• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sold - For Sale: 2006 Honda XR650L

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
7/7/2017 Update: The bike is sold. Thanks to all who inquired about it.

The time has come to part ways with my beloved XR650L.

P6250001-XL.jpg

2006 Honda XR 650L, about 29,600 miles (will change as I still ride the bike), $4000 or OBO. Located in Austin.

I got the bike about 3 years ago, with 20,285 miles on the odometer. The previous owners had used the bike mostly for commuting - it was very clean and did not appear to have seen any dirt riding.

Since I've had it I've made significant modifications and improvements. Here the list of mods:
- new cylinder, piston, rings, bearings, head, cam, rocker arms, and valves
- Carburetor professionally jetted using a dynometer
- 2nd and 5th gear mods (lower 2nd gear, higher 5th gear)
- new Fritzcoinc countershaft sprocket
- Seat Concepts seat
- lowered 1 inch and shortened side stand
- Reinforced subframe
- Happy Trails side luggage rack
- Nomadic rear rack
- Upgraded rear spring to 12 kg
- Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank
- Stainless steel braided front brake line
- New wheel bearings
- Pro Taper CR High fat bars
- 2 inch bar risers
- Oil cooler
- Wider footpegs
- New 3" longer clutch cable
- New battery at 27,300 miles
- Supertrap exhaust
- aluminum skid plate
- Western powersports tail light

The bottom line with this bike is that while the odometer shows 29,000 miles the major components of the motor and head are all new. The transmission has been significantly improved with the 2nd and 5th gear mods. The Seat Concepts seat is a big improvement over the stock seat. Luggage racks mean all you need to do is throw your bags on it and go.

If you are interested, you can contact me here on TWT or call me at 512-203-6143.

Rich

Nomadic rear rack

P4080001-XL.jpg

Seat Concepts seat versus stock seat

P8020044-L.jpg

Fat bars with Moose bar risers
P6250005-XL.jpg

Supertrapp exhaust
_MG_0466-XL.jpg

Oil Cooler (during installing in this picture)
_MG_0027-XL.jpg

Wider foot pegs
_MG_0043-XL.jpg

FRITZCOINC front sprocket
P4080009-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Re: For Sale: 2006 Honda XR650L

You have a KTM 500 right ? Seems like you need a KTM 1090 .
Nice bike for someone. GLWS.

Who did the 2nd and 5th gear mod? I've got the gears but never installed them. Wonder how you liked the mod?

Erik Marquez did the gears when he replaced the countershaft. I like the mods, especially the change to 2nd gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need a 690? Maybe you need that INSTEAD OF the 500... :trust:

You need a 690? Maybe you need that INSTEAD OF the 500... :trust:

Yeah, I'd be curious if you're going to keep the 500 & 690.

BTW, you XR650L is killer. The gear ratio change addresses the only annoying thing I didn't care for about that bike. Good luck.

So what is different about it now Rich? Nice bike.

The top rack and tail light have been upgraded.

I installed a Nomadic top rack and a Western Power Sports rear tail light. You can see both in this pic.
P4080001-XL.jpg

Bump for the well built bike that inspired me to build my own XR650l.
Awesome machine!

Maybe if Dirty Harry had had that 2nd gear mod, I would have kept him around longer...(thinks of the 690 waiting in the shed)--NAH!

GLWS!

Hey Riders,

Somebody out there wants, no, NEEDS, an adventure ready XR650L. :)

How about a price drop to add a little more motivation to that need.

$3700

The top rack and tail light have been upgraded.

I installed a Nomadic top rack and a Western Power Sports rear tail light. You can see both in this pic.

Gotta love a guy who puts his bike up for sale and continues to dump money into upgrades. :rofl:

Gotta love a guy who puts his bike up for sale and continues to dump money into upgrades. :rofl:

I don't want anyone mislead so I need to point out that, no, I have not made any upgrades to the bike since posting it for sale.

The pictures originally posted with the ad did not show the most recent upgrades so I listed the bike as "this is very close to how it looks today". After posting the ad I was asked by an interested person for an up-to-date photo of the bike showing the all the current upgrades.

I apologize for any miscommunication.

Last edited:

A bump for a bike where EVERY single issue or complaint a person can have has been addressed, the RIGHT way. The oil cooler, 2/5 gear mods, fritzco sprockets, everything. It's all there.

Thanks for the bump Thrill-Billy. :sun:

Price lowered to $3200.

If you are interested in a XR650L, I'd made significant improvements to this one - all you need to do is gas it up and go.

Holy Smoke, I just can't believe this bike hasn't been snapped up?! I almost want to buy it because it's such a good deal and I don't even need it.

Anyone looking into getting into the dual-sport world should buy this ideal bike. If you like the sport, keep it, If you don't, just sell it for what you paid, no harm no foul.

Holy Smoke, I just can't believe this bike hasn't been snapped up?! I almost want to buy it because it's such a good deal and I don't even need it.

Anyone looking into getting into the dual-sport world should buy this ideal bike. If you like the sport, keep it, If you don't, just sell it for what you paid, no harm no foul.

Totally agree! This mod:

- 2nd and 5th gear mods (lower 2nd gear, higher 5th gear)

..is a serious pain to implement, but a HUGE improvement. Oh, then don't forget:

- new cylinder, piston, rings, bearings, head, cam, rocker arms, and valves

If I had a little more time on my hands, I'd sell my XR and buy this one.

Thanks for the fine comments guys. Someday somebody looking for a XRL is going to spot this gem.

I would say the stock gearing was my #1 area of discontent with that bike. Apparently that's most peoples complaint as well. Have the gear ratios changed is a HUGE improvement.

The bike is sold. :)

About time someone saw the light. Congrats

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

happy for you rich, I told 2 guys down here about it since we got back, but they didn't jump on it like I told them too, their mistake. if I didn't already have my klx I would've bought it from ya.

Back