• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Street gloves????

Shaggy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hershberger
I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 textile gloves and while I like them a lot, the right one does have a tendancy to stretch out (one second warranty replacement) and now the cloth/foam/elastic type material the runs around the wrist is starting to separate from the palm simply from just pulling them on.

So, it looks like I will be in the market for a new set of gloves soon. Recommendations? I dont really like the ones that go halfway up your forearm. I dont ride in the rain and if its cold enough to need winter wear, I would probably just drive to work.

Anyone had good luck with a set and something they would buy again?

I wear Held gloves. I like the Held Summer Mesh for most of the year and I also use the Held Steve gloves for long trips when I'm unsure of the weather.

They aren't particularly inexpensive, but I've tried a lot of different gloves and I haven't found any that fit or last as well as the Helds.

For the winter I bought a pair of gloves from Honda. They are branded honda. They have been the best gloves I have ever bought. Well worth the $40 I spent on them.

im pretty sure Joe Rocket makes the Honda gear.

I dont have a lot of time with em, but I really like my Alpine* SMX-3 gloves. I tried the SPS and SMX-Carbon gloves, but really like the -3 glove.

Suggestion: just get a new set of the JR gloves and try sprinkling some powder on your hands to make them slide on easier.

I know what you mean about the comfort aspect. I've got a pair of the JR Atomic 2.0 mechanic-style gloves and while they probably don't provide near as much protection as a full gauntlet glove, they're sooooo much more comfortable in warm weather.

I dunno. I think I am about done with JR. I bought a Phoenix 4 Jacket and 3.0 gloves the same day I got my bike. The jacket started to fray about two days later and the gloves lasted about a week before they stretched out way too big for me and they were tight to begin with. So I sold those and bought a smaller size only to have the right hand glove stretch about two sizes. The jacket and gloves got replaced after sending them back and being without gear for two weeks, but the new jacket doesnt flow as well as the old one but at least it hasnt started fraying yet. The gloves, well they have stretched out again and as noted earlier the cuffs are starting to seperate on both after less than a month of use.

I think I am going to replace the gloves with another brand, get them replaced under warranty and keep the new replacements as a back up or pass them on to someone else that might want them. But either way, I am not sure I will be buying JR gear again.

Comfort aside, whatever you get MUST stay on your hands as you slide across the tarmac, usually backwards. The Alpinestars I love are no longer made so I can't find a linky.

If you can find a pair, look for the Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 gloves. I luv 'em and have got two pair and might get another pair for when they're no longer available. I've worn my first pair a lot over the last year and the only thing that's happened is the textile part has faded to a very dark purple. I've worn them in the rain and got no bleeding from the leather. Great gloves!

Tour Master AirFlow. Reinforced and good grips in all the right places, yet well vented between the fingers and lightweight--practically the only glove I wear unless it's below 40 degrees. Then I pull on the leather over-the-wrist serious weather gloves.

I just bought some First Gear gloves from New Enough on eBay. They are really nice, but are taking a while breaking in. They are still really stiff.

My experience with JR stuff is that it is really poor quality and workmanship, but it is very comfortable in the store. That tends to lead to alot of sales. I wouldn't trust it to hold up in a crash at all.

Right now my money is going into First Gear and Hein Gericke products. Both can be found for extremely good prices, and both seem to be of high quality. I haven't crash tested any of it yet though, so YMMV.

I like Held gloves ... a lot. The Steve gloves look like the closest currrent model to what I have now - they have a very handy squeegee in the left forefinger so that you can wipe fog, mist etc off your visor. Kangaroo hide, velcro wrist fastener and the gauntlets don't run too high up the arm. I'm in the market for a new set - my first pair has lasted almost 8 years of daily duty.

Dave.

I have to agree with you. I have used Joe Rocket for some time now, and in the past they have proven to be pretty good quality, but in the past few years it seems they are getting worse. I am pretty much done with Joe Rocket. I would rather spend a lil more on equipment and have it last longer. Everyones opinion may be different, but I wont invest in Joe Rocket anymore myself. I just bought some Helimot gloves and they are very good quality. They are not cheap, but I figure if they last me twice or three times as long then they are worth it. Held is a great product too from everything I have heard and read, but they are around the same price as the helimot. Im sure Teknic, MotoGP, AGV and a some others make pretty good gloves too. I tend to get the models that are midway or above in the product line just for quality reasons. :)

Good luck,

Vaughn
Shaggy said:
I dunno. I think I am about done with JR. I bought a Phoenix 4 Jacket and 3.0 gloves the same day I got my bike. The jacket started to fray about two days later and the gloves lasted about a week before they stretched out way too big for me and they were tight to begin with. So I sold those and bought a smaller size only to have the right hand glove stretch about two sizes. The jacket and gloves got replaced after sending them back and being without gear for two weeks, but the new jacket doesnt flow as well as the old one but at least it hasnt started fraying yet. The gloves, well they have stretched out again and as noted earlier the cuffs are starting to seperate on both after less than a month of use.

I think I am going to replace the gloves with another brand, get them replaced under warranty and keep the new replacements as a back up or pass them on to someone else that might want them. But either way, I am not sure I will be buying JR gear again.

Last edited:
Joe rocket balistic 4.0 are nice and snug, but below 50'f they get cold on the fingers. first pair of JR gloves I usually get Icon or First Gear, so far they are holding up real nice... could be luck...

TexBiker said:
I wear Held gloves. I like the Held Summer Mesh for most of the year and I also use the Held Steve gloves for long trips when I'm unsure of the weather.

They aren't particularly inexpensive, but I've tried a lot of different gloves and I haven't found any that fit or last as well as the Helds.

+1. Held gloves are wonderful, but they are not cheap. I am very happy with my Steve's. Extremely comfortable and lightweight. Haven't had the opportunity to test how crashworthy they are, fortunately.

You can buy them here.

A good place for bagains is motorcyclecloseouts.com. They have the JR Reactor gloves on closeout for $30.

Joe%20Rocket%20Reactor%20Gloves%20-%20Gun%20Metal.jpg
Here.

I have the Alpinestars S-MX Air Carbon gloves. The rubber doo-dad on the velcro closure came unglued on both gloves, but some super glue fixed it right up. No other issues. I think they run a tad small though.

Back