• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Messed up my vacation

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
I've been planning a vacation to Colorado, Wyoming and Montana for the last several months. The Going to the Sun highway in Glacier National Park is closed due to fires. The main destination was Glacier. Oh well, Yellowstone is nice. The extra time will give me time to explore the museums in Cody Wy. Leaving shortly. See you guys in 3 weeks.

We had the same problem last month. Stayed in Missoula for a week, but smoke never really cleared. SR12 west from Missoula (except for road work) into Idaho is pretty spectacular toot though).

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Hope you have a blast in spite of the bits you can't do.
Enjoy the ride.

Hate to throw a wrench into the works, but if you are a firearms aficionado the Cody museum is undergoing some renovation and the firearms museum is gutted till next year. They spread some of the guns among the other exhibits, but the mass of the items are in storage.

Center Of The West, Public Relations Manager at Buffalo Bill Center of the West, responded yesterday...

"The Cody Firearms Museum is currently reloading and will host its reopening next summer. In the meantime, besides the online collection, you can also view some of the Winchester Collection and the Hollywood guns in the Buffalo Bill Museum section of the Center, as well as other firearms throughout the other 3 museums enriching the stories of both those firearms and the stories they played a critical part in. We hope to see you at next year's grand reopening!"

I saw enough guns during my 4 years as a Marine although I was planning to see that museum.

I hope you have time to go over the Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Back when Charles Kuralt was doing travelogues, he rated it the number 1 scenic road in the US and I would concur. It usually closes in Mid October though. I've down that ride and Yellowstone probably 4 times on the bike but never this late in the year. Good riding to you.
Rick

Hate to throw a wrench into the works, but if you are a firearms aficionado the Cody museum is undergoing some renovation and the firearms museum is gutted till next year. They spread some of the guns among the other exhibits, but the mass of the items are in storage.

Center Of The West, Public Relations Manager at Buffalo Bill Center of the West, responded yesterday...

"The Cody Firearms Museum is currently reloading and will host its reopening next summer. In the meantime, besides the online collection, you can also view some of the Winchester Collection and the Hollywood guns in the Buffalo Bill Museum section of the Center, as well as other firearms throughout the other 3 museums enriching the stories of both those firearms and the stories they played a critical part in. We hope to see you at next year's grand reopening!"

Thanks for the tip. We were planning on going up there in a few weeks but might wait until next year.

Yeah, I dont feel bad for you. Less complaining, more trip reporting and pictures:rider:

Sorry your plans had to change. As much as that sucks, I'm guessing the people dealing with the fire and the businesses you would have spent money at are affected a lot more than you so I'm sure they'd have loved to have you come. Just not a good situation all around, but it is what it is.

Regardless, you should still have a good trip. I agree with others that Chief Joseph and Beartooth are not to be missed. I'd also throw Lolo pass into that mix if you can get to it. (between Missoula, MT and Lewiston, ID)

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Humanrace....Jay and I left Houston this morning heading north to Glacier. We are in Clovis NM tonight heading to Durango, CO tomorrow.

We are extremely disappointed with the closure of the west half of Going to the Sun Road, but the east half is still open from St. Mary to Logan's Pass. We will ride from Kalispell around the south side of Glacier on US 2 to St. Mary. Stay at the KOA there. Ride up to Waterton NP Canada before heading to Yellowstone for 3 days.

Enjoy your ride! Stay safe!

Montana 200 is a very nice road, at least it was 30 years ago when I rode it on bicycle.
T_Aq7Zn60_MpKVlkVp15fh-zEUnVThbaHbxzuuTX6RQlRNyM8El6fQoBmJAPVDXTiLc4nv0r8XvEZzqGWWA=w948-h631-no.jpg

hILMWr6v5m9IHLo4pe60WfC7skRnIoH5oVPwPgju40HnsxdVFINDild3lvxcFHHNMTAabDxQ8p5FxRyHPQ=w1138-h631-no.jpg

Last edited:
Back on Wednesday from Great Falls visiting my college roommate. We went to Glacier and the Sun highway is open up to the pass. Fire is still burning, but they appear to be getting a handle on it. Highway 89 has a lot of major construction including a stretch down to mushy gravel. Beautiful area. Someday I would love to ride a bike up there. Going south to Sulfur Hot Springs was also fantastic. It is getting into fall, and yeah we got spit on by some light snow. Love me some Montana. Great brew pubs too.

Back