• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

6/4 SMR to Fayetteville

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
It started off as an early morning with a little fog/smog as I headed down I10 toward the meet-up point.

73387667-M.jpg

It quickly cleared up as we headed out from the JIB in Brookshire at 8 ~ish.

73387677-M.jpg

We had decided on two groups, the fast and the 'not so fast'. Stuart "Thermalser" was gracious enough to lead the second group, and kept a nice, easy pace.

Shortly into the ride, we came upon one of the 'fast' riders on the side of the road doing something to his tire/axle/chain. I have no idea who it was or what was wrong with the bike, but the guys had it back on the road before too long.

73387682-M.jpg

73387684-M.jpg

73387696-M.jpg

Once in Fayetteville, we dismounted and headed inside for brunch.

73387704-M.jpg

The first group had clearly been there for a while already, as some of them were halfway through their meals when we sat down. (Apparently I didn't take any pictures inside Orsak's, but I'm sure someone else must have)

Back out on the road, Stuart, Patricia, Moe, Weaver, and myself decided to meander around a bit before heading for home. Heading through a sweeping left-hander, I suddenly found myself looking at the edge of the road and started drifting toward it. :eek2: Luckily, I was able to pull my eyes back up and toward the road ahead, and narrowly avoided running off the road. I took a deep breath and just as I was patting myself on the back for getting through it cleanly, my rear view mirror presented the sight of Weaver taking almost the same line I had through the turn... except that he didn't keep it on the road. He ran off the pavement and stood it up on the grass, and was able to keep it up and ride it back onto the pavement. Nice save! :clap:

A short while later, the last two bikes disappeared off the radar. Patricia's speedo cable had fallen off (?) but the bike was still rideable. Once we got moving again, all three bikes disappeared behind me. Apparently Weaver's bike didn't want to start back up after shutting down during Patricia's mechanical failure. He waited a few minutes and eventually got it started again, so we were once again heading East.

When we stopped for a break in Chappel Hill, we found the first group again! They can't get rid of us! MWAAAHAHAHA! :twisted:

73387707-M.jpg

My riding companions pretended they weren't sweaty, gross, and smelly and got together for a quick pic...

L to R: Weaver, BlackWidow, Thermalser, Faylaricia
73387710-M.jpg

We all agreed it was getting late for a "short ride", and we'd all slab it back on 290 to our separate exits. Once Stuart left, we were faced with a bit of a snafu... Weaver's bike wouldn't start again! The previous remedy of waiting and trying again didn't work this time, so the first choice was a push start.

73387718-M.jpg

Even got some funny video of it!

Still not wanting to vroom vroom, the TL had to be taken apart to expose the battery for a jump start. Umm... except one of the screws was an ill-fitting replacement and didn't want to come loose without possibly cracking the fairing tab.

73387721-M.jpg

Frustrated and about to give up, Weaver decided to hit the starter button just for kicks. We have liftoff! Now just DON'T STOP on the way home! :lol2:

Other than some ROT Rally traffic and typical 290 construction, it was smooth sailing all the way back.

73387725-M.jpg

73387731-M.jpg

Despite a few mechanical mishaps and the close calls, it was a great day out on the roads. It was hot, but the true heat of the Houston summer has still yet to rear it's ugly head. I had a great time meeting folks and having fun out there! :rider:

Glad you all had a good time and made it home safely! :thumb: Wish I could've gone, but chores and errands have kept me busy all day - with many more loads of laundry still to do! :(

Weaver, ever figure out what was wrong with your bike?

oh pooh on you!!! so fast! and with video too!!!

-- i havent gotten into it yet.... i just put a new battery in it a week ago when the same thing happened (and the battery tested as bad AND was 3 yrs old...)

id jump in and say alternator but i dunno.... i was going to run outta gas if i didnt stop on the way home to fuel up and you guessed it... it wouldnt start again... so i layed in the grass and chilled a while and it started eventually....

so in thinking about this... its only happened twice... only happened after multiple starts and lots of riding... and when the bikes temp has gotten up there...

wondering if i dont have a sticking starter or something of that nature (when it gets hot maybe...)

Chatterbox said:
Glad you all had a good time and made it home safely! :thumb: Wish I could've gone, but chores and errands have kept me busy all day - with many more loads of laundry still to do! :(

Weaver, ever figure out what was wrong with your bike?

Hey Biker mom, i hope you dont mind. But some one there among the TSBA riders had an emergency sheet going around. And since i dont know any one THAT knows that i ride and have a bike and is related to me, i thought of giving Patricia's number but she was riding as well. And Panos was out of the question he'd be like "haaa wha? oh ok, i'm sleepin dude ;) ".

So i gave your number in case of the emergency and your name just for this one ride. Should have asked you first, hope you did'nt mind :yawn:

Weaver said:
oh pooh on you!!! so fast! and with video too!!!

-- i havent gotten into it yet.... i just put a new battery in it a week ago when the same thing happened (and the battery tested as bad AND was 3 yrs old...)

id jump in and say alternator but i dunno.... i was going to run outta gas if i didnt stop on the way home to fuel up and you guessed it... it wouldnt start again... so i layed in the grass and chilled a while and it started eventually....

so in thinking about this... its only happened twice... only happened after multiple starts and lots of riding... and when the bikes temp has gotten up there...

wondering if i dont have a sticking starter or something of that nature (when it gets hot maybe...)

I see that you got to enjoy the experience of attempting to push start a liter-twin. :doh:

So i gave your number in case of the emergency and your name just for this one ride. Should have asked you first, hope you did'nt mind

It's never a problem. I'd rather you have someone to call then having to be on your own if something happens. ;-)

BTW - I won't be in town next weekend. Cornerworking at the races in Cresson (south of Ft. Worth). Guess you'll have to use someone else, sorry.

Glad you had a good time!!!! :mrgreen:

:rofl: @ the video.
That is too good! I am laughing so hard, my tummy is hurting.

We can laugh now, right?! :lol2:

.. still don't know why you guys went back up the other hill and didn't keep going down the road. ;-)

Will post more pics in a minute.

This is the weekly TSBA ride and they meet every Sunday at 8 am an the JackintheBox in Brookshire at I-10 and FM359. Stuart (Thermalser) offered to take me on a slow ride to help me get my confidence back and have someone sweep who can constructively critique and help me with my riding. Called Cindy last night and she said Jim is the generous sweeper and he would be there in the morning with Stuart.

Moe and I were there at 7:30 but Weaver beat us there. Slowly more people started showing up, Squeaky, Jim, Linda and a bunch of TSBA guys Chris, Pete, Charles, Tom, Scott, Paul (?) (sorry, didn't get all names). Then at 8:25 am we had a quick huddle to discuss riding rules and split into two groups. :sun: There were nineteen bikes. 9 wanted to ride in the 'slow-paced' group and 8 in the FAST group. The street was referred to as a track ;-)

Jib_Front-lg.jpg

An hour later the slow group met up with the fast group in Fayetteville.

Fayetteville_2.jpg

Fayetteville_1.jpg

While I was taking pictures of the bikes I hear this "Are you with Two Wheeled Texans?" - "Yeah ...?!" - " I recognize you from your avatar, there aren't too many girls on green bikes with red jackets!".. Come to find out, it was Voltar from Austin. He was meeting a friend in Fayetteville and was waiting on him. Here he is with his beautiful BMW GS.

Voltar.jpg

Here is Moe on his new Miss Raven:

Moe_Raven.jpg

and Weaver, who finally made it out and it sure was an adventure for him. And hey, this time we not only took pictures, but also had it on video, so it definitely happened!

Weaver.jpg

And sorry, Squeaky, I also didn't take any pictures inside. :doh:
Overall, I had a blast. The ride to Fayetteville was still very frustrating but then Jim gave me some good pointers about when to get ready for a curve and told me to put the ball of my foot on the pegs in curves after I shifted. WOW did that make a difference. All of a sudden this little Ninja turned into a 'flickable' (that is the word, right?!) super-handy fun machine and on the way from Fayetteville over Round Top to Chappel Hill I had a great time hugging the curves. It warmed us up with "50mph" curves which I don't know the actual speed we did as my speedometer was off but I know it wasn't 50! :mrgreen: Then there were some tighter ones and I think I did fine. They felt great.

Good job everyone! Thanks to Stuart for leading and to Jim for sweeping and the useful tips.

Glad to hear things are clicking for you Patricia! :thumb:

Nice meeting you. Small world. My friend did show up and we ended up riding around 350 miles after all was said and done.

Fayeteville is a pretty happenin' place on a hot Sunday. :sun:

Faylaricia said:
While I was taking pictures of the bikes I hear this "Are you with Two Wheeled Texans?" - "Yeah ...?!" - " I recognize you from your avatar, there aren't too many girls on green bikes with red jackets!".. Come to find out, it was Voltar from Austin. He was meeting a friend in Fayetteville and was waiting on him. Here he is with his beautiful BMW GS.

Voltar.jpg

Weaver said:
so i layed in the grass and chilled a while and it started eventually....

Next time carry a bottle of water, if it does not want to turn over spray the starter to cool it off. If you get her to fire up you have your answer. Take the starter to a altenator/ starter shop they can rebuild it before you burn up the motor. Way cheaper than paying for a new one.:doh:

Tourmeister said:
Glad to hear things are clicking for you Patricia! :thumb:

Thanks! So far so good. :pray: :lol2:

Voltar said:
Fayeteville is a pretty happenin' place on a hot Sunday. :sun:

I still wonder what that music and the minitiature festtent were all about???

Squidward said:
I see that you got to enjoy the experience of attempting to push start a liter-twin. :doh:

yep.... never have been able to either time this has happened....haha....

DaveC said:
Next time carry a bottle of water, if it does not want to turn over spray the starter to cool it off. If you get her to fire up you have your answer. Take the starter to a altenator/ starter shop they can rebuild it before you burn up the motor. Way cheaper than paying for a new one.:doh:

thanks for the tip!

DaveC said:

Hm, we could've stuck it right in front of the icebox too. Opened the doors and let the cool air hit it. :lol2:

It was a pleasure leading some of the newer folks on the ride. Everyone rode well within their limits and did a fine job riding within the structure of the group. I'd be happy to ride with all of you again in the future!:rider:

Sorry I missed it. I stayed up till about 4:30am so getting up at 6:30was not an option. I really did want to go though! Even my GF said don't you have a ride today-that was about 11:30 when I got up, lol. Sounds like fun though. Was the route about the same as our wet weekend ride that Moe missed? Also glad that Patricia is getting used to her two wheeld shoes.

Oh by the way, Weaver-NICE TLR I am jealous. Love those colors. Maybe we can switch bikes on a JIB ride one weekend. I ride an 04' SV1000S, so close but no cigar. lol.

RECIT said:
Oh by the way, Weaver-NICE TLR I am jealous. Love those colors. Maybe we can switch bikes on a JIB ride one weekend. I ride an 04' SV1000S, so close but no cigar. lol.

sure... you can get on it when it wont start and ill get on yours... :)

seriously though thanks and sure

Weaver...if you keep having the same problem, try looking at the voltage regulator/rectifier. Both my current bikes, FJ1200 and Superhawk 996 are known to have those problems.

3D02 said:
Weaver...if you keep having the same problem, try looking at the voltage regulator/rectifier. Both my current bikes, FJ1200 and Superhawk 996 are known to have those problems.

one is on order (UPS next day air and its still cheaper than the dealer which takes 5-7 days...)

thnks to timsv650, i think we narrowed it down to being that... plus some exhaustive searches on the TLR forumes came up with the same answer...

Back