• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stator Recall Results--2012 & 2014 DL650

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
Jay and I had both our Wee's stator recalls performed by Stubb's Suzuki last Friday. We picked them up yesterday afternoon. There is a definite difference in the way the bikes run (ride). They seem to run smoother and peppier than before the stator was replaced.

I know they changed the oil and used non-synthetic oil, but I wouldn't think that that would make a noticeable difference in the way the bikes performed. If that is the reason we might not go back to full synthetic.

Has anyone else that has had the stator recall performed on their DL650 noticed a performance difference after they picked the bike up?

sorry Doc, but it is going to be in your head.
the only way there would be a change in performance is if they did something else.
a switch to organic oil would only be a improvement if the synthetic was really bad oil, you actually can expect lower oil temperatures and a bit less coolant temps running synthetic oil.

the stator recall was due to a manufacturing error that was causing a high rate of stator failures, when they fail the bike stops charging quickly followed by a dead bike.

now if they put in a stator with a much lower output there would be a lower resistance in the magnetic field and less power required, but the difference would be very small.

They put there bike oil I mine, I changed it the next week. They didn't even change filter. I should have taken my on oil when they did the work. My DL always shifts better the first few hundred after oil change.
Hey DR the bag worked out great, thanks.

I figured it was all mental....and I'm mental about stuff sometimes.

I know the syn vs org oil argument.....but it was just a strange feeling to get on the bike and it seemed to run totally different and more power. Going to take it to Motorcycles Unlimited next week to have the pre-vacation check-up and oil change back to synthetic.

Glad the bag worked out for you. It really needed a new home.

Now we're searching for new bags for the bikes for the vacation. Looking at the Hepco & Becker magnetic connector type vs mechanical like SWMotech and Givi.

I have two safety recalls on my 2014 650 pending...
I'm wanting to wait until mine reaches 15k miles before I proceed.
is it safe to say that these factory recalls don't have an expiration on time and mileage?

I have two safety recalls on my 2014 650 pending...
I'm wanting to wait until mine reaches 15k miles before I proceed.
is it safe to say that these factory recalls don't have an expiration on time and mileage?

To my knowledge they don't have an expiration date but i know one of your recalls is a stator, it it may have a expiration date on it. Murphy law state that something will happen when you 80 miles from anywhere on a road that has a car pass once every hour and its 100 degrees out and no cell service. I would make appointment and go get them taken care of.

My two cents worth
Aaron

I've never heard of a recall with an expiration date. No worries there. I can't see any advantage, though, to waiting.

Odd for a recall not to have a expiration date or mileage.

Not really; recall items don't get less dangerous with age, and there's essentially no limit on when you can sue a manufacturer. I've bought used cars and then gotten pelted with recall notices from 2 years earlier.

Back