• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Waxahachie!

Reaction score
My name is Sheila... I am new to riding and just bought my first bike ('06 BMW F650GS) last week! I have wanted to learn to ride for a long time and now at 35, I decided to stop just thinking about it and actually do it! :rider: I look forward to gaining confidence, knowledge, and skill as I begin on this new adventure!

IMG_20161119_021941_zps6yyqsr2t.jpg

IMG_20170223_141837_zpscwvm3kqp.jpg

Hi, Sheila. You picked a really sweet bike, also one that happens to be extremely popular in this forum. Darned tall bike, too. Hope you have a long inseam.

There are a lot of recurring activities that give you a chance to meet & swap tales with other TWTers. Check under TWT Sponsored Events for the monthly Pie Run schedule; last Saturday of every month year around. Some are nearby, others may be all the way to Houston. Also, we have a semi-regular meet-up that's tracked in the 'South o' the Plex - Meet & Eat' thread. People from south Arlington, Grand Prairie, Midlothian, etc, gather just to show off our bikes & share a milkshake. We're working on one right now that will be a Sunday afternoon ride down to West.

Welcome, Sheila! Never too late to learn to ride. I (really) got started riding much later than you. Oh, and I approve of the bike...I ride the same one!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Tim! Thanks so much for the info! I'll check into those activities.
The seat height on this bike is close to 31 in. I was not blessed in the long inseam department so I have already ordered some lowering links so I can have my feet flat on the ground while learning.

Hi TravelDiva!! Thanks for the encouragement! That's awesome that you have the same bike... I love it so far!

31" is a piece of cake. Do you have a lowered seat? I was thinking a stock GS was closer to 34". Anyway, it's a great all around bike - go anywhere, do anything, carry you to Walmart or down a forest road or across the country, but without the kind of power that sometimes gets new riders in trouble. You should be happy with that bike for a long, long time.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Congrats on the new ride!

Get that motorcycle safety course out of the way first, avoid the north side of Waxahachie, then keep an eye on this site. Lots of folks doing day rides out of the area. I am in big W also. MacDaddy is out of Midlothian. We have been discussing a day ride towards Palestine/Crockett I scouted a few weeks ago. Ellis County is blessed with a bunch of great 2 lanes for getting used to your bike. Just about anywhere south of 287 has many roads to explore.

Get that motorcycle safety course out of the way first, avoid the north side of Waxahachie, then keep an eye on this site. Lots of folks doing day rides out of the area. I am in big W also. MacDaddy is out of Midlothian. We have been discussing a day ride towards Palestine/Crockett I scouted a few weeks ago. Ellis County is blessed with a bunch of great 2 lanes for getting used to your bike. Just about anywhere south of 287 has many roads to explore.
Good to know there are some others in this area to meet up with for a ride. Thanks for the info!! I already signed up to take the safety course on the 25th of this month... Gearing up for a little Spring riding! :)

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Awesome, glad to see you jumping in! I know this community will help you any way they can. Looking forward to maybe riding with you some day.

Last edited:
Awesome, glad to see you jumping in! I know this community will help you any they can. Looking forward to maybe riding with you some day.

Don't trust this man! He knows every dirt road & goat path in North Texas, and will endeavor to lead you down each and every one of them. :eek2: And you'll have a blast. :sun:

Don't trust this man! He knows every dirt road & goat path in North Texas, and will endeavor to lead you down each and every one of them. :eek2: And you'll have a blast. :sun:
Dirt roads and goat paths = more fun!!
Right?!!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Welcome Sheilaa. For a novice, you sure made a nice bike selection. I'm assuming you've got the MSF course behind you... congratulations.

Ride your own pace, ride roads on which you can be comfortable, remember it is NOT a sin to enter a curve cautiously.

Back