• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rebecca "Squeaky" Nelson - Houston (SW Side)

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Reed
I can't even control my excitement - I GOT A BIKE!!!
:mrgreen:
After all these months of being envious of all of you, I am now an "official" Two-Wheeled Texan! (ok, I wasn't born in TX but I got here as fast as I could...)

I got an '03 Suzuki SV650S in Copper (puuuuurdy)
[links fixed by your friendly neighborhood admin :-P ]

Mine2.jpg

Mine3.jpg

I picked it up yesterday afternoon with the help of Chris "homermacleod" to get it home. Other than the MSF course, I hadn't ridden at all so I didn't think it would be wise to get right on the road. I rode it around the parking lot at the dealer first just so I could say I was the first to ride it.

After getting it back, I took it around the block a few times - I was VERY nervous, but all went well and I was eager to get out on the "real" roads. Unfortunately, I had to go to work so it sat the rest of the evening...

But only until I got out of work at 10. I couldn't resist - despite the dark and the fact that it was a Saturday night in Houston, I took her it out and showed it off to a few friends, then three of us went for a ride around town. Down Memorial Drive, and over to Starbucks for a fill-up (me, not the bike), not that I needed any more energy than was already flowing through my veins :eek: :eek: :eek:

This morning, it was up and at 'em bright and early (despite losing an hour with the time change) and down to Bob's in Rosenberg for the Sunday Morning Breakfast. Only three of us made it, but we're hoping for more next time.

After breakfast, we headed out to some simple country roads down off SH36. I don't know any of the names/numbers of the roads, but thanks to Paul's knowledge of the roads, (dont know his username, he's got a Ducati Monster) they were easy enough for a beginner without making me feel intimidated or like I was dragging everyone down to a slow speed. Chris and Paul were both aware that I was breaking in the bike and couldn't rev over 5k rpms, and they were very understanding. Thanks Paul and Chris! :chug:

We rode until about noon, then went our separate ways. I tried to take a nap to recouperate from all the lack of sleep, but the excitement of finally having a bike of my own didn't allow for many ZZZZZs. I headed out to different corners of town to show my friends my new toy, and although I didn't want to, I actually got on 610 near the Galleria! NOOOOO! It wasn't so bad, but I definately proved to myself I could be alert for stupid drivers making bad decisions on the road.

There, in a nutshell, is the first 24 hours of my biking life.

Congrats! I love that color, and, it's one of the best looking bikes out there now! I'm going to have to come to Houston, to see it in person sometime, and hit a Starbucks...those are few, and far between out here!
TR
Brady TX

Congrats, Rebecca!

You're braver than I, to get anywhere near the Galleria in your first 24 hours ;-)

Gorgeous bike, too...

Dead links for me :angryfir:

Now come ride with us.... said with swirly hypnotic snake eyes... :-P

Pics no work..

Thats awsome Rebecca! If I were to buy a new bike the SV would totaly be the one I would get. Congrats on your purchase, may you have many fun filled miles. Man I wish my bike was running, Im anxious to get out and ride.

Adam

No pictures for me either. I can't believe it, a group of people get together for breakfast and riding, within 10 miles of my house, and I am in Kemah at the time. Something is so wrong with that.

Hope you guys enjoyed the food. I hope to make it next time.

Congratulations on the bike. I know you are having fun, but PLEASE be careful. Don't get too confident.

Welcome to the addiction.

Chris, I think you were the one who set it up on HSN, weren't you?

I'll get the links and add them to this page - they are from my yahoo album

Howdy Squeaky,

First congrats!! Cannot wait to see the bike in person.

Second, Proficient Motorcycling - The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David Hough

I cannot recommend this book enough!! Get it read it, several times minimum. Think about what he says when you are riding. It will really do wonders for your confidence and riding skills. I preach this stuff when I am out riding.

Adios,

Scott - Looking forward to your next Newbie ride!!!
The MSF course is still very fresh in my head, and after 2k miles or so under my belt I'm going to take the Experienced Rider COurse.

I looked up the book - it looks good, I'll be getting a copy.

I've adjusted the images yet again. I guess yahoo only lets you share from your briefcase, not your photo album...

I just made sure to "share" the album I linked the pics from - can you guys see them now?

Nope. Just a broken link. :-(

Can you provide a link just to the album itself instead of to the individual images?

Adios,

Nice bike Rebecca (actually, one of my favorites), the excitement of the first bike..ahhh..sweet memories. what about the Galeria area??/ I ride thru there all the time, always in rush hour traffic, makes for pretty good sense of survival.. :roll: ....If you live/work close, maybe we can ride together after work, or on Thursdays we can go to a Bike Night down in Montgomery to meet all the gang.

Scott, nice avatar man, you couln't wait huh?

Bandito - I'm on the Southwest side /Alief. I work nights, so Thursday bike night isn't possible. I've been tempted to sneak out though...

Congrats on the SVS Rebecca, welcome to the cult. Check out svrider.com. Its agreat site for us SVer's, lots of info and good people.

Enjoy (like there was any real doubt) and be safe

Squeaky said:
Chris, I think you were the one who set it up on HSN, weren't you?

I'll get the links and add them to this page - they are from my yahoo album

I didn't set it up, I just made a suggestion about where to eat in Rosenberg besides Texas Grill. Like I said in my post, I haven't eaten at the Texas Grill in over 20 years. There is a REASON I quit going there. I'll tell you next time I see you.

Nice choice, Rebecca! 8-)

That's a bike that you can be happy with for a long, long time. Now, what pipe are you going to put on it? Gotta let that V-twin rumble, ya know. ;-)

Stay safe!

So am I the only one that cannot see her pics?

Anyone want to host two pics for me so Scott can quit whining?

hehehe

Paul - Don't know about an upgrade on the exhaust just yet. If I'm going to spend the money on anything right away, it'll be gear.

Squeaky said:
Anyone want to host two pics for me so Scott can quit whining?

hehehe

Email them too me ;-)

Paul - Don't know about an upgrade on the exhaust just yet. If I'm going to spend the money on anything right away, it'll be gear.

Excellent!! And After you get good gear (including a decent rainsuit if your gear is not waterproof, spend the money on suspension before the exhaust. You won't sound as cool or win big poser points, but the bike will handle sooo much better and you'll have much more confidence in the bike's handling and what it can do. The pipe just makes more noise, it won't make you go faster in the twisties ;-) Then if you still have money to burn, buy a pipe. You won't regret it :mrgreen:

Adios,

Great advice as always, Scott.

I just tucked her into bed - since I don't have a disc lock yet I rolled her inside the gate rather than leave her under the carport (I live in a townhouse), but since the rain is coming I threw a tarp over her and secured it.

:tab Hmm... you know what might be a prudent first accessory? Frame sliders!! Extra long ones. Just in case you have a parking lot tip over or something. That way you will be much less likely to scratch up that nice fairing. Talk to Patrick or Susie at Motorcycles Unlimited, they can fix you up nicely. Sorry, not trying to be negative, just trying to get you some cheap insurance ;-)

:tab So how does the bike fit you? Reach to the ground and bars okay? Seat comfy? Clutch feel good? You could ride up here Saturday and hang out with us. By the time you get back home, you'll be quite close to your 600 miles ;-)

Adios,

Way to go Rebecca!

Excellent bike in a killer color. Welcome to the rest of your life! Be safe out there and forget trying to get rid of that perpetual grin you'll have ;-)

I love that bike and that color. I REALLY want an SV 1000 (and a GS and a....well you get the idea). Practice up and then come ride with us in the Hill Country, there is no finer time to be had so close to home.

Back