• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM250F?? 350F?? No....300F!!

Reaction score
OK....so it is about time to do a top end on my KTM250XCF. We had just done my wife's top end on her 250F and was doing great til she cracked her crank!!! That is whole 'nother story. Back to mine.....being we have had some time off and not riding, I had it apart in a few hours and ready to swap out parts. However, I have heard nothing but good things about this 300 kit that SMS has been selling as a swap out complete kit. I just have to give them my cylinder and I get everything else.......including the jets and needle for the carb.
Now I have ridden one of the new 350s. Granted it wasn't set up for me but I can give a few quick thoughts on it. It did feel heavier than my 250. It did have better low and top end then my 250. You could actually be in the wrong gear and it would still pull it. So.....sell my bike and get a 350? Not yet, I like my 250 too much to sell it yet so SMS raved about this 300 kit. Being that it wasn't too way out of my price range and only a little more than a new OEM top end kit, I went for it. I hope to get it in this week. I was also suggested to buy a new front sprocket.....1 up as they said the low end torque is phenomenal. Well.....all I can say at this point is we'll see. I'll do a follow up report if you want to hear about it the outcome. Here is the kit minus the cylinder...

300-M.jpg

Wish me luck...........:rider:

very interesting, if you don't mind how much coin is this kit? Maybe I can turn mine into a 300 sxf :trust:

Getting started this morning.......just a few pics of the case and rod....

crank-M.jpg

Getting ready to slap the piston on. That is the highest the rod sticks out of the case......so.......

rod-M.jpg

I normally put the one of the circlips in and then the rings on the piston and then install in the cylinder. Once you have that done....you can slide the pin through the piston and rod and put the other circlip in.....

rings-M.jpg

More coming.....

Ok.....here is the pin in and getting prepared for the second circlip install.....

pin-M.jpg

And the clip is in and the cylinder down into the cases...look how pretty!!!

cylinder-M.jpg

Here is the carb laid out and ready for its new parts.....one main, one pilot and a new needle....

carb-stuff-M.jpg

Here is the head and ready to be put on and bolts to torque it all down.....

valves-M.jpg

OK.....now on to the good stuff.......putting on the lower cam bridge. Note that a rubber band or the like will hold the rockers up during install. Don't forget the shims!!!

rockers-M.jpg

Here is the timing bolt that is located on my KTM. It has a huge washer underneath it during regular operation. You remove it, take out the washer and re-install it in the slot in the crank.....not the lightening holes.....the slot. This is TDC and you can now put your cams in.

timing-M.jpg

Cams in and timed (lines on cams facing each other) before you torque it down.........and then the cam tensioner. The tensioner is supposed to be compressed during install. Once you have the cams in and torqued......you need to "pop" the tensioner to get it to release.

timing2-M.jpg

After that, you can pull the timing bolt and crank it over to make sure it is ok. If it is not.....you will now. Time to fill the oil and water....new plug.....clean air filter and fire it up!!!!!

300F-M.jpg

Now for some heat cycles.............

Hope this helps.

OK.....after a few heat cycles and a little riding at Red River......I took it to Trophy Club for the Torn race.

Basically the kit gets rid of the 250Fs shortcomings. It has more torque on bottom with better response to the accel pump. During the race, I was getting tired and noticed the power more.....but in a good way. I could have it in a higher gear without it bogging or falling on its face. I do need to drop the needle on position and it should clear up my flame out problem. I am also gonna have to re-gear.....maybe down 2 on the rear.

All in all I would say it is well worth the money for me. It doesn't have 450 like power but better all around power than the 250. I can't wait to try the top end out on a faster track as Trophy Club really didn't have any straights.

I just finished up new cams in my xcfw and found my intake cam had skilled a tooth.

I'm taking the hydrolic cam chain tension ear off and just going
To mod the cap with a bolt and nut and make it manual.

Have yet to start it I would imagine it's going to feel a lot better.

Back