• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2 acres of dirt near Austin?

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
So, friends, I'm in search of about 2 acres of dirt near-ish to Austin where I can ride my XR around in circles, learning to handle that thing, turn with the rear, do low-speed slaloms, lift the front and other such tomfoolery. Practicing the stuff I learned in UlyBrad's excellent class and attempting to learn to turn like in this video.

As an urbanite, I don't get the opportunity to just step outside, hop on the XR and slide the rear around in dirt. So where's a guy to learn?

Yes, there's Hidden Fall's but that's overkill for what I'm looking for, and too far away. Ideally (for me) this would be within maybe 30 miles of central Austin. It would be amazing to setup a little dirt-gymkhana circuit at some point, but I could also just bring out little cones or other small markers. Some place where I could drop in, ride in slow figure-eights for a hour or two, burn gas and make noise, then head home.

Anyone else interested in something like this? Anyone know of a place?

My house used to be outside of San Antonio but over the years, I've been surrounded by new development.
When I don't feel like making any sort of journey to a riding park like Zars or Hidden Falls, I just ride to one of the nearby construction sites that are always being developed.

I've never had a problem doing this as long as there isn't a bunch of construction activity going on at the time.

I had a Sheriff drive up on me once, and I got a bit nervous since I'm not really sure as to the absolute legality of it. I assume that it's technically trespassing since it's owned by someone of course.
Anyway, he pulled up the dirt road, asked where I was from, then proceed to start a conversation about the new mini-bike he just got for his daughter. He brought his daughter and her new mini-bike out there a few days later.

Emma long park- the trails are fairly difficult, but drive by one day and see what you think about the parking area/trailhead. There may be enough room there for what you want.

There isn't any area that hasn't been paved, is there?:eek2:
Tom

Legal? There is a construction area near me that is fairly flat and abandoned on Sundays. However it will be a mud pit this weekend. Basically they graded an area near to make a retention pond and they are no longer working in that area. Otherwise I'd stay away.

Emma long park- the trails are fairly difficult, but drive by one day and see what you think about the parking area/trailhead. There may be enough room there for what you want.

This is the spot and close to your home. The parking area is great . Then there is the area by the toilets, it adds just a touch of difficulty. Once you are done with that go into the " warm up / kid trail next to the parking area. It's a little trail that mostly lets you learn about managing the bike at low speed.
If your bike is street legal you can also ride the great turns around that whole area.
Get in touch with me and I can take you on a tour.

There isn't any area that hasn't been paved, is there?:eek2:
Tom

It's disappearing fast, that's for sure.
Fortunately, I've been able to make lemonade out of lemons. Before development it was absolutely private and inaccessible ranch land. The sites they are developing around here are typically hundreds of acres of varying terrain. From the time the start turning dirt until the paving and structural construction begins is usually 6-12 months. I've had three really nice "dirt bike parks" within 5 minutes ride for the last four years.

I third Emma Long. Plenty of parking lot for flat tracing, good fun flat trails heading away from the main trail. Lots of hard technical trail riding on the main loop. Mountain bike style. If you aren't up to snuff, you'll know in 100 feet.

We always made a point of riding dirty from Emma Long to Ski Shores restaurant back in the day (90's). Might be a bit dicey now with all the neighbors / LEO around. Last time I did it was 2014, and I was a bit nervous. Still a blast to ride that park and general area. A gem.

I know a place that might work right around where the Pickle parkway meets 35 up near Georgetown. I always notice it around some water area that has the busted up remains of someones old fiberglass boat along the shoreline. I've thought may times I would love to have my DR in the back of the truck in order to head in and check out how soft the dirt is (or see if anyone would chase you off). I know you can roll down the side of the tollway and it looks like no fences are there so who knows. These are the Google maps Coordinates.... 30.655502, -97.637344

YoqBpaZIFQf7jb_r_5uxgQlFFigEdtLagPFHkFdFolc6OIfAa4CgUD0NNBAq6WjvEqxXbgkEAUgGxRm-H63jG2mz2EFLKQ1AdUVTBUp0iilqjf7SxTwhYhdpLIQi9P3GOs7seS44SYB-eeLGfqamOyC5l1gNoIemjzjA64U9ccOjaWOHis6cL4_MiYK_CEIQw3tBE3cvGgGk-LJTvg0-vNkwVZ1IPzpd0QceLYOdlZVyYWLyg9wQ0P56M6ltYVF5jXwkEC0RdGdC9gWHkElhNIAhEgb0H3t72c6kdNP_33rjLP4S7NqNaURdE9nHsIGiAt1dXEp-vLKsFIPhx6sPAOVj8g2EZYbVZstK16rW9ceKtchTI6kxJ6ZA8V9dD4o40CJdb8ub-wb-AKD9AfzytktNxQWGRGBaSnlM8xzhYE0Bdl0KLJg-Zs-LwmcO4Mel4PEQh83gdzhjAistQoBrmQ_aer_q0FVbVUXRd11M5buDgFffkdbs1bbHHQ1RkOX5eSoad_zGZn20h66IayMAv5cndwP7UmDyYBPE2cxuRWxuYnl_2ayLQJfbGcvDWjxlfDq0t82NEsK30CptX6g5Dneip9NG0m6M=s0

Last edited:
I look at that boat carcass every time I come back in from Dallas on 130 lol. I would love to find some decent easy going area to ride up in North Austin.

Be careful at Ikea, the police are watching.
Rutherford and Cameron. There is a circle drive on Rutherford just West of Cameron. Where it dead ends to the North there might be a secret.

Anybody remember a place called Peppertree? It was at the SE corner of 35 and Ben White. We used to rip there back in the day (70's). This thread made me think of it..

Be careful at Ikea, the police are watching.

Is it cool to have this conversation here???? I've been trying to be discrete...

Thanks for the warning. But I personally am not too worried about the police. I'm a full grown adult who is usually bringing my kids there to play. Its pretty harmless and low-key. If they don't want me there, I'd be very willing and ready to move on. FYI- last time I was there, the trail was COMPLETELY overgrown. We just played in the open areas.

Cheers,
CJB

I look at that boat carcass every time I come back in from Dallas on 130 lol. I would love to find some decent easy going area to ride up in North Austin.

I was traveling to Austin from Dallas every week for work from about August through December and unfortunately I did not get my DR and start rebuilding it until January but I swear if I have to spend some more time down in the area (which I think I am going to have some training days in the region soon I am going to be doing a lot of exploring in that area and some other locations along 130 I have found as well, lol. I expressly want to get a closer view of the remains of that boat, lol. :rider:

I know a place that might work right around where the Pickle parkway meets 35 up near Georgetown. I always notice it around some water area that has the busted up remains of someones old fiberglass boat along the shoreline. I've thought may times I would love to have my DR in the back of the truck in order to head in and check out how soft the dirt is (or see if anyone would chase you off). I know you can roll down the side of the tollway and it looks like no fences are there so who knows. These are the Google maps Coordinates.... 30.655502, -97.637344

The parcel you are referring to in Georgetown, between SH 130 and the Inner Loop, is owned by Williamson County. Maybe 1½-2 years ago they installed no trespassing signs along the Inner Loop access points. Since then they have been enforcing that warning. Be careful, it is tempting and a fun place to ride, but Johnny Law is watching and will require a stiff non-negotiable payment if he catches you there.

I was thinking more of riding down from the tollway side and just looking closer at the boat and then moving on. Not so much lingering, lol.

I've also been looking for places to run the Xr400 around Georgetown. I haven't really found anything promising, but it would be nice to find some dirt roads or gravel just to play on in the area.

Legal? There is a construction area near me that is fairly flat and abandoned on Sundays. However it will be a mud pit this weekend. Basically they graded an area near to make a retention pond and they are no longer working in that area. Otherwise I'd stay away.
LoL. Might not take it kindly if their grading gets disturbed.

So, friends, I'm in search of about 2 acres of dirt near-ish to Austin where I can ride my XR around in circles, learning to handle that thing, turn with the rear, do low-speed slaloms, lift the front and other such tomfoolery. Practicing the stuff I learned in UlyBrad's excellent class and attempting to learn to turn like in this video.

As an urbanite, I don't get the opportunity to just step outside, hop on the XR and slide the rear around in dirt. So where's a guy to learn?

Yes, there's Hidden Fall's but that's overkill for what I'm looking for, and too far away. Ideally (for me) this would be within maybe 30 miles of central Austin. It would be amazing to setup a little dirt-gymkhana circuit at some point, but I could also just bring out little cones or other small markers. Some place where I could drop in, ride in slow figure-eights for a hour or two, burn gas and make noise, then head home.

Anyone else interested in something like this? Anyone know of a place?
People do that at the parking lot of Emma Long. Done it myself.

Bastrop trails. I learned at least half of what I know there.

There's an empty lot on the north side of 1431, just west of Lakeline Blvd. in Cedar Park that has a dirt and rock trail winding through it. It's not long (about 1/2 mile, I think, if you were to straighten it out). It's also not particularly challenging, but it's got dirt, some very mild ruts, some rocks, and a mild hill to climb or descend. And the trail winds through some decent practice turns.

I ride it every now and again when I'm headed out toward Marble Falls, to brush up on dirt skills a bit if I haven't taken a bike somewhere better in awhile.

I know this thread is old, but new people are around here frequently, and I know I was in the same boat as the OP relatively recently... :)

Last edited:
For new riders:

Info on riding:

Near Houston:

Perhaps these will assist.

Back