• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anatomy of a Highside

If you are going to learn it on the dirt, I HIGHLY recommend learning on a small dirt bike!! It hurts when you flip a big dirt bike... :doh:

frontpage47.JPG

I've had unintentional wheel slip on my bike twice. Fortunately the bike didn't get nearly as sideways nor was I nearly as leaned over as that guy. I just learn not to be that heavy on the throttle when the tires are still cold.

I will quietly admit I've had unintentional wheel slip twice. First time was on loose sand while turning left from a stop at an intersection with my previous bike. Thought me quick to respect a liter+ bike. The second time was on my Bandit and I was on the gas hard out of what I thought was a clean intersection but was really covered in a fine dust. Both times was too much gas at the wrong time. The first wasn't too major. The second could've gotten bad really quick if I didn't regain traction. Both times I quickly cut the throttle out of habit and it settled the back end back in line. I'm pretty sure I turned into the slide during the second time (again out of habit from my car driving).

I think it all depends on the lean angle and speeds on if you should stay on the throttle or not. The more I think about it the more I think there are times that's its better to cut the throttle and there are times to stay on it. Problem is that I have no idea how to train yourself to react differently for the low speed sand slip versus the hard cornering slip like in the pictures. With that being said, I don't have near the riding experience as many do here, so please correct me if I'm totally wrong in my thought process.

Having done some drifting in cars, I imagine the principle is the same. Here's my theory. If the rear starts to come around, then varying the throttle gradually to increase or decrease rear wheel speed incrementally will effectively steer the bike with the rear. Pin it open suddenly, or chop it closed suddenly, and you are effectively throwing it away.

Back