TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 AM   #21
Shadman

Re: 12 days, 3125mi, thru NM, AZ, and CO

I was at overland too. Met the fellow in the sidecar with his pup. Nice guy, friends of Ara and Spirit, who he called his inspiration.

Tons of cool stuff to see and do at overland. I basically wandered, sorta buzzed on a friend's whiskey, enjoying the overload of everything overland.

If you go next year give me a shout. I'm in Phoenix.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #22
Texas T
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
I'm in Phoenix.
Howdy, neighbor.

* Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * IBA Atomic 1000 SS1K Founding riders * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012 * 2002 Goldwing

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." - Saint Augustine
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #23
jwaller

And I was feeling all sorry for myself for getting three flats in one month. Five on one trip? That just seems like ridiculously bad luck. But you have fortitude and a good attitude about it.

Do you think anything could have prevented your flats? Were you using any product like Rideon or anything like that?

Reading this really makes me want to go ahead and work on sealing my bike's rims and running tubeless.

2018 KLR 650
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2001 Triumph Sprint ST

These are the good times, they're looking good so far,
jwaller is loving life, on his brand new KLR.
Got rid of the Ural, that nightmare now is over,
He'll probably get another one when H3LL freezes over.
jwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #24
Ad8867

now that's an adventure ride!!!
13 DR650
Ad8867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #25
humanrace

I've been on literally hundreds of single and group off road rides. Knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder. We have never fixed a flat beside the road or trail. Same goes for on road rides!!! Nice report.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #26
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Fix in flats...i did it in the cold 2 Christmas ago. You can do it when you have to. I used a Mesquite branch for a crutch and spooned the tire with the axle bolt.

Thanks for sharing, no tent ...nice if you can do it.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #27
Texas Mud Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaller View Post
Were you using any product like Rideon or anything like that?
I had Slime in the tires, and was surprised on a couple of the flats that it didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
no tent ...nice if you can do it.
I used to carry a tent, but never set it up (seriously- NEVER set it up), so just stopped carrying one. My current modus operandi is to lay my 12x12 tarp out, roll the bike on to one edge ( to hold it down if wind kicks up), then set up my pad and bag next to the bike, leaving about half the tarp available to taco over myself if it rains. If I know it is going to rain hard, then I'm not going to camp that night anyway, I'll get a motel.

A few of my buddies give me flack about the non tent thing, citing bears for a reason for use of a tent. To thing that a bear or cougar is discouraged from eating you due to a millimeter of fabric is akin to thinking a fat guy won't eat a candy bar because there is a wrapper around it.

I refuse to list the bikes I own

GnarTek.com
Texas Mud Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #28
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mud Taco View Post
I had Slime in the tires, and was surprised on a couple of the flats that it didn't work.

I used to carry a tent, but never set it up (seriously- NEVER set it up), so just stopped carrying one. My current modus operandi is to lay my 12x12 tarp out, roll the bike on to one edge ( to hold it down if wind kicks up), then set up my pad and bag next to the bike, leaving about half the tarp available to taco over myself if it rains. If I know it is going to rain hard, then I'm not going to camp that night anyway, I'll get a motel.

A few of my buddies give me flack about the non tent thing, citing bears for a reason for use of a tent. To thing that a bear or cougar is discouraged from eating you due to a millimeter of fabric is akin to thinking a fat guy won't eat a candy bar because there is a wrapper around it.
good copy, i think the tent thing would just serve as a deterrent to a large predator since they would not recognize the tent so much as a food source (could certainly smell however especially if you have some kind of food smells) dont get me wrong, you dont want to test my hypothesis please. this texas taco, as you call it is a great idea to keep the damp off (not so much out west however). i expect these are the kinds of things presented at the show you went to.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads

Last edited by StromXTc; 06-04-2018 at 03:59 PM.
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #29
ntklr650

I'm with you on the tent thing. Years of boy scout backpacking and I never used a tent. Tarp was way lighter and quicker to set up in a rain storm if caught out in it.
Quote:

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #30
misterk
Forum Supporter

Great report, thanks. I will say you are a flat magnet lol

I have been trying to get to ox the last 2 years, but something always comes up. This year it was he Kenny Chesney concert in Arlington.

You are tough as ducks guts sleeping rolled in a tarp. I would be thinking about the woolly buggers crawling in my ears, nose and mouth while I slept.
misterk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #31
Texas Mud Taco

Just to clarify- I only roll the tarp over if it rains or is dewy.

Been camping like this for years, and have never had anything entry any orifices.

GnarTek.com
Old 07-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #32
crittic

for a ride like that what tire would you recommend. I need to swap the ones on my 690R
crittic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #33
Texas Mud Taco

I started with a TKC80 on the front, and Shinko 705 at the rear. The TKC gives enough grip on gravel, the 705 is more a road tire (great for all the pavement getting out of Texas) and is real fun in the gravel (think flat track drift turns). The 705 sucked for certain super rocky downhill sections though. When in Durango, I swapped the beat rear for a TKC80 to match the front.

GnarTek.com
Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #34
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Been camping like this for years, and have never had anything entry any orifices.
That he knows about. Har har har

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

Dos Semanas En Mexico - Oct2017

Mexico Paved - Oct2015

A Week in New Mexico - Oct2014
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #35
Zonie

Quote:
I forgot to mention the dude I met in Van Horn, riding this moto bicycle to N Carolina. I felt like a pansy when compared to his adventure. Note his lack of gear! As a side note, it was odd being in Van Horn EXACTLY one year to the day after my huge (life changing) wreck on the NMBDR. Anyway...
I jumped on the NMBDR at TOC, and rode the section to Luna, right on the AZ border. No flats, but I did have a couple gnarly get-offs. I chose to ride my white DR650 because it had a Shinko 705 in the rear (great for all the pavement) and taller gearing (great for all the pavement). I knew the tires were going to make the trail sections a little more challenging, but everything is a trade off. On my first get-off, the bike slid down a trail on its right side after slipping on a rock. I ripped off the right side pannier that I got from Trail Boss, which is why in all the forthcoming pics it is not mounted. The fall also ripped my armored moto jeans to the point that it was almost inappropriate to wear them in public. Actually it was, but I had no choice at the time.
I have read of a ex British serviceman just post WW2 who rode around the world on a moped. He certainly has a bigger set than most anybody I have ever met.
Zonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #36
kojack06

Well, I feel a little better after reading this. I'm 58 and was mistaken for 41 this week!
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote