• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet Color: White vs. Black?

Agree with both of these. Vents are likely more important than helmet color in staying cool and the right jacket is far more visible than a helmet. I chose black simply because I've never been able to keep a white helmet white. Within a week it is white with black scuff marks, white with nicks, white with colored scuff marks...

Not exactly. Jackets are great. The helmet is the high point and not so concealed behind a windshield or fairing.
There was a MC magazine writer a few years ago the got an orange (Shoie, I think) to test. He said he noticed the cages didn't pull out on him like they did before. I don't know about that, but every single pic he was in with that orange pumpkin on his head, stood out like a,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,,,an Orange pumpkin.
Most of us have enough vanity that we might not go to such an extreme with our own money, (I think he said the same) but it seemed about as good a real world test and visual sight to me.

Cheers

But most important...seek cooler climates and higher altitudes. :mrgreen:

Sigh, Texas summer is almost here....I need some Colorado mountains and soon!

I was thinking about that impromptu 'photo with the temperature' exchange last summer. I'm hoping not to see anything over 105 this year.:sun:

Anyway, with the way you're riding these days Colorado is an overnighter.:rider::clap: Seagoville to Springs and back is what, about ten miles shy of a Bun Burner?

I think it was Motorcycle Consumer News that did a test on the inside temps of white vs. black helmets a few years ago. I remember it was a non event - only a degree or so difference and I don't even remember which one... Get the one you personally like the most :)

I was thinking about that impromptu 'photo with the temperature' exchange last summer. I'm hoping not to see anything over 105 this year.:sun:
Amen, preach it brother!

Anyway, with the way you're riding these days Colorado is an overnighter.:rider::clap: Seagoville to Springs and back is what, about ten miles shy of a Bun Burner?
Oh, I'd have to spend some time there for sure. The problem is to get there you have to navigate a whole lot of hot boring hot straight hot highway. Tell me again why I got rid of my truck.

Oh yea, gas prices and my long commute, that's it! :rofl:

Thanks for all the feedback - both anecdotal and analytical.

I am aware of the visibility advantages of the white helmet, but the closest I have been there is silver. I had a Nolan N102 in Silver, now wearing a Nolan N103 in Black. There are enough improvements in air flow management between the N102 and the N103 that my black N103 is notably cooler.

I do understand the "darker colors absorbing heat" physics - that is why I asked the initial question: is there a noticeable difference?

But, you do know of course, that this collective set of responses begs the next question: is there better helmet than a Nolan N103 for ventilation? I guess I should qualify that with a price bracket - let's say... $450 US or less.

- kbt

a 3/4 helmet is a tad cooler than a full face when moving. Nothing is cooler when your sitting on the blacktop at a standstill. Last summer I thought my feet where on fire, they weren't they where just stuck to the tar. The smoke was just steam from my sweat evaporating.:eek2:

I had silver before but that helmet had enough wasn't sealing right anymore and loose on my head after many years of use. Bought one of the on close out EXO-700s and tried to find silver, etc. in my size but out of all the ones in my size and color combos I went with a White with black lines/design, etc. on it. Best of both worlds I guess!? :rider:

Yea, the drive from DFW to Texline gets interesting right around Capulin, New Mexico.

Yeah, I think you actually come to a curve right about there.

The good guys always wear white hats. 'Nuff said.

Most of my riding is commuting in Houston traffic. I am wearing a black helmet that is approaching needing to be replaced.

My question is this: is there a noticable difference in the heat inside a white (or light colored) helmet as compared to a black one?

Asked in a different way - is it worth selecting a white helmet for cooling effect?

TIA!

- kbt
Read down to the 5th paragraph. White is 20 degrees cooler on the outside, and 10 degrees cooler on the inside.

For safety and visibility, if you hang a set of trucknutz off the back of your helmet people will absolutely do a double take and will notice you for sure.

When I wear my white helmet people get off the left lane. They think I'm a cop.

wow. 10 year old thread resurrection.
How about that. I was researching this subject and this thread popped up. Didn't pay attention to the date. Still, the subject's relevance hasn't changed. We'll see
if it generates any more interest.

How about that. I was researching this subject and this thread popped up. Didn't pay attention to the date. Still, the subject's relevance hasn't changed. We'll see
if it generates any more interest.

That's cool for sure. I know this is a hot topic. Seems everyone takes sides, it's either black or white. Maybe if we discuss it more, cooler heads will prevail. It'll be good for this thread to get some more visibility anyway, since I'm really not sure how many people have red it.

Sorry. I'll go do something else now.

Back