• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Powder Coating Aluminum Luggage in Houston

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
I am looking at purchasing Jay a set of "used" Touratech aluminum luggage for his birthday. The only drawback is he wants black and these are the shiny aluminum. I know nothing about powder coating but figured that might be solution to issue.

So my questions are--
1. Can you powder coat aluminum luggage like the Touratech Zega Pro?
2. About how much would it cost to have it done?
3. Are there any shops in Houston that are really good and really reliable and will stand behind their work?

Thanks for any and all advice/answers/suggestions.

Darrell

Maybe wrapping would be an alternative?

Answer is yes, they can be powdercoated. All the powdercoaters I sell equipment to in the Houston Market are doing specific production and not job shop type projects.

I can only offer two options, I have a customer in Boerne, and our own job shop in Dallas if you email me some photos of the bags I can forward them to both for quotes.

Most powder coating cures at around 200 centigrade. I'd be concerned about any elastomeric seals, latches, etc surviving that temperature.

Most powder coating cures at around 200 centigrade. I'd be concerned about any elastomeric seals, latches, etc surviving that temperature.

Centigrage I had to check a conversion we bake in Farenhieght in Texas, But yes all seals and gaskets and latches would be removed.

Although we do have low temp cure powders that cure at around 200F but I would still pull all these items

FYI......now a powdercoater in Bryan. Jackrabbit Manufacturing and Powdercoating. Has been set up for several months now. Large enough to do auto frames. Works with aluminum. Nice guy

Check out Bayou Cuty Coatings on W. Little York. They are a small operation and very friendly. When I was there they were powdercoating a batch of Yeti mugs. Very friendly owner, gave me the full tour, even into their sand blast room and oven.

http://www.bayoucitycoatings.com

Are these boxes the ones with or without the black plastic corners? If with, I'm curious if those pieces can be removed for Powdercoating. Following...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe wrapping would be an alternative?

Any thoughts on someone in the Houston area who might be able to wrap the top case for us?

Thanks.
Darrell

Back