• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

And Just Like That...

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a new chain and sprockets. I was removing Mr. Rear Wheel to replace the tire. A remarkably simple task on the FZ1. And, since it is me, there is always a catch. So, when I too off the chain, I noticed I was missing some sprocket teeth. Probably not good. Anyway, it has a 520 conversion, with an aluminum rear and it seems to be past it's use by date. So, no harm done, I found it before it did anything bad. If I had lubed the chain I might have seen it as well. With all the rain, I haven't been doing much bike stuff. Anyway for your viewing pleasure, here are some pics. While you view them think to yourself, does that sprocket really need to be changed?:rofl::rofl:

20180907_1201171.jpg

Yep, there should be more teeth there I am afraid...

20180907_1201331.jpg

I have chipped, scraped and dissolved about 1.5 pounds of goo. I would say I am 2/3 of the way through it. There is no way to leave the shifter rod assembled and get to this point. Whew!

20180907_1307181.jpg

Happily mounting the new tire went very well and I even installed a trick little aluminum valve stem.

20180907_1307061.jpg

I got some more parts to play with today. I am going to go back to stock signals and tail lights for her, and an electronic flasher. Seems to be more visible that way. I am loving the bike, but like always, old bikes need love, this one is getting it.:rider::rider:

Mods and farkles are very personal. Gotta do it your way.

Trying to recall way back. I know the FZ1 uses a special rear wheel so you can't use R1 wheels, but.....

Anybody know if the 1st gen rear wheel is swapable with the 2nd gen rear wheel?

Flip the sprocket around, the still got life!

Seriously though, good think you got another one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lol....I think they got their money's worth out of that last one.

If you aren't going for high performance, go with a 530 chain and steel sprockets and it will last you 20K miles

But....520 conversion definitely higher performing (assuming you change it often enough to keep teeth on the sprockets)

Last edited:
520 chain means you have to get out the tools and tinker more often. Doug does NOT want that!

I don't recall the last time I saw a sprocket that worn! lol
That's awesome!!!

I don't recall the last time I saw a sprocket that worn! lol
That's awesome!!!

Oh goodness. I remember a time at RRMP that a guy with a quad had his chain come off. When I went to help him there were less than ten good teeth on that sprocket. We helped him get it on and then told him to go load up and take it home and get it fixed. He went back to jumping in the sand again and two minutes later he was trying to flag us down to help him get the chain on again. We rode off.

That's officially the most wasted sprocket I've seen on a street bike. Aluminum and the 520 saves not enough weight to warrant the extra work to me, that puppy was one good 2nd gear pull away from disaster.

Simple green eats grunge, known to etch metal if left too long but it works.

Hahaaa - I can relate. Once let s sprocket on my KLR go too long it actually spun the chain.

Thankfully I was close to home.

Trying to recall way back. I know the FZ1 uses a special rear wheel so you can't use R1 wheels, but.....

Anybody know if the 1st gen rear wheel is swapable with the 2nd gen rear wheel?

Just got confirmation, nope. Sorry Doug, thought I had a nice gift for you.

So, I knew I had some pictures of a worse off sprocket. I went hunting for them and thought I would share. A kid my daughter went to school with had a Katana 600. He said the chain was a "little worn" and making noise. He had new chain and sprockets so Diana told him to come by and we would change it for him. OMG the chain had rollers that were worn out and the stock STEEL sprockets were almost gone as well. He was lucky nothing happened to it. Also his rear pads were beyond the brake material and into the backing plate. When he left his motorcycle was safe. I was scared for him riding it like that. Luckily I got him to buy Sunstar steel sprockets and a good o-ring chain. Notice the trashed chain is also an o-ring. Proving, you still need to clean and lube to make it survive. I think once the sprockets wore down they "jack hammered" the chain and ripped up the rollers.

P1150025.jpg

P1150027.jpg

P1150028.jpg

P1150029.jpg

P1150034.jpg

P1150038.jpg

P1150039.jpg

P1150046.jpg

P1150050.jpg

P1150051.jpg

P1150053.jpg

P1150056.jpg

P1150057.jpg

You could file off every other tooth. Voila, tricked out for racing. :trust:

Hey buddy ... I have a NIB 520 o-ring chain I purchased for mini me.

Yours if you need it to get back rolling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey buddy ... I have a NIB 520 o-ring chain I purchased for mini me.

Yours if you need it to get back rolling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Mitch, but I ordered one. This will give me some time to do some other cleaning and tweaking on the bike. Should be fun.

Is that rust all over the counter shaft sprocket area? Literally pieces of the disintegrating chain?

FYI we had no idea the sprocket was in that Condition.

TJ, to his credit, had an inquiry from a guy in the woodlands, the guy was going to trailer up for the bike, Tj found out the guy was 6’3” and advised him he wouldn’t be comfortable on the bike, hence we lost the sale which he was fine with.
Just backing up his character for selling bikes.

Last edited:
I would not in any way blame you or TJ. This is just a wear item and I found it before it became an issue. I was looking at pics, I think we could have seen it if we looked close. But I had and you had no reason whatsoever to question it. I posted it just cause I had never seen what a liter bike could do to an aluminum sprocket.
I feel vindicated that I always buy the "heavy" steel ones. I bought a Vortex, same gearing so it will be good.
As to the sprocket area. If you have ever taken the cover off of the sprocket, you will understand why not many folks would. There was a lot of shifter disassembly associated with it and it was fairly difficult to wrangle out of there. But it had a good bit of goo from years of chain lube like you expect on a bike that the chain was lubed fairly regularly.
I think the rust is from the sprocket and the washer. The front steel sprocket was also pretty worn, but there was rust. The seals look new, and I am about halfway there with the cleaning. I hope to have parts this week so I can have her ready for the weekend ride to eat. If not, I will have to ride a DR-Z. So, I am hoping for fast shipping this time.

Summary, still love the FZ, the bike was in great shape, I am very happy with it, Mary and TJ are great to buy bikes from. So lets go ride. If I wasn't working I would be at it right now I believe.

Back