• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

piano bridge

No, but thanks for the heads-up. That's worth checking out next time I'm out riding in that area.

scratch said:
No, but thanks for the heads-up. That's worth checking out next time I'm out riding in that area.

"post up a ride time/meeting place...they will come..." ;-) :thumb: :rider:

It's been about 2 years, but I rode over it then. I did it as part of the "Painted Churches" tour. I've not heard anything about it being inaccessible since then.

I rode over it just a few months ago. It's right down the road from one of the painted churches.

You better hurry I took a good look at the deck as we crossed it , not looking good . SEYA

I took a ride out to see the Painted Churches today with Squeaky and Cagiva549. This bridge has a new wood deck and was a very easy crossing for motorcyclists. I don't want to think about taking my truck on it.

HPIM1081s.jpg

HPIM1075s.jpg

that looks like the bridge that was in the movie second hand lions.

The bridge when Walter jumps out of the car near the end?

From what I remember the movie was filmed near Austin. It would be fun to find the bridge that they used.

The film crew supposedly shut down I35 for several hours to film the airplane flight under the bridge...

That is a cool bridge...

Watch the special features on the DVD and you'll see it was filmed in and all around Austin, Bastrop, Lockhart, etc.

There are several bridges similar to that in the area , most have metal decks .the Dubina piano bridge is supposdly the oldest one in the state . It got a new deck in late summer 2006 , last time I crossed it on the old deck there were several places you could see water . SEYA

The Dubina piano bridge is supposedly the oldest one in the state.

Oldest Pratt truss? The Pratt truss Alton bridge south of Denton, also built by King Bridge, is a year older (1884). There may well be other older Texas Pratts. And of course the Waco Suspension bridge began carrying traffic in 1870 and - not a road bridge but - San Antonio's Espada Aqueduct was completed in 1745!

Tom

Re: Second Hand Lion, the old house used in the movie is on Melbur Lane northeast of Pflugerville. The house had belonged to one of the long time farming families (Melbur) in the area. The only son, Clarence, still owns the farm and now lives just down the road. When his mother died, he eventually sold the house and a few acres but still farms the land around it. The house was also used in the movie "A Perfect World" with Kevin Costner and Clint Eastwood. Prior to that it was also used in one of the old John Wayne movies.

Melbur Lane runs off of the Cele Road, not far from the Cele Store (think BBQ)

From what I remember the movie was filmed near Austin. It would be fun to find the bridge that they used.

The film crew supposedly shut down I35 for several hours to film the airplane flight under the bridge...

That is a cool bridge...

that flight scene was the hwy 183 bridge crossing over hwy 21 between austin and lockhart neat mustang ridge. several miles from I35

That is a cool bridge...

I don't think you'll be flying an airplane under that bridge. :eek2: :rider:

Yeah, that was confusing - they flew the airplane under an underpass on I35, I think.

I always though about flying my plane under the Lake Fork bridge before it was filled with water, more than enough room then. but I didn't.:giveup:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/szrider/IMG_0056.jpg Here is the store/gas station where they found the boy looking at his map after running away and also where they filmed the fight scene with the teenagers inside, the pumps were put in for the movie and then removed, the pavement was also covered with leaves, notice the wood bay door on the right is half black and just to the left of it, it looks like an H on the wall, both of these features can be seen in the movie. SZ

Back