• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of a KTM 500 EXC

Anyone considering an EXC may first want to evaluate their riding skills. KTM's are street legal race bikes with race-oriented geometries, which are sometimes not the best choice for people with limited off-road experience. And while the 500 will lay waste to the AT in the woods, it also has relatively "twitchy" characteristics on the street.

The OP may have extensive dirt experience, which is a definite plus. If not, it may pay dividends to find a loaner KTM/dual sport and spend a day riding in various conditions. With its ability to deliver explosive power instantaneously, the 500 demands a rider's full attention. In the hands of the right person (aka KirbyKajin), it's magic. A novice may walk away with a different opinion.

:tab A lot of truth here. When I got my 530 EXC, I was not what I would call an experienced dirt rider. I started on an 1150 GS, then went to a KLR, then got my EXC. However, I think my riding skills progressed the fastest once I got the EXC because it just handles so well and inspires confidence. With the GS and KLR, I was always fighting the bike's limitations, wearing myself out in the process, and developing "coping" skills that weren't necessarily good dirt riding skills. I've had to unlearn a few of those since getting the EXC.

:tab The power difference is huge. So I have to be much more aware of what I am doing with the throttle, what my traction situation might be, and where I am pointing before I get on the gas. That increased awareness has served to make me a better rider because I can't be as sloppy as I was on the GS and KLR. To be fair though, I did quite a bit of great adventure riding on the GS and KLR, but I was trying to ride them outside their optimum performance envelope. Even the EXC is a real handful on a trail like the Rim Trail in Cloudcroft, which is 30 miles of rocky, wooded, and steep single track. There I was really wishing I was on a 250 or something instead!

:tab I've not yet ridden a newer 500 EXC, for good reason... I might decide I can't live without it and I really don't need to be buying one right now. That said, my 530 is an absolute blast on the twisty bits of pavement. I've ridden it in places like North Carolina where the roads are crazy tight and twisty, and it was more fun than a sport bike on the same roads. That was even while running full knobbies. The lightweight and serious power make it intoxicating when shooting out of a corner, flipping it over, and setting up for the next corner. Top speeds aren't real high because there are rarely any straight sections, so it is all about acceleration and braking. The brakes on the EXC just blow away the KLR brakes, as does the suspension. I am no stranger to flogging a KLR through the twisties, and it is fun, but there is just no comparison. Rsquared and I had some fantastic rides chasing each other up and down the Blue Ridge, him on his 450 EXC and me on the 530. I can also run 75 mph down the free way through a busy city like Phoenix while fully loaded down and the bike is totally stable. No twitching at all.

:tab Sometimes the twitchy thing can be the result of the suspension not being setup properly. My KLR was REALLY soft on the front end and the previous owner had the steering stem nut loose. I almost crashed the bike just going about 60 mph in a straight line. Properly torquing the steering stem nut, putting in slightly stiffer fork springs, putting in slightly heavier fork oil, and then setting the front/rear sag made a massive difference in the handling of the bike. If the suspension is not set up properly, that can have a big impact on the geometry of the bike and its handling.

:tab I know there are a lot of riders that swear by steering dampers but I have never really felt the need for one. It makes me wonder if maybe some folks don't have their suspension set up right? Of course, for serious racing I'd probably have one, but I don't race. I do like riding in deep gravel, sand, and silt though. There have been some times when riding in really rocky situations where I would have liked to have a damper installed to handle the side deflections of the front wheel when it makes a glancing blow on a rock rather than just rolling over it.

:tab A BIG factor for me wanting the 500 is the fuel injection. When my 530 is properly jetted and not clogged by nasty alcohol laced fuel, it runs like crazy! But if I let it sit more than a few weeks without remembering to either drain the carb or to put in Stabil, it is a real pain to get it running well again. Typically I have to pull and replace the idle jet because I just can't ever seem to get them clean enough with wire or an ultrasonic bath to work well. They are cheap, so simply replacing them is not a big deal, other than the hassle of getting to the jets. I had very similar issues with my KLR. My fuel injected 1200 GS does not have these issues.

:tab For a few years, I had my KLR and a 1200 GS. That is a common combination. However, for me, they were just too similar in what they could do. The GS can do the rough stuff almost as well as the KLR but blows it away on the pavement. The KLR was not really suited for the more technical riding I was wanting to do, so the 530 just made more sense. If I want to run dirt roads, forest service roads, and hit the highway, then the GS is perfectly capable of that, even two up. But, when I want to ride stuff like Moab, the high passes of SW Colorado, some single track, etc,... the 530 does it all WAY better than the KLR. But not everyone can have two bikes, in which case the KLR is a great choice as long as you recognize its limitations. For most any riding you might do in Texas, other than single track trails, the KLR will get it done just fine, as would the GS, or the AT. Something like the 530/500 would be what I would choose for places like the Big Bend Ranch State Park with its really rough and steep two track "roads", or going to places like I mentioned above.

:tab So if your question is whether or not you will enjoy having a 500 in addition to your AT, I would say a definite yes IF you plan to be riding stuff that is much more technical than dirt roads and/or single track stuff. I've done the week long camping trips off my 530, and I may do it again, but I think it would be more fun to base out of the same location each day and just ride loops out and back so I would not have to carry the extra weight of all the gear. So I would head down to Mexico on the 530 and stay somewhere like Galeana, riding for a week or so, then riding back home. I probably would not take it for an extended open ended trip where I am constantly on the move for more than a few weeks.

David, for a South America trip I would take a properly set up DR due to being more comfy for long perods, also KISS keep it simple, if you do have problems a DR can probably be fixed much easier.. On top of that a DR can be loaded down like a pack mule with no worries..

:tab Somewhere here on TWT there is a great ride report by Troy (can't remember his username). He is based out of Austin I believe. As a relatively new rider, he got a DR650 a few years ago and headed South, wandering all over Central and South America. It is definitely worth the read!

Scott, thanks for the info. Yes, I am a very experienced dirt rider, 25+ years racing moto-x, desert, enduros, observed trials, TT... I spent most of my life on 250's, but moved into the larger bikes as I got older. Raced a Maco 500 and CR500 for a while, boy those will teach you about throttle control real quick.

I love the AT, but it isn't a dirt bike, guess that is why I am so stuck on the KTM. I tried the XR650L, but wasn't a dirt bike either. It was ok, but with the twin, the XR became redundant. I would take the twin anyplace I would take the XR.

:tab Somewhere here on TWT there is a great ride report by Troy (can't remember his username). He is based out of Austin I believe. As a relatively new rider, he got a DR650 a few years ago and headed South, wandering all over Central and South America. It is definitely worth the read!

The Adventure Begins... Tejas A La Tierra

I know I know, I have a mental card file on most of the ride reports here and on ADV

You would think I could have remembered his username given that I was able to remember his real name :doh: I have a real issue with names... :roll:

The Adventure Begins... Tejas A La Tierra

I know I know, I have a mental card file on most of the ride reports here and on ADV

Thanks for posting this, I'll cruise thru it tonight. I'm not necessarily in the market for another moto (last time I counted I had 6, 7 if I count my college aged daughters' scooter), but when I replace my XRL, the KTM500 will be a front runner.

For example, if I go to South America and burn 20,000 miles, would the KTM be the right bike if I wanted something light? Or, would a DR650 be a better bike because it may not need a piston while on the trip, notwithstanding it being slower and heavier?

You are in luck - Aaron S. over on advrider has been posting a ride report that answers your question. He rode his KTM 500 around New Zealand and then shipped it to the southern tip of South America. From there he rode it to Oregon.

He put 510 hours on the motor and rode 37,000 kilometers. He had the valves check in San Diego and they were fine. He did normal maintenance (oil changes, air filter cleaning) on the bike and had no major issues/failures.

He estimates that all his luggage weighed about 65 lbs or so.

Here is his summary, "...the bike has 510hrs and 37000k.
It's running as good as ever and not using oil between changes.

A couple things I liked about my set up was I was only as wide as my bars with the soft luggage which meant in cities I could lane split and I saved a huge amount of time getting through and out of big cities.

Another thing was it opens up more accommodation for you as it's surprising where some people will let you park if it fits in a door.

Oil changes ok yes I had to do them more often but it's so quick and easy and I would just stop when I saw a old bike workshop somewhere pay them a little money to take the old oil and it was also a good chance to meet more local people. They always loved looking over my bike.

Also the obvious which is I could go explore and get to more remote places than a big bike and not be worried about dropping it or getting stuck. I rode with a guy for part of Colombia who has years of experience but had to turn around on one of the days when we went exploring some back roads as it got muddy. It was the right choice for his bike (Transalp) but I carried on and it was a awesome road after the mud with a huge waterfall as a reward at the end of it.

Also going through the ruta las lagunas from San Pedro de Atacama to Uyuni Bolivia I wouldn't of wanted to be on any other bike. Some days it's just hours of corners up over the Andes and down the other side and been so light I didn't tire as much as riding a huge overloaded bike.

Ok the downside. The seat. I got the seat concepts and it was worth every cent. It's still not as comfy as other bikes but not as bad as some say it is. I also like to stand a lot so my butt got a rest now and then and I was reminded more often to stand than other bikes.

Reliability is the big one people will bring up saying that it will never do that distance. Well I guess I proved that wrong.

Maybe I got lucky and got a good one now it's up to all of you out there to rack up the hours and miles to back me up on that point.

Sure it won't last as long as say a ktm990 or big BMW but it lasted long enough for me and 37000k will get you around the world so ask yourself how long will it take for you to wear one out?

If I had to do it over I would pick the same bike. It's not everyone's choice and I get that but I've always liked to ride dirt bikes over road bikes and I like the power the sound and the feel of that motor and not sure what other bike wheel stands as easy.

At the end of the day sure the bike may not be for everyone but the journey is so pick a bike any bike get your butt on it and go. There is a journey within all of us it's up to us to decide to take it."

Here is the link to his ride report. Worth reading in its entirety.

At the end of the day sure the bike may not be for everyone but the journey is so pick a bike any bike get your butt on it and go. There is a journey within all of us it's up to us to decide to take it."

This.

Speaking of reliability...

I've only put a few miles on my 2015 KTM 500 EXC so I don't have any experience with how reliable or not that it will turn out to be.

However, I have owned 2 x KLRs, 2 x DRZs, a XR650L, and a Husky TE610. I put almost 20,000 miles on the TE610 and it tied with one of the DRZs in best reliability. (And I only put a few thousand miles on that DRZ. The guy that owns it today is having issues with it right now.) The other DRZ was average reliability. The XR650L has been the least reliable (two engine rebuilds costing about $3000 total in only about 3000 miles of riding). One of the KLRs had poor reliability and one was average reliability.

I realize the Japanese dual sport bikes are praised for their reliability but that hasn't been true for the ones I've owned. One has been good. Others, less so.

In terms of manufacture recommended maintenance frequency, the KTM is at the top of the list. I understood that when I bought it. The more important factor for me is reliability. If it equals the Husky or the DRZ in reliability, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
I personally would go with a lightly used XCW and convert it, because no smog stuff to start with and to switch to a bigger tank smog stuff (charcoal canister) has to be removed.. I have a 13 XCW and the most fun bike I have ever rode especially when it`s in its element. Big Bend!!:rider:

That response is a clear giveaway that you have not ridden a 2017. :lol2: (just teasing).

I have owned multiple KTMs (two/three at a time) continuously since 2001, when I bought a 520 EXC. I still have that bike. KTM the company is pretty good about making incremental changes that make their new bike a bit better than the old model. Since 2001 KTM is on their 4th chassis revision. That is pretty conservative. That being said....

Each version is slightly improved over the previous. That is until now. The new chassis (I think I have said it now three times just in this thread) is a leap forward. I am not saying this to make everyone that has an old one feel bad about what they own. The older ones are still outstanding bikes. I have to keep telling that to myself too because I don't have a new one either. I have spent time on the new two strokes and the new four strokes. They are incredibly good, and I am not a blind KTM lover nor am I going to exaggerate. If you have the means to swing it, get the new one.

OK, I have been hooked, caught and released too many times on this thread already. Y'all fish for something else. ;-)

Last edited:
Note to self........
Thou shall not touch a 2017 500exc.

I really love my old 525exc it never fails to put a smile on my face.

You are in luck - Aaron S. over on advrider has been posting a ride report that answers your question. He rode his KTM 500 around New Zealand and then shipped it to the southern tip of South America. From there he rode it to Oregon.

He put 510 hours on the motor and rode 37,000 kilometers. He had the valves check in San Diego and they were fine. He did normal maintenance (oil changes, air filter cleaning) on the bike and had no major issues/failures.

He estimates that all his luggage weighed about 65 lbs or so.

Here is his summary, "...the bike has 510hrs and 37000k.
It's running as good as ever and not using oil between changes.

A couple things I liked about my set up was I was only as wide as my bars with the soft luggage which meant in cities I could lane split and I saved a huge amount of time getting through and out of big cities.

Another thing was it opens up more accommodation for you as it's surprising where some people will let you park if it fits in a door.

Oil changes ok yes I had to do them more often but it's so quick and easy and I would just stop when I saw a old bike workshop somewhere pay them a little money to take the old oil and it was also a good chance to meet more local people. They always loved looking over my bike.

Also the obvious which is I could go explore and get to more remote places than a big bike and not be worried about dropping it or getting stuck. I rode with a guy for part of Colombia who has years of experience but had to turn around on one of the days when we went exploring some back roads as it got muddy. It was the right choice for his bike (Transalp) but I carried on and it was a awesome road after the mud with a huge waterfall as a reward at the end of it.

Also going through the ruta las lagunas from San Pedro de Atacama to Uyuni Bolivia I wouldn't of wanted to be on any other bike. Some days it's just hours of corners up over the Andes and down the other side and been so light I didn't tire as much as riding a huge overloaded bike.

Ok the downside. The seat. I got the seat concepts and it was worth every cent. It's still not as comfy as other bikes but not as bad as some say it is. I also like to stand a lot so my butt got a rest now and then and I was reminded more often to stand than other bikes.

Reliability is the big one people will bring up saying that it will never do that distance. Well I guess I proved that wrong.

Maybe I got lucky and got a good one now it's up to all of you out there to rack up the hours and miles to back me up on that point.

Sure it won't last as long as say a ktm990 or big BMW but it lasted long enough for me and 37000k will get you around the world so ask yourself how long will it take for you to wear one out?

If I had to do it over I would pick the same bike. It's not everyone's choice and I get that but I've always liked to ride dirt bikes over road bikes and I like the power the sound and the feel of that motor and not sure what other bike wheel stands as easy.

Here is the link to his ride report. Worth reading in its entirety.

It's a good testimonial. I have more sincere questions regarding using these bikes as an ADV platform. That said, I'm going to move my future posts over to the 500 Adventure thread so that I do not risk distracting from Mike's objective with his thread.

I have a 2015 500 xcw thats street legal. I put a Acerbis 3.5 gallon tank on it cause I like to keep the stock shrouds. Corbin seat and full FMF Exhaust with the Mega Bomb and F4.1 muffler. Did a little tweak to the computer and it was set. I like the xcw because I didn't have to deal with the emissions stuff. I also have a full warp 9 Sm setup for it.

Bike is a blast to ride. Have done several 5 to 7 day trips in Colorado and it never skips a beat. The FI is great and has very little power loss at really high altitudes. To be honest I rather ride it than my 990.

Back