• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend in Late February

I like the extra fuel possibility for my 4 wheelers also when hunting in NM. We spent one day hunting and exploring during this years' hunt. We were gone nearly all day. Got back to camp and was nearly on empty. My son is moving back to the states this year and hopefully get Kings Bay. He has said he wants in on the hunt this year. I was considering different fuel capacity options. Nice looking bike too, Mitch.

Wish I could but already planning on a March trip down to Uncles... Good luck with the weather..

Yeah, that weather can be tricky. Today is going to be a typical Big Bend winter day. With full sunshine it is supposed to be a frigid 70 degrees this afternoon. How will we survive???

I am gearing up for this outing and wondering about tire choices.
Not taking the DRZ, rather a XR650L

Shinko 244 seems to be a popular choice for a 50/50 tire.

I'm open to suggestions and opinions, though.

I’ve had well publicized problems with shinko tires. I’d use something else. You want a 50/50 tire on the xr650? Why not more dirt focused? I’m running D606s on the WR. Seems to work well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that weather can be tricky. Today is going to be a typical Big Bend winter day. With full sunshine it is supposed to be a frigid 70 degrees this afternoon. How will we survive???

It’s nice up here too. We had a good weekend. Ok, Saturday started out cloudy and rainy. But is got better.

70° sounds warmer than here. We made it to 67° I think.

We weather will do what it’s going to do. Just need to be prepared for it.

I’ve had well publicized problems with shinko tires. I’d use something else. You want a 50/50 tire on the xr650? Why not more dirt focused? I’m running D606s on the WR. Seems to work well for me.

I agree. I wouldn't run anything less aggressive then a 606. Maybe something cheaper but no less aggressive. LOL.

I agree. I wouldn't run anything less aggressive then a 606. Maybe something cheaper but no less aggressive. LOL.

Yeah, 606s somehow got expensive. They used to be pretty reasonable.

Those who are staying at a hotel, I am assuming everyone is staying at the rooms at US118 and US170 and not the Lodge inside the park. Correct?

Checking in Friday the 23rd and out Thursday March 1.

Those who are staying at a hotel, I am assuming everyone is staying at the rooms at US118 and US170 and not the Lodge inside the park. Correct?

mitchntx, that’s the dates I’m planning as well. My college buddy Brian and I are renting a house that’s owned by another college friend of ours. It’s about 20 mi north of Terlingua. We may have another guy from Houston tagging along as well. Really looking forward to this.

Big Bend Resort and Adventures. 432-371-2218

They're at the intersection of 118 and 170 in downtown Study Butte. I'll be camping there. They have a hotel, RV park, campground and the gas station all right there.

I think I understand why you are camping.

Rooms are $100/night.

Rooms are $100/night.

Yeah, and to be honest, the rooms are a little odd. Some people complained the rooms were small, noisy or A/C worked too well.

I'm cheap. I don't mind camping if the weather is good.

Rooms are $100/night.

Check with Chisos Mining Co. Motel (432) 371-2254 and they have a website. Not sure of their rates now, but I have stayed there 3 times and were considerably cheaper. We found them clean with lots of hot water. Just what we were looking for. YMMV

Thanks killer.

I checked and it appears to be ~30/night cheaper.
Can't get any one to answer, though.

Thanks killer.

There’s no pleasing you! You get it cheap OR with service. You pick one. Lol [emoji23]

Rethinking this ...

Maybe I'll camp next to you.
I snore really loud.

Rethinking this ...

Maybe I'll camp next to you.

I snore really loud.

So do I! We can have the Terlingua philharmonic and be the horn section!

Come on and camp. Your snoring isn’t going to bother me. I also have ear plugs. Camping in the pop-up section (electricity and water) is $29 a night.

So do I! We can have the Terlingua philharmonic and be the horn section!

Come on and camp. Your snoring isn’t going to bother me. I also have ear plugs. Camping in the pop-up section (electricity and water) is $29 a night.

A large cabin at Chisos Mining with 4 beds will cost each person that same amount. Plus you'll get get private shower, crapper and a full kitchen. Remember if camping at BB Resorts you'll be spending extra $ daily for showers also as coin operated.

_

I'll commit to a bed in a cabin.

But I'm also pursuing other options.

One of which is selling all motorcycles and taking up ballroom dancing.

I'll commit to a bed in a cabin.

But I'm also pursuing other options.

One of which is selling all motorcycles and taking up ballroom dancing.

Well, let me know about the cabin. If it is that cheap, I might be swayed. And I know of another fence sitter that might commit at that price as well.

What SilverBullet says is true. Showers are extra.

Thanks killer.

They do require a check to be mailed to hold reservation I believe. 7 day cancellation notification for full refund.

Killer ....... I guess that's better than Crash.

Back