. Everyone goes out of there way to say hello to bikers.

:tab True. I was once standing in a gas station talking to a local. He casually mentioned that Arkansas is where Texans come to crash their motorcycles :lol2: It was hard to disagree with him :doh:

The sheer number of excellent roads - both paved and dirt - is mind boggling.

:tab Definitely true! Every time I go there I wrack my brains trying to create routes that hit as many roads as possible in one trip with a minimum of backtracking or duplication. It is always so hard to decide what roads to leave OUT of the routes rather than which ones to include... Riding a dual sport just exacerbates the problem ten fold!

:tab Mmm... 123... :rider:

Expensive road.

This time, I had several close calls with deer, logging trucks cutting sharp tangents on the switchbacks and fresh chip seal with a layer of fine sand on top (from Lurton past Ft. Douglas) on Highway 123 - all had it's moments.

Overall, the roads have been a serpentine, knee dragging happy romp through the deep woods affair - isolated enough so that if you hear banjo music, you probably need to ride faster.

:lol2:

Highway 74 has fresh, smooth asphalt and it was an amazing set of twisties all the way to bottom of 21 near the town of Weathers.

:clap:

RB

Last edited:
will be up that way staying off AR21 near Ponca AR but in the Boston Mountain for 8 days starting Friday evening . burning some vacation time both offroad and twistys for sure .
CHEERS

It was expensive because I spent a good amount of time chasing down an FJR ridden by a competent rider. Seeing what it could do and knowing it would fit my other needs, well, I was shopping when I got home. :D

:tab Definitely true! Every time I go there I wrack my brains trying to create routes that hit as many roads as possible in one trip with a minimum of backtracking or duplication. It is always so hard to decide what roads to leave OUT of the routes rather than which ones to include... Riding a dual sport just exacerbates the problem ten fold!

:tab Mmm... 123... :rider:

The Butler Maps of the Ozarks has so many solid red and yellow routes, I can't keep track of them.

:sun:

RB

The Butler Maps of the Ozarks has so many solid red and yellow routes, I can't keep track of them.

:sun:

RB

True dat. Although Mena is near the southern edge of the map. So if you ride the immediate Mena area and then head south, you pretty much fall off of Butler World in a hurry.

:tab True. I was once standing in a gas station talking to a local. He casually mentioned that Arkansas is where Texans come to crash their motorcycles :lol2: It was hard to disagree with him :doh:

That is pretty darn funny.:lol2: I was there in August and October, glad I didn't crash. There is always next time though.:doh:

Back