• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

totally clueless

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sidders
I was in Sam's Club earlier and they have a Nikon camera that looks like a slr but with a non removable zoom lens...On sale for $199...It's a coolpix , L 810 I would like to upgrade my cheap Vivitar point and shoot ,,I guess the question is Should I go with this.Good bang for the buck?..I miss my old Canon AE-1...... Thanks Ed

Last edited:
This one? Nikon L810
353_26294_L180_left.png

Looks like a nice little camera. Long zoom, decent iris options, etc.

If you're looking for something compact, there are more compact cameras, but this is far more compact than most DSLRs.

I've no experience with that camera, so can't comment specifically.

In general, the folks that make a living on professional cameras (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc) make good small cameras.
Companies that make other things and decided to do cameras as well (HP, Kodak, etc) aren't as good. IMHO.

Actually when I look for a PnS, I specifically look for one that takes AA batteries. You are correct, rechargeables will last a long time.

I have a Panasonic Lumix that goes with me when I travel on the bike. I have an older Fuji "bridge" camera similar to what you are looking at but older technology. The "bridge" cameras are a good compromise for folks who want more than a PnS but don't want to mess with a DSLR. Nikon makes good stuff so if it meets your needs and feels good in the hand, I think you could do a lot worse.

Happy shooting.

Eh, a good set of rechargeables will practically last you the life of the camera.

i always check the cost/availability of batteries b4 buying ANY electronic item

AA's are available everywhere

rechargeable AA's can be had, quite reasonably, @ BEST BUY, WALLY WORLD, TARGET..........

GOLD TOP AA's can be had @ any sleazy stop/grocery store/gas station...........

is it worth missing the ability to bring home the images your eyes saw, just because your camera ran out of electjuicity???

sw

Thanks for the input , the L 810 is the one I'm looking at. I like the replacable AA battery power system. I keep a pack each of AA's and AAA's in the tank bag. Also have Hi Cap AA NiMh rechargables..... Now price shopping..

Thanks for the input , the L 810 is the one I'm looking at. I like the replacable AA battery power system. I keep a pack each of AA's and AAA's in the tank bag. Also have Hi Cap AA NiMh rechargables..... Now price shopping..
Amazon has it for $200 and free 2-day shipping :deal:
Also, Amazon-branded SDHC cards are cheap (16gb/$11.50) and fast (Class10)

Back