• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Tour of Forts - March 23-25

Reaction score
I'm thinkin of a weekend ride for March 23-25. Camping both nights at my ranch, older gentlemen will have 1st dibs on bunk beds, others can tent camp or hammock camp. Plenty of space available.

The Plan;

Friday, meet up is at 1:30 in Jacksboro @ Herds Burger, then tour nearby Fort Richardson. From there, we'll take (as close as possible) the old route to Fort Belknap. After a quick visit there, & stopping to eat in the metropolis that is Eliasville, it's more backroads to my place for evening for camping.

Saturday, up early & backroads to Fort Griffin, then Fort Phantom Hill (just north of Abiliene), then thru Abiliene town aways to Fort Chadbourne. Chadbourne has a sweet museum with hundreds of rifles, so plan on at least 1 hour there to visit. Then, it's about 2.5 hours to Breckenridge by backroad, then back to my place for camping.

Sunday, an easy breakfast @ Ranch HQ, followed by a friendly pistol shooting competition, USPS style with timer & steel targets. Anyone wishing to participate in the unofficial pistol competition will need a pistol & 100rds of ammo. Then wrap it up by noon & part ways.

Routes are suited for big bikes, but any off-road capable bike with 150 mile range should work. I'm aiming for 50/50 dirt & pavement, but may have a bit more dirt if time permits. If we have a little extra time 1 day, some ranch road riding may be in order.

If you can't make it Friday, you can catch up Friday night or Saturday somewhere.

So, any interest?

UPDATED BUNK SPACES-

1. Mitch
2. Dahveed
3. Liteitup
4. My6
5. Big Dave
6. Burbo
7. Zephyr
8. GRNDLB
9. Coolbreeze
10. Simmons1
11. Uncle Buck
12. DavidMW
13. Pizzaboy
14. Jaxon

Last edited:
Yeah ... interested.

An hour at Chadbourne?

Old-timer, bottom bunk.

Last edited:
In. Bunk. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: I was at a light, sorry for the cryptic post. Sounds great, sign me up.

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye on this. If I can finagle time off it sounds like a fun newbie rider friendly tour.

Was planning a Big Bend trip for these dates, but if it doesn’t happen I’ll be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interested as well. Tent for me.

Great idea, I am in, I will hang my hammock where I did for the dove hunt :).

BTW: you know it is suppose to rain that weekend......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A bit too far out to say for sure, but yeah I'm in.

For the uninformed what is USPS? My first thought was someone going postal, if that's the case, I'm out:giveup:

Count me in!
:rider:

Bunk is preferred - but I'll have my hammock in case someone else needs a bunk.

A bit too far out to say for sure, but yeah I'm in.

For the uninformed what is USPS? My first thought was someone going postal, if that's the case, I'm out:giveup:

I guess it's actually United States Pistol Shooters Association nowadays. Just more laid-back shooting than other styles. Or, we could shoot US Post Office style, that includes angry employees, ignorant customers, & mis-delivered mail.

I guess it's actually United States Pistol Shooters Association nowadays. Just more laid-back shooting than other styles. Or, we could shoot US Post Office style, that includes angry employees, ignorant customers, & mis-delivered mail.

I'm voting for the laid-back shooting! :sun:

*pout* hatin' on small bikes... ;-) It sounds like a great weekend of awesome but no love for us little people. I don't know how we can be friends anymore. *sniff sniff* :lol2:

*pout* hatin' on small bikes... ;-) It sounds like a great weekend of awesome but no love for us little people. I don't know how we can be friends anymore. *sniff sniff* :lol2:

There is always love for the "wee folk"... :rofl:

I thought you were getting a big bike soon.

There is always love for the "wee folk"... :rofl:

I thought you were getting a big bike soon.
Soon may be later but something will happen. Doesn't mean I can keep up with VaporTrailAaron :rofl:

March is a ways out. Anything could happen!!!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Kat, while you're searching for the best all around bike for your needs, maybe you could buy a used interm bike. It'll do for rides like this one. Sell or trade it in when the right one is found. I'd put a limit of $3,000 for the purchase. Winter is great time to search Craigslist. I think a 2000 Suzuki DR350SE would keep your riding skills up. It's rated at a top speed of ninety. http://www.bikefinds.com/suzuki-dr350

You shouldn't miss out on so much fun, especially when this historical ride is right next to your front door.

Q could make it! Just pack a little extra gas, & don't let off the throttle.
The old boy is feeling his miles. I get major side eye when we climb north of 60 these days ;-). Who needs extra fuel when you have no shame and a siphon? [emoji16]

Stay tuned. I may be conquering forts from the right corner of your exhaust pipe one way or another!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I am highly interested BUT apprehensive about trying to do it on a small bike....

Back