• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Africa Twin debut?

Had to share. You know it is a good day when the FedEx truck and the ups truck stops at your house at the same time to deliver fun new toys for the twin...

My new set of SW-Motech adventure trex and quick connect panniers arrived as well as new gloves and some tires...

One problem the TKC 80 for the rear is the wrong size. I need an 18", the label said 18", but the tire is only 17". I had already removed the Pirelli tires so I had to remount the rear, what a PIA the rear is.

By the way, the Tubliss system looked great when I removed the tire, been rock solid so,far.

image_zpsihtoty8v.jpg
Could you elaborate on the rim sealer depicted below?

Thanks in advance!
TTR

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TTR, it is a three layer system for sealing the spoke nipples so you can run tubeless with standard rims. There are other systems out there, but this is the only one that I have found that works with the wider rims on our big adventure bikes.

Below is a link to some company that sells them. I got mine from ebay which was shipped from Japan.

Note: All of the installation videos and instruction talk about grinding down the spoke nipples but I didn't do any of that with the AT. My thinking is since the system was designed to allow adjusting your spokes, why grind down and nice round spoke nipple head into a strange shaped thing that will try to lift the tape when you go to adjust. So far I have trued my wheels twice since installing the tape and haven't had any issues at all.

The only place I have ever seen a super slow leak is from the bead. I didn't use enough wheel mounting lube and the one section didn't seat properly. Popped the bead, lube it up a little and re-inflated, no problem at all.

hth

http://www.ronin-cycles.com/product/27

Hey all, just a heads up on ordering a booster plug for yourAfrica Twin. I ordered one over a month ago, my card was charged the $149.95, and that was that. I have never heard a word from them since. So far no replies to my email of inquiry either. They are based in Denmark, so not real easy to call them. KubotaMike did your boosterplug take this long to show up? Wondering if I should be turning 'em in as scammers to my card co.

I just did the Outex treatment to my wheels. My install doesn't look near as neat as Kubotamikes but seems to seal great.

I was on the fence about doing the Outex until I had a pinch flat at Roll the Bones. For street use I I'll carry plugs only. For dirt use I'll carry plugs and tubes in case of a bent rim with no plan to have use the tubes.

Also, just sent the suspension off to Konflict Motosports to get the suspension tweaked for fat boy use.

Donny, sorry to hear about your Booster Plug experience. I ordered my from their web site and used PayPal to pay. The package arrived in about a week if memory serves me. Somehow your order must have fallen into a bit bucket, or something happened to the owners. Maybe try using some other email address and ask some sales related question, see if that gets a response?

Rich, one thing I have learned about tubeless on the twin is I really have to slather the lube on the bead on the front tire to get it to seal up 100%. It has nothing to do with the Outex, I think it has to do with the light knurled texture on the rim bead, it will have a very slow leak from the bead if I don't use enough lube. Then I pump it up to about 55 lbs for a few hours if I have the time before I ride it. Seems to really seal it on the rim then and no leak even after months.

At the suggestion of Kubotamiketx a few months ago I too installed the Outex tubeless system and have been very pleased. Rear tire pressure spot on to date (about 3 weeks). Front dropped a couple pounds and probably due to tire sealing as Mike suggest. Still on the OEM tires and let some air out last ds ride for better traction which helped a lot. I never really did this with tubes as I did not want pinch flats.

Mike, also did the Touratech bars and plate. Still haven't decided on panniers.

Last edited:
I just got my upper and lower GIVI bars in. Looks like I'll be installing them this weekend. If anyone wants to come out and give moral support and have a drink hit me up. I'm just west of Elgin.

Oh, and hand guards. I want to install them too.

Donny, sorry to hear about your Booster Plug experience. I ordered my from their web site and used PayPal to pay. The package arrived in about a week if memory serves me. Somehow your order must have fallen into a bit bucket, or something happened to the owners. Maybe try using some other email address and ask some sales related question, see if that gets a response?

Rich, one thing I have learned about tubeless on the twin is I really have to slather the lube on the bead on the front tire to get it to seal up 100%. It has nothing to do with the Outex, I think it has to do with the light knurled texture on the rim bead, it will have a very slow leak from the bead if I don't use enough lube. Then I pump it up to about 55 lbs for a few hours if I have the time before I ride it. Seems to really seal it on the rim then and no leak even after months.

Sitting in my computer room at the house neither wheel is losing any air. I'll have a better feel for how they hold air after the forks and shock come back and I can ride the bike.

Gentlemen,
I am fairly new to the tube/tubeless debate. I'm considering making the jump for my Twin. I certainly like idea of easier repairs for the tubeless side. Did any of you consider the Nueteck Tubliss system? Just curious if you've heard any good/bad about it. More specifically the Gen 2 product.

Last edited:
The Nueteck won't work with the extra wide rear tire. You could use it on the front, but not a chance on the rear...

Rich, I want to hear about your suspension mods. I have jacked up my pre-load and increased rebound about as much as you can, so I know I am at the limits of the stock suspension...

Rich, I want to hear about your suspension mods. I have jacked up my pre-load and increased rebound about as much as you can, so I know I am at the limits of the stock suspension...

Me too! Oh and thanks kubotamiketx for the info.

Last edited:
I am having this place do my suspension tweaking:

http://www.konflictmotorsports.com/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/our-africa-twin-build.1166077/

They specialize in adventure bikes and have done quite a few AT's already. I have never used them before. They have a good reputation and are one of the few places that have services available for the AT already.

Alex told me for real hard use I should replace the shock with one with a bigger shaft. For my intended use I opted to have the stock shock revalved and resprung.

I have had a lot of suspension work over the years in everything from a KDX220 to a Goldwing and everything in between, mostly from Racetech, but I have also used Cogent and Superplush with good success.

I'll post up after the bike is back together and I have ridden it some.

Price depends on what your bike needs as far as springs and such. Konflict is competitive with the other places I have had do work for me.

I did go ahead and order a set of Pirelli MT90AT Enduro / Dual Sport Tires front and rear. Like Donny said, the darn AT rides so nice with the stock tires, I didn't want to give that up so I am trying a more 70/30 type tire. Hopefully it lives up to the reviews.

I ordered the same tire, eager to hear how they worked in Big Bend when you return!

We just finished a Great off road ride with my wife on the back on the twin in the Perelli's did fantastic

Two other guys we were riding with or writing single and both had nobby's in the twin went everywhere they did with the Perelli's and my skinny wife

I meant to post this in the other thread I started. If the mods want to delete one do this one.

Thanks

Ride report,

So I just picked up a new Garmin Montana 650T in Rosenberg. Rode the bike to see what it's do on gas.

I zeroed out in Elgin and filled up in Rosenberg.
129.6 miles using 2.9 gallons. Giving me 44.8 mpg. And that's with the majority of my speeds below what ever the posted limit was. Now I did have a **** of a head wind. I'm going to ride normal at or above speed limits and see what I get on the way back.

Once I got back, the crazy thing is I stopped at the same stores took the same route. Went 129.1 (didn't have to take the .5 mile detour) on 2.8 gallons for 44.9 mpg. And I ran at the posted speed limit or 15 over the speed limit the whole time.

OMG, the wind was horrible. Good news is the MPG is getting better.

GPS is charging. And I was able to save enough money buying this one instead of the 680T that I get to go buy some more riding gear!

Last edited:
Great news! Out of the blue my booster plug showed up in the mail. I guessing it may have took "the long way round" from Denmark? I was just happy to see it finally arrive. All is well that ends well...

Great news! Out of the blue my booster plug showed up in the mail. I guessing it may have took "the long way round" from Denmark? I was just happy to see it finally arrive. All is well that ends well...

Is that the thing for the air/fuel mix? If so are you going to install? I'd like to come watch.

Exited to receive my order for new AT tires (only one as the superstore backordered the other in the middle of my order! ):doh:

But no joy in mudville, I received a 23 month old Pirelli front tire. What in the world are these folks thinking? The life span is half over when I receive it? Never again from this online store. :giveup:

Exited to receive my order for new AT tires (only one as the superstore backordered the other in the middle of my order! ):doh:

But no joy in mudville, I received a 23 month old Pirelli front tire. What in the world are these folks thinking? The life span is half over when I receive it? Never again from this online store. :giveup:

While a 23 month old mfg date is a little old for a retailer to be shipping without any prior advise and/or acceptance from you, it is nowhere near to half the life span. Unless that is, you expect to take two years to wear out this tire and then yes it would be half its life.

_

While a 23 month old mfg date is a little old for a retailer to be shipping without any prior advise and/or acceptance from you, it is nowhere near to half the life span. Unless that is, you expect to take two years to wear out this tire and then yes it would be half its life.

_

IMO, maximum acceptable life for an adventure or heavy cruiser is five years. With significant off or on road use or wear from miles, less than that. I have had this difficulty with this retailer before but expected better. Three months to six months age on a "new" tire is more appropriate.

Be wary of orders in the blind, make sure to advise the retailer of your expectations. Don't accept the oldest product in the warehouse. Tire failure can be fatal.

Is that the thing for the air/fuel mix? If so are you going to install? I'd like to come watch.

Yes sort of, it tells the computer that the bike is 20 degrees cooler than it is. This tricks the computer into offering up a richer mixture. Thus sweetening up the throttle response and low end power band...or something possibly close to that. I am still in the undecided about putting it in myself category. Sure wish it would have showed up sooner, i had my factory power outlet installed not long ago and they had to remove most all the same fairing bits. Hoping if I drag my feet on doing it, another opportunity may happen where I don't end up messing with it myself. Did I mention I like riding bikes a heck of a lot more than tinkering on bikes...

Back