• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FS: 2003 KLX400 / DRZ400, $4800 100% rebuilt and "customized"

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

Bike is located in Houston, TX

Asking $4800. Steep, I know, but that's what It would take to part with after the time and work and materials in this thing. Am flexible, but want to see where things go.

aMrsxqHEzQGJ7c4xkGYL0AtAtHJCDcCPEChWADfJncflnapEzuocfgTH5wRGLdsqfAEAqeh45La7PJ0Qow=w1083-h900-no.jpg

More images- images

Suppose it's time to start the process of getting rid of my beloved KLX400 though. Bought it from a comrade on here with a dying lower rod bearing and have rebuilt it all. Planned to keep it as my main ride but - It's a hard bike to ride in Houston (distracted drivers) and I'm restoring a Yamaha BW350 that may be my main bike...

I've ridden (and still ride every now and then) it around and mileage will continue to go up, but for all practical purposes this machine has 400 miles on it. Motor completely gone through and wearable parts replaced. Suspension all gone through and replaced and greased.

Rear Shock is the only thing I did not rebuild, and it works great.

Have tons of pictures of the process and happy to share.

List of work and modifications is long, but here are the highlights:

Powder Coated engine cases and rear spring bright green (hey, it is a Kawasaki...)

HotRods Crank and rod kit
rebuilt FCR carb
Valves shimmed
New oil pump and timing chain
All new bearings in engine

Rebuilt and inspected front forks.
Rebuilt rear shock linkage.
New front wheel bearings (rear bearing kit included, but not needed yet)
New brake pads front and rear

DRZ-SM wiring harness to work the...
LED lights all the way around.
New Acerbis plastics
AGM Battery

Extra Heavy Duty tubes front and rear.
New IRC Tires front and rear

Waterless coolant
Trailtech Voyager instrumentation (water temp sender is not accurate. working on that now.)

Bike starts and runs and drives great. It's geared for the trail. For serious trail riders, a new headlight is needed. I strapped on a GSXR headlight.

Clear title in my name. Reg. expired in November but I may renew it by the time it sells.

Thanks Ad. My sentiment as well.

But in fairness, it's a steep price for a DRZ so I can understand a bit of the incredulousness, though with such astute ascertations as "crack pipe price" i'd suggest taking a break from reading jalopnik satire, sven ;)

Sven you'll no doubt know that all DRZ400s are not created equal. The most desirable models come with an airbox that needs no mods, cams with more lift (at least on the intake side) a coveted FCR Pumper Carb.

Further, you can get a WR250r for this price or less. And it' will be more nimble offroad, have better fuel economy, and be lighter all around but will never find 150cc's of displacement no matter how much it believes in itself.

And yeah, you can maybe find a GS 1100 that has a german pedigree of reliability, around the world reputation, and will cruise smoothly at 80mph down the wilds of the american highways system all day, but you know first hand the heft of that beast.

All dual sports are a compromise between on road performance and off road ability. You know this.

For my money, the DRZ400E (KLX400) is the right blend of power for the road and light weight for the trail. It sits in a rare position.

I'd argue that pressing out rear linkage bearings, prophylactically replacing every seal, installing all new engine bearings, cleaning motor components, inspecting tolerances, run outs, clearances etc. is not routine maintenance. But as a self styled "professional mechanic" you no doubt know that routine maintenance is anything but, and you'll appreciate the modicum of skill it takes to split cases, pull cranks, remove blind bearings, powdercoat cases, procure the right shims valve shims, set timing, disassemble the modern showa fork, wire the DRZ-E computer to a similar but different SM harness all while tapping in LEDs. There's a high likelihood that I esteem my abilities too highly, though.

Anyway, all to say -

The tank bears the marks of a loved life off road. The plastics are new. They're earning some scratches here and there though.

You can't see "nothing making it 5g" because it I'm not asking that much. :trust: That's the WilliamSven Special price. I'll throw in free delivery to Converse, too.

I'd venture a guess that as you're haggling the XR650 that's listed here down from $2700, this bike is not for you. C'est la vie.

Best of luck in your search for a bike, and thanks for the constructive criticism.

For my money, the DRZ400E (KLX400) is the right blend of power for the road and light weight for the trail. It sits in a rare position.
The KLX400R is similar to the DRZ400E while the KLX400SR is like the DRZ400S. I don't see it specified but I guess this is a KLX400R.

My sumoed & plated DRZ400E was one of my most favorite bikes.

Motorcycle selling Rule #1 .... start high and go from there.
Rule 2 don't be offended by no or low offers

Back