• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any Hot Weather Waterproof Boots Out There?

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
Got caught in a bit of a deluge the other day, actually I rode right into it on purpose, and my so-called waterproof steel toe work boots didn't even give the pretense of being waterproof.:giveup: I broke out my ReV'it winter boots but they're a little too hot. I commute on the bike almost every day and I'm already in the habit of changing shoes in the office. Can anybody suggest a "cooler" (not too narrow) waterproof summer boot?

. . . . . . . . . oh yeah, I've already seen the ATGATT sandalls. :rofl:

I wear a pair of Bates Special Ops with Gore-tex liner. They're completely waterproof but are hot due to the liner. True waterproof has to have the membrane liner so you can't get away from that.

The alternative is to get boots that vent well and drain well and avoid cotton sox.

Not saying steel toe work boots are good for riding, but have you treated them?.....something along the lines of "dubbin".....makes almost any leather boat waterproof.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbin

And h*ll, it looks like we can use it to lube our drive chains...just kidding.....*L*

I just wore out a pair of Oxtar boots that were made of leather/breathable nylon. They kept the water out when riding for the whole time I owned them. But, they would only pass the dunk test for about a year before they would leak while standing in water. They were cooler than any of the Sidi boots that I have owned in the past.

Carl

I've been riding in my Ecco hitop hiking boots with gore-tex lining. While they may not be the perfect motorcycle boot, they are about a perfect all around boot.

Never had a problem with rain as my Aerostich legs cover the boot tops. They breathe extremely well.

Dave.

Been wearing a pair of Oxtar Matrix 2 boots I got from NewEnough on closeout (the new name is TCX and of course they cost a lot more) and they feel fine in Hawaii. Haven't had any issues with hot feet so I guess the Gore-Tex liner and real leather works pretty good.

I was looking at the TCX Air Tech XCR Touring Boots since they have fabric panels, but being the cheap Bandit rider I am I couldn't pass up the closeout price on the Matrix 2.

I switch between the Matrix 2 and a pair of Doc Martens which also work well in the heat (yeah I know, not REAL riding boots but more comfortable walking) Just spray your boots with some leather waterproofing to be safe.

Aloha,
Huladog

I just wore out a pair of Oxtar boots that were made of leather/breathable nylon. They kept the water out when riding for the whole time I owned them. But, they would only pass the dunk test for about a year before they would leak while standing in water. They were cooler than any of the Sidi boots that I have owned in the past.

Carl

U stood in the water for a year? :lol2:

Thanks everyone for all the input.
TCX-AirtechGTX_XCR.jpg

Ok, the Air Tech's are on the way. Motorcycle Superstore has 'em for $233.99 with free shipping.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/...&zmap=12274

I'll post a report after my first rain ride.

BTW: New Enough has a closeout deal on this boot under the Oxtar label (sizes 42 and smaller $109 to $149).
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain...ring_boots.html

TCX Air Tech Gore-tex XCR waterproof summer "mesh" boots!!:clap:
TCX-AirtechGTX_XCR.jpg

The boots arrived today. My initial impression: lightweight and comfortable enough. The comfort test will take time and I usually switch out the insoles for "gellin" ones anyway. I wore them around the shop all morning with no red flags. The fit is true to size (44), even a little roomier than my ReV'it boots - plenty of room for my D-width feet, Not at all like the narrow euro design of Alpinestars or Frank Thomas boots I've tried. On the bike around town this afternoon with temps in the low 90's I could feel air flow on my feet! This evening at highway speed the Air Tech's performed even better! So far I give them a :thumb: :thumb: . I'll post again after I get 'em wet.

Anyway, just go buy a pair! They're great!

Last edited:
TCX-AirtechGTX_XCR.jpg

So far I give them a :thumb: :thumb: . I'll post again after I get 'em wet.

Well Hurricane Dolly sent a little rain my way today. I rode about 25 miles in a sustained downpour. Unlike my winter boots, with the Air Tech's on I can really feel those Texas sized raindrops and splashes from the highway hitting the tops of my feet but when I pulled them off the only moisture on my socks was a little perspiration above the ankle where the solid leather part of the boot is. These things really work! I can't tell you how pleased I am. I'm glad I don't have to go through another summer with limited protection trying to make a pair of work boots do the job.:clap:

I have a pair of Tony Lama Steel Toe pull on work boots that are actually also good for going out to wear normally. Very comfortable, not too hot, haven't worn them on my bike yet though.

TLX I think is what they are called

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...s/service&start=0&selectedSKU=0548-04498-0008

Been wearing these for a while. I haven't had a chance to ride in the rain, but when I clean them I just set them in the bathtub with a little water. I get them super wet since they can get quite filthy from being out at the dirt track on friday nights. I have yet to have them get wet inside after cleaning. I wear them for every ride, I even rode when it was 107 outside and with a pair of plain cotton socks. I had no problem with my feet getting too hot. I am confident they will be waterproof when the time comes to actually test them out in a downpour since I have stood in a puddle of water for well over 5 minutes that was almost past my ankles and got no water in them.

UPDATE: Just wanted to add to my "initial quality" review. This is my 3rd summer wearing the TCX Airtech's on the bike every day 1200 to 1500 miles a month 8 months a year. They still look like new, the soles are wearing well (I don't walk in them any more than I have to) and I stepped in a puddle the other day with no wetness worries. If you're lookin' for waterproof boots with air flow - buy 'em. :clap:

TCX-AirtechGTX_XCR.jpg

The boots arrived today. My initial impression: lightweight and comfortable enough. The comfort test will take time and I usually switch out the insoles for "gellin" ones anyway. I wore them around the shop all morning with no red flags. The fit is true to size (44), even a little roomier than my ReV'it boots - plenty of room for my D-width feet, Not at all like the narrow euro design of Alpinestars or Frank Thomas boots I've tried. On the bike around town this afternoon with temps in the low 90's I could feel air flow on my feet! This evening at highway speed the Air Tech's performed even better! So far I give them a :thumb: :thumb: . I'll post again after I get 'em wet.

Anyway, just go buy a pair! They're great!

Last edited:
Those are the boots I always recommend to people looking for a waterproof summer boot. Good to see a review that agrees with mine! BTW we (New Enough) are selling them for $224.99 w/ free shipping. Not bad at all for a very good boot.

+100, add some Coolmax socks and you have, IMHO, the perfect setup! :rider:

J

I wear my WP boots year round. I think the key is the socks. I wear the lifetime guaranteed wool moisture wicking socks from Bass Pro Shops. They're like walking on carpet all day.

When the temps get below 50, I'm more comfortable with the air cut off so the TCX Air Tech XCR Touring Boots get put up for the "winter"... :mrgreen:

J

When the temps get below 50, I'm more comfortable with the air cut off so the TCX Air Tech XCR Touring Boots get put up for the "winter"... :mrgreen:

J

Same here. In winter I switch to my Sidi On Roads. They're incredible too. :trust:

Can anybody suggest a "cooler" (not too narrow) waterproof summer boot?

Sidi Mega Way Rain.

The "mega" means the instep is higher, and they're supposedly a bit wider. They have some mesh, so when it's hot, you can stick your feet out in the wind stream, and feel the air blow through them. I wear a 9 or 9.5-E, and bought size 43 euro. They're not leather, they're more like Chevy naugahyde.
new enough

good morning,

i wear the "tourmaster solution" wp boots (about $125)to work year round...standing all day, 8 hr shift...i like the boots....:clap:

good luck,
FREE TEXAS,
bluebonnet2

Back