• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Semi-permanent SHNF thread

jqueen

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
This thread is dedicated to rides in Sam Houston National Forest. Pop in here to see if anybody is planning on riding in the near future, or to ask if somebody wants to go with you.

For those that don't know, a short description of SHNF:

The multi use trails at Sam Houston National Forest are open to motorcycles and atv's. They are heavily wooded, and while the trails are wide enough that a 4-wheeler will fit, they are still fairly technical, with lots of whoops and sand. If there has been some rain, then the traction is much improved, and the mud is not too slick. If you are a beginner, you will find it difficult to carry much speed - the trails are also much easier on a smaller trail bike. If it rains too much, they will be closed. You should always call before you haul, the number is (936) 344 6205.

Requirements to Ride:
  • Helmet and eye protection is required.
  • You must have an $16.00 sticker for your bike, it's good from August to August, and is required for most government owned riding areas. Get the sticker at Cycle Shack North in Conroe, or check with other motorcycle/atv dealers near Conroe/New Waverly. They do not have the stickers at the park proper :brainsnap
  • In addition to the sticker, each rider must pay a $5 fee in a dropbox or have an annual pass for OHV access to the trails So the first time will run you $23 (per rider), but for the rest of the year it's $5 per day (per rider). Or you can pay for the $25 annual pass, making your first time $48, and the rest of the year is free!
  • Your bike must have a spark arrestor.
  • You do not need a license plate, but it can be convenient, as there are some park roads that will let you shortcut back to your vehicle, but they are roads and so require plates.

There are two separate sections of trail, the east side and the west side. Both sides have multiple trails, so it is not quite right to call them "loops". There are about 40 miles of trail on each side, and it is very easy to get so far away from the trailhead that it would take a LONG time to get back, so please try to ride with a friend. The east side only has one parking spot, and seems to be less popular. I don't know if it is more/less technical, or if it is just because the trailhead/parking spot is farther from the road and takes a while to get to. The west side has multiple trailheads/parking spots. One of the popular ones is Kelly's Pond.

Directions to trailheads:
(All directions start from New Waverly, Texas):

East Side Trailhead (233)
: From I-45 follow FM 1375 west for 4 miles, turn north onto FS Road 233 and follow 2.5 miles.

West Side Trailhead (208)
: Follow FM 1375 west approximately 10 miles, turn north onto FS Road 208, continue 1.4 miles to trailhead.

Kelly Pond Trailhead
: From I-45 follow FM 1375 west approximately 10 miles, turn south on FS Road 204 for 1 mile, and turn west on FS Road 271 for 1.5 miles.

Northwest Trailhead: From I-45 follow FM 1375 west approximately 14 miles, turn right onto FM 149 and follow approximately 1.5 miles, turn north onto FM 1791, and follow 4 miles to intersection with FS Road 208 to trailhead.

Trail Maps:Maps should be available at the national forest website.

Also, these should be relatively current maps including trail names (updated 10-28-2014):

View attachment 32307

View attachment 32308

GPS files are available at Everytrail.com. Search for SHNF and you should see two uploads from jqueen.

See you there!

Last edited:
So - trails are still open as of Friday 12/16. I know the forecast was for lots of rain, but I haven't seen any in Sugar Land - anybody know if New Waverly is expecting a lot of water tonight/tomorrow?

I pretty much gave up on a Saturday ride due to the forecast, but now it looks like the forecast was wrong, so as long as they're open Saturday morning, I'm up for it!

Edit to add.. broke my own suggestion - of course I mean Saturday the 17th (tomorrow).

Great idea. I'm planning on "getting sick" some time after the new year and riding out there.

So the trails are open today and only slight chances of rain the rest of the day and tomorrow. Who wants to ride tomorrow? (Sat the 17th)

I am up for it if the Zars ride falls through. I won't find out until late tonight or early tomorrow which direction I am going though.

So the trails are open today and only slight chances of rain the rest of the day and tomorrow. Who wants to ride tomorrow? (Sat the 17th)

I'm in, if the forrest is open 12/17. Kelly's Pond, say 9ish?

It's about 2 hours for me as well, but I prefer to get there early so I don't anger the wife and kids by being gone through dinner! One or two more and we'll have the perfect size group!

You guys are killing me :lol2: we're going out of town to visit family for Christmas

The call # is 936 344 6205. Option # 2, but you have to let the recording run for a few secs before it lets you push the #.

first post updated with general information, directions to all trailheads, link to national forest site for maps, and instructions for finding GPS tracks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...c=6&gl=us&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=9&via=1

When you get to 45, you could go south to the Gladstell exit for an OHV sticker at Cycle Shack. Also if you can't make the 9ish start time, just post up appx time you'll be there and we could try to be back at the trail-head to meet up.
Remember, call first to be sure the trails are still open.

I got a sticker at Cowboy Honda in Beaumont. There is a link on the forest service website. Ill call before i load up which will roughly be 6 :30 am.

I'm not going to make it this time. Looks like Zars didn't get much rain so I am heading to Floresville tomorrow morning. I hope to catch SHNF in the next 2 weeks.

just more FYI on SHNF. the sticker is $10 up from $8 last year. i've rarely seen the tree cops except on the weekends but you do have to have a spark arrestor installed. its is a fine if they catch you without one. watch your speed on roads in the area as well and pay attention, the locals think they are the duke boys and fly around blind corners. that goes for road crossings on the trails as well. i almost lost my front wheel and i was stopped waiting for the idiot to go by at around 70, he almost clipped me. it also pays dividends to be a trail steward, stay on trail, pack it out and try not to rut out every mud hole. if you want to be super awesome take a chainsaw with ya and cut out all the trees across the trails. :clap:

It's $16 for the sticker, they doubled in price. And stay off the roads unless you have a plate

If I don't get paged for work, I will try to be at Kelly's Pond 9ish.

Sticker was $16. I just bought one at Cycle Shack a few weeks ago. They are good August through August. So if you buy one in July, it is still $16 and still only good until August... :doh:

my bad, i'm a little slow, silver bullet picked a bunch up for our riding group and i bought 4, i don't remember what i paid him but it seems like a lot now. :lol2: oh and if you find one on the west side trails, its mine. it fell off of my klx a couple of weeks ago. :trust:

Back