• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW F800GT Questions

Yeah - I love it BUTT it's tall. Regular couple'o comedians we are, Drew. Fortunately, if I were to buy an aftermarket seat, the GT is significantly shorter than the GS to begin with.

Wonder if the seat for the GS would fit the GT? Anyone know? Same frame or what?

first, the seat for the GT will fit the R, S, or ST. The GS series is different. The kit I bought to raise the bars came with a brake line extension to make it fit. The front brake line is much like the '12 and up Strom. There are other extensions available depending on your needs. I also re-routed the throttle cable behind the forks like I did on the Strom too, it's an easy job. As far as engine failures, I've never heard of one on the GT series. Earlier ST and S models reported some stator probs, just like the Strom, but it seems to be cured on the GT as no one ever seems to report about it on the forums. The seat is amazingly similar to the Strom in size and dimensions, they would be interchangeable if the latch hardware were the same. If you go to look at one, check it out for the possibility of adapting your backrest. Of course, Corbins are available with backrest options.
P.S. I noticed a couple of interesting ones on Cycle Trader in your area.;-)

P.S. I noticed a couple of interesting ones on Cycle Trader in your area.;-)

I looked at the one at the Indian dealer in Denton, and I'm positive he'll come down $500, maybe a grand (but forget the picture, it's blue, not white). There's also a black one by a private seller in Arlington. Picky as this may sound, I really want to hold out for a white one. When you're in your Medicare years, you begin to realize that life's to short to settle for what you didn't really want.

Yeah, I think the seatback may be adaptable. It simply straddles the seat and has a couple of doohickies that attach to bolts already in place underseat in the VStrom. We'd probably have to drill some holes. But as far as the attachment thingies, I think my cousin, who owns an HVAC shop and can fabricate practically anything, could whip something up. Corbins are nice but pricey, and the back rest is a costly option after you've already had to pay for the seat.

Last edited:
Yes, I know what you mean about color. I was holding out for a blue and when one popped up in Houston, had a friend take me there and rode it home.

This bike has interested me for years. I am also influenced by color more than I admit. My brain bounces like a pool ball between various bikes. Ones on my radar right now are new water cooled Triumph Bonnie T100, Guzzi V7 III, maybe a Guzzi V9, Triumph Tiger XrX and yes the F800GT. I am attracted to the old style looks with modern technology. Light weight is a big plus, but I do like having at least 60 hp. Moderate range touring interests me hence the BMW. Let us know what you do and results. Oh and DOODLEBUGGER I am a retired geophysicist, 40 years in seismic. BS GP Colorado School of Mines...a long time ago

hahaha.. You're prob the only one to know what it is then! I was a doodlebugger for about 17 years, in what seems a lifetime ago. and btw.. the GT is tuned to 90 hp, in a bike slightly lighter than the Vstrom, which is about 68 I believe. Another plus is the fuel is under the seat, so it is not near as top heavy and makes it feel even lighter.

When I went after a 2012 Strom, I was determined to get a white one. So check my avatar picture - only missed by 180 degrees. In any case, I have all these red riding jackets and if I rode a blue bike, I'd look like I just stepped out of the SMU pep squad.

hahaha.... and that would be bad? But I do agree, hold out for what you want, there is plenty of time. I know the feeling all too well. When I bought my car, I was looking at a red two door coupe with a 6 speed manual and really loved it, but when it finally came down to it the practical me went for the four door white with automatic. I regretted it on the drive home, so much that the next day I tried to undo the deal, but the red one sold. I've regretted it ever since. Somehow or some way we'll have to try to meet up so you can ride mine, so you could try one with risers and peg lowers and stuff to see if it will work for you. It would be a bummer if you found you couldn't make it comfy for you.

Well, since I went to a west Texas burnt orange college, yeah, that would be bad. :mrgreen:

I never got my dream car either. My "plan", when I graduated from that fine institution we called "Harvard on the Border", was to get a job and promptly buy either an Opel GT or a Porsche 914 (does that date me?). Reality set in and and I spent my post-college Army days running around in a used Dodge Colt - 4-door, no less. Oh well, at least I got the 4-speed tranny.

Destination Cycles in Kerrville has a really nice 2013 with 3k miles that they have had on the floor for quite awhile. I looked at it pretty seriously but ended up buying a 2011 F800R that they also had. I wanted a light bike for day rides and I love it.
I'm 5' 8" and I love the riding position. If you were much taller it may be a little cramped. I think the GT has the same riding position as the R but I could be wrong. On my last tank of gas riding Hill Country roads I got 58 mpg so the range is probably close to 200 miles.
This is the link to the one Destination has:
http://www.destinationcycle.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventory#page=xPreOwnedInventory&make=bmw

The only complaint I have is a buzzy'ness in the bars between 70 and 80 but I think that can be fixed with some bar end weights I plan to get.

I love the light weight and easy handling - but coming from the Connie 14 which was also a great bike but certainly not light!

Last edited:
To tell the truth, Rich, a fellow TWTer gave me a nice, long ride on his F800GT this weekend. I had a blast on the bike, and think it's an amazing machine. But I also realized that, ultimately, it didn't suit me. So I'll be sticking with the VStrom. When you get interested in a new bike, you either buy it or get out of your system. I did the latter.

That sound great Tim, glad you got to try one. It's much better to find out before you buy.

I test-rode the GT and wasn't impressed with the power. At the time I had an FZ6R and thought that they were on the same level being the fz bulletproof in all aspects. I do like the lightness of the ST, but triumph Striple as well.
However, I do need to accommodate a passenger too.
Now I have a Bandit 1250 and wouldn't trade it for any bike. (well, maybe for Duc Diavel :)).

Last edited:
To tell the truth, Rich, a fellow TWTer gave me a nice, long ride on his F800GT this weekend. I had a blast on the bike, and think it's an amazing machine. But I also realized that, ultimately, it didn't suit me. So I'll be sticking with the VStrom. When you get interested in a new bike, you either buy it or get out of your system. I did the latter.

What didn't you like about it?

Back