• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Shoei RF-1000 Replacement Thread

jcyuhn

Reaction score
Is it a bad sign when you have to chase your helmet down the hallway to put it on? Perhaps it is time to consider replacing my well used RF-1000 lid.

Mototex's review of the AGV Horizon got me thinking. Many of us wear/wore the RF-1000. If so, with what did/will you replace it?

I understand the RF-1100 is shaped somewhat differently than the RF-1K, so not all of us will be able to just move along into it.

The only feature I find truly lacking in the RF-1000 is a fully removable/washable liner. I'm not going without that again. A little more venting would be nice, but I'm not willing to put up with a lot more noise to get it.

Your thoughts, feedback, questions, and comments are all appreciated.

I like my RF1000 but when the time came, I replaced it with Shoei Qwest. Happy with it so far and for me, it is a bit more comfortable than the 1K.

As for a non-removable liner, I've used a Texas Headskin for years (decades actually) and it serves two purposes.

1) It can be washed if the liner in the helmet cannot be.

2) It eliminates helmet-hair. The Texas Headskin holds the hair in place as you wiggle into the helmet. It makes for a great tool for those who commute to work and are interested in keeping the wild hair at bay.

The new helmet has a removable liner so I'm using the headskin less than before, but still find it useful and thought it worth mentioning.

As I recall, I found this little jewel in a vendor booth at a MC rally on the Prude Ranch in Fort Davis when I lived out there in the 80's. I had to finally replace it last year and was pleased to find it still available in a web search.

Well, it appears there are not as many distressed RF-1000 wearers out there as I expected...

Mototex, thanks for your feedback. I am familiar with using a headskin/helmet liner/bandana; I have a bunch of coolmax ones I wear under my bicycle helmet. I haven't been successful at making it a habit to wear one on the motorbike. That is partly because, uh, let's just say that helmet hair isn't really much of a concern for me...

Any suggestions on what other helmets I should look at besides Shoei and AGV?

Random aside, my wife went to Baylor with one of the Prude kids.

Doons - thanks for your input. I'll be sure to try on a Qwest.

Figured I would circle back on this thread. I decided to go with a Shoei GT-Air. It fits Shoei heads just great, has a removable liner, and is reportedly the quietest helmet out there even though the ventilation is also very good. It also has a built in tinted visor; we'll see how useful that becomes.

the Qwest is a very nice helmet, it fits even better than the GT. But after wearing a funky Rf-1K for too long, lack of a removable liner is now a show stopper for me.

The rf-11 seems to have gone more long oval, it doesn't fit me like the rf-1000 does. I could probably live with it, but Shoei seems to be targeting a broader range of head shapes with their newer helmets.

I had the 1000 and after crashing it replaced it with a 1100 and it fit me the same.
More ventilation but actually quieter as it does not whistle when you turn your head like the 1000 does.
The 1200 is on the market now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The 1200 seems to fit like the 1000, not like the 1100. I've liked my 1100, but the fit wasn't as good as the 1000. I'm super serious about looking at the 1200 now after trying one on at the bike show.

I thought by the way that the difference was very subtle. To me, the 1100 just wasn't quite the "normal" shoei shape. The 1200 was back to that shape, IMO.

I'm an RF-1000 wearer and my "main deal" on upgrading is a built-in smoke shield. I'm looking seriously at the GT-Air as well as the RPHA Max - never owned a "flip" helmet but friends that have em love em. Any feedback on the RPHA is also appreciated.

I'm an RF-1000 wearer and my "main deal" on upgrading is a built-in smoke shield. I'm looking seriously at the GT-Air as well as the RPHA Max - never owned a "flip" helmet but friends that have em love em. Any feedback on the RPHA is also appreciated.

I am liking the GT-Air. It vents much better than the RF-1000, and is quieter, and cuts more cleanly through the air. No more head bobbling in turbulent freeway traffic.

The drop down tinted shield is OK, but I don't find myself using it all that much. Around town I mostly wear sunglasses and ride with the clear visor open a couple of clicks. The drop down is handy if the sun is near the horizon and you just need some on-and-off protection from it.

I think the Shoei Neotec (sp?) is their modular and includes a built in tinted visor, same as the GT-Air. Didn't look at modular helmets, so can't offer any specific comments.

I think the Shoei Neotec (sp?) is their modular and includes a built in tinted visor, same as the GT-Air. Didn't look at modular helmets, so can't offer any specific comments.

Yes, the Neotec has the visor and I've tried it and although the shell seems a little large (typical of a modular flip vs. regular) I'm sure I would get used to it. It's a nice lid. The GT-Air is most definitely on my short list. Still want to try the GT-Air and RPHA Max back to back if possible.

Me too - I'm in for the Shoei shape. I wore 2 RF1000's and loved them. I like my current RF1100 just as much. The 1100's oval shape is only slightly longer, barely noticeable but it flows a lot more air that the 1000 - even with the vents closed. Another vast improvement in the 1100 over the earlier models is the reduction in wind resistance. The 1100 doesn't "catch the wind" at all when I turn my head side to side.

Otherwise, I have never found a modular that I liked - until I tried on the Neotec. "His name is Neo and he is The One."-Morpheus ;-)

I love Shoei helmets. I've owned an Rf900, TZR, Hornet, X12, and now an RF1200. The 1200 just came yesterday . I think so much of it that I would skip the idea of an 1100 totally. This lid is small for an xl, on the outside I mean. It cuts air the best I've ever seen . Head checks have no lift, buffet or noise, nothing! Riding an unfaired bike there is no effort to keep your head up in the wind. I became unaware of the helmet in a short time. A first for me. The 1100s are a great deal now, but most will have a build date two years old or more . I really like this lid.

Mike

Pictures!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,271
How do you decide when to replace your helmet?
Barring accident, drop, etc., does the age of the helmet matter? My Shoei Multi-Tec (2007, Modular Flip style) is in perfect condition but I've read here and there about replacing a helmet when it gets to 5 years or more.
What's the truth?

BTW, the Multi-Tec has been excellent. It is nice to flip-up the face and get some air while stopped at a traffic light during the Texas summer.

For me it is when it no longer fits snugly. (or, if I'm just tired of looking at all the scratches, when cost or unavailability of replacement shield compared to new helmet tips the balance, etc.)

I went backwards, I replaced my 1000 wiith a 900. The 900 is the comfier of the two. The 1000 did have a few years on it and a friend had a new 900 that just sat around like his new bike, so I took the helmet off his hands cheap.

I have my RF-1000 for four year now and I'm always wearing Schampa Stretch Bandana. So, liner on my RF-1000 is like a brand new.

Replaced my RF1000 today with a GT Air. Or at least demoted it to back up helmet. The GT is a bit quieter at highway speed, venting is better. Only snag so far and it's minor is that my speakers are behind speaker pads now making them require a bit more volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a Nolan N85 after having an RF-1000 for 5 or 6 years. I love the the ratcheting strap on the Nolan, and I'll never have another helmet without the flipdown sun visor. The Nolans all come with Pinloks, and I've had much less trouble with the cracked-open position on the shield of the Nolan than I did with the RF-1000. The Shoei definitely feels like a more expensive helmet but I can't think of a single drawback with the Nolan.

I got a Nolan N85 after having an RF-1000 for 5 or 6 years. I love the the ratcheting strap on the Nolan, and I'll never have another helmet without the flipdown sun visor. The Nolans all come with Pinloks, and I've had much less trouble with the cracked-open position on the shield of the Nolan than I did with the RF-1000. The Shoei definitely feels like a more expensive helmet but I can't think of a single drawback with the Nolan.

I thought the flip down in the Shoei was gimmicky at first glance, but after a short ride with it, it's a nice feature. I've never had a pin lock and this helmet came with it, so we'll see how that works out. A ratcheting strap would be nice. This strap has a snap for the extra length and it's in an odd spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back