• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Three Twisted Sisters 6/21-22

phm14

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Last Name
McCann
Hey Guys,
Short notice, but I'm hauling my FJ up to Kerrville from NE Houston Tuesday morning, headed back Friday. Booked a room at the Kerrville Super 8 yesterday-3 days for $175, with breakfast, wi-fi and good ratings thrown in. Hoping traffic will be low mid week. I'm planning to keep speeds under the ride to jail zone (1st timer, as well), and take some time for pics, etc. Feel free to join if you like. Any tips would be much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Man, I wish I could, but have a doctors appointment on the 21st. But, I have been many times. I don't know if you have a route planned yet or not, but attached is a Garmin (2018.2 and tracks) and a GPX that is the one I use and give to anyone who is interested in something tried and true.

mipwvwjuKTFzI7kOfTBUfVoGpXnkvrYaCVPGXB-xcIQLO4NSpqspaEETijbTs7fx-32CQy3hn4hbLE76gOQ=w987-h595-no.jpg

In addition to the obvious sisters (335, 336 and 337), I highly recommend the Medina Highway (hwy 16) and the River Road (Hwy 39) back into Kerrville. Along the way, there are restaurants such as OST for breakfast, Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia, Bent Rim in Leaky and the Hunt Store. Also, plan to stop in to the Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool, if it's open. He has an amazing collection of motorcycles there.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding gasoline, probably the longest "dry" section will be the one around from Camp Wood back to Leakey. I always fill up in Camp Wood, it is just a convenient place for me and there are often other bikers. To chit chat with.

Finally, after the ride, if you like to have an adult beverage there are couple places in Kerrville. The Grape Juice not only serves wine but has a VERY good selection of beer. Oh yeah, sit at the bar, you can have some interesting conversations with the staff and clientele there. And the food there has been very good as well. The Pint and Plow brewery makes their own stuff and I do like that although the food isn't as good as the Grape Juice. But both are good places.

Good luck and enjoy.

Attachments

• The Three Sisters.gdb
    149.7 KB · Views: 214
  • The Three Sisters.gpx
    575.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
watch for deer, not live ones, dead ones cause there are usually buzzards in flocks that take off directly over the road at the last minute.

Thanks for the files, Joe! Always cool to get the lowdown from a regular. :)

Viffer, thanks for the reminder. I haven't nailed a buzzard yet, but I'm sure that could wreck your whole day, especially from the smell they can put off from 25+ yards. I'll make sure I can find my horn in a hurry...and cover that brake.

Thanks for the files, Joe! Always cool to get the lowdown from a regular. :)

Viffer, thanks for the reminder. I haven't nailed a buzzard yet, but I'm sure that could wreck your whole day, especially from the smell they can put off from 25+ yards. I'll make sure I can find my horn in a hurry...and cover that brake.
just scan far ahead if you see a moving mass of black SLOOOW down. I ran into two instances today.

...on the list. :eat: Thanks, I will:rider:

PHM,
Enjoy, and stay hydrated!
It is a great ride and don't forget to get the three sisters shirt!
Regards,
Ratelbadger aka Stephan L

Going to have to crank up the preload with all that pie. :D

GPS files saved for another day for me.

Going to have to crank up the preload with all that pie. :D

GPS files saved for another day for me.

Luck the last time my daughter was driving,but the side I was on was leaning a tad.:lol2:

I had chocolate pie and my daughter had the buttermilk which she said was the best she ever tasted.

Just got back to the campground from riding the 3 sisters. Didn't see any black bird action along the way but did see a dead fawn on the side of 335. Only had 2 vehicles going my direction the whole way and were easy to get around safely. It is very warm and I wish I had my camelback with me. Stopped in Leakey on the way back and sucked down a quart of Gatorade in 2 drinks.

Has she been to the Oark General Store? I need to know the exact level of buttermilk pie we are talking about here.

I don't think so. The closest she got was Crater of the Diamonds state park trying to strike it rich. She liked it so much she got upset that she did not get a slice to go.

I don't think so. The closest she got was Crater of the Diamonds state park trying to strike it rich. She liked it so much she got upset that she did not get a slice to go.
Then I have a destination suggestion for her. Purely for scientific reasons of course. :rofl: If she likes buttermilk pie, then theirs is worth trying for sure.

phm, hey if you want company, gimme a call 210-213-3118. i ride the hill country couple times a month year round. we could meet at the Apple store in Medina 9:00ish. that would be on Hwy 16 south of Kerrville about 15 miles.

In case you hadn't noticed, the Apple Store is a way point in the GPS files above. I always try to do the OST for breakfast, so it makes lunch timing at the Apple Store a little difficult for me. But, sometimes I forgo OST and circle the opposite way and end up at the Apple Store for lunch. But honestly, my favorite thing to do is to buy a steak at Leakey Mercantile (the butcher shop is all the way in the back and he has had some awesome steaks). Get all the fixin's and grill it up over a charcoal grill. A nice beer or some good wine. Ummm doggies. I'm makin' myself hungry...

phm, hey if you want company, gimme a call 210-213-3118. i ride the hill country couple times a month year round. we could meet at the Apple store in Medina 9:00ish. that would be on Hwy 16 south of Kerrville about 15 miles.

That should work. You up for a call now?

Wow, Guys, thanks so much for all the help. Got into Kerrville in time to get on the FJ09 ~4pm. Did 16 to 337, round the Sisters, back on River road in time to devour some tex mex before dark. Those sisters sure are some naughty wenches...my face hurts from grinning all day:rider:Can't believe I've lived in Texas my whole life, and haven't driven these awesome roads before today. Really enjoying this bike on the steep twisties. Looking forward to spanking those girls again tomorrow, with more time to stop & smell the roses. Did stop and find a nice river access on River Road...perfect for a post ride cool down. If you guys are out & about, I'm on a white bike with a white lid.

Last edited:
Back