• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Roff, OK, not technically a ghost town....

Reaction score
First Name
Georgia
Last Name
Rennick
We just got back from a National Trials event in Tishomingo, OK and while I was there wanted to check out an Oklahoma ghost town. The Oklahoma ghost town directory listed Fitzhugh as an official ghost town which wasn't too far from the property where we were camping for the event, so I decided to take the XT225 so I could go exploring. The road to the event was a beautiful hard packed dirt which was pretty easy, but very dusty.

Tishomingo2April2010005.jpg

Anyway, the road to Fitzhugh was perfect for the XT, a nice two lane highway with lots of fields filled with cows and horses and very little traffic. On the way I passed through a little town called Roff.

When I got to Fitzhugh there was really nothing there to see, they had a one block main street with one old building with not much interest and I found one old farmhouse, so I went back to Roff.

At Roff, I found the First National Bank building which was founded in 1900.

Tishomingo2April2010054.jpg

Tishomingo2April2010049.jpg

The bank must have closed before Christmas, the front window was frozen in time with a little Christmas display. I wonder what year it closed. The decorations looked to be prior 1970's to me.

Tishomingo2April2010050.jpg

Tishomingo2April2010051.jpg

So sad to see such a stately building allowed to decay the way it was. Missing windows, holes in the bricks and there were many birds nesting all about.

Tishomingo2April2010057.jpg

As it was, the block also contained another little store which was frozen in time as well.

I have no idea what this tub looking thing used to do.

Tishomingo2April2010060.jpg

And here a little tiger stares out the window for evermore.
Tishomingo2April2010061.jpg

I wonder how long those two little white chairs have been sitting there undisturbed. There was some traffic on the street while I was taking my pictures, I think there was a Post Office across the street.

There was another little town called Ravia which was closer to the event which I decided to explore before getting back to the RV. There was this old trading post with half boarded up windows but products still in place behind the glass.

Tishomingo2April2010072.jpg

You can't see it but there were two half log benches on the front porch, very rustically cool.

Here's the side yard
Tishomingo2April2010073.jpg

And the front windows with pottery

Tishomingo2April2010074.jpg

Tishomingo2April2010075.jpg

I do not think this place was very old there was no way to even figure out what it's life span was. I have a feeling there many of these same types of Main Streets in many of the small towns we passed.

I'm looking forward to going back to Oklahoma. The other ghost town I missed is called Bokchito. If you know of it or of any other towns near Tishomingo, drop me a pm so I can add it to my list for next time. Thanks for visiting.

We live in Ada just a few miles north of Roff. There are a lot of small towns around the area very similar to what you saw in Roff. Next time your headed up this way give us a shout, Cindy and I would be glad to hook up and do some exploring around the area.

That would be wonderful. I just looked you up on the map and it wouldn't have been that much further to go up to Ada. The next event is in November, I will let you know if we are planning to come up. Another thing about the area is that there are chunks of beautiful quartz and rose granite just lying around Rock Creek Road. I brought home a ton of rocks.

Sure thing, we have two extra rooms and a realy hot shower. Coverd parking for the bikes etc. Just let us know and we'll see if we can find some interesting stuff near by.

Cool post, I'm always interested in small towns (having grown up in Ten Sleep, WY, population 300 and going mostly strong :) )

Sorry for the delayed response, but just saw this string. I graduated high school in Ada (82) and attended the first ever Roff HS Formal with a beautiful young thing named Kim. It was a big deal for those kids. Next time you are that way, go find Rosedale - located between Asher and Konowa.

I've always thought it would be cool to get one of those old bank type building and convert it to a residence. Prolly won't ever get to do that, just a thought.

Georgiapeach. The tub looking thing in front of the store is a 1920's era Maytag gasoline powered washing machine, missing its top. I have two, one with a single cylinder two stroke motor, the other is a horizontally opposed twin two stroke (think tiny BMW motor). I would post a pic, but I dont know how, new here.

I found your post on Roff, OK very interesting since I was born and raised near Roff, at a small town named Tupelo, OK. There are many such towns as Roff in that part of Oklahoma. Bromide, Clarita, Gene Autry and of course Tupelo just to name a few. Unfortunately the map given to Oklahoma visitors coming into Oklahoma only shows the main roads and does not show many off roads with interesting old town. I now live in Universal City, Texas and do not get up there as much as I would like but I still enjoy the countryside when I go there. During Indian Territory days I am pretty sure Roff was part of the old Chickasaw Nation, with the Choctaw Nation boundry a few miles to the east.

Roy

While you are visiting the Roff/Ada area there is a very interesting bridge just north of Byars, OK, which is unknown to many. Byars is another town that time passed by that is located on highway 59 about 30 miles northwest of Roff and west of Ada. Got to downtown Byars, population about 200 more or less then go north on Johnsonville Avenue. Go about 3 or 4 miles north and be sure to stay on the paved road, which is supposed to be state hwy 102. You arrive an old railroad bridge about 1/4 to 1/2 mile long which has been converted to take automobile traffic and is one lane. The people there are nice and friendly and will wait for each other to cross. There is no light or traffic control device, just common sense has to prevail. You can see the bridge on google maps. After you cross the river and proceed about 5-6 miles you come to Wanette. The river the bridge crosses is the Canadian River.
Roy

Back