• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

I'm now that burro's best friend
01b2f56333dd0cea66f067c4b57ccb12.jpg
12d35c6a87a074efc43d305b2f4f0e56.jpg
279b301b771d56bcce595fa90ab20227.jpg
244e1ff53070c1db7e87a21357a62a14.jpg
bb1729adb7323f3acb9e35eff5f3cc45.jpg
6b0c75f1b744612b60760d6747b76242.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

When you powered past us standing up on the Beta, all I could think was "Dang showoff" :)

You would have been right there with me on your dirt bike. I would have been right there with you on my GS.

I had a great time catching up with old friends and making a couple of new ones (I hope)

Quick question for the guys in my group. Should I have stopped and spent time with the group to talk and practice some of the more technical sand and water sections. Guess I was feeling some pressure to stay ahead of the group behind us and to keep us moving forward. Not to mention I was just having fun blasting through since I hadn't ridden in months.

I felt bad last night thinking of the lost opportunity to take advantage of the great conditions and to help others learn a bit more...

What do you think?

By the way, Richard, JT, John S, it was super hard to back off and let you guys go on ahead without me. The twin was right there with your super bikes for a bit... LOL

[ame="https://youtu.be/V633vEy9_Tc"]Here [/ame]is a video of the ride :rider:

Riders,

Starting with the April 2018 ride the starting location of the first Saturday ride is changing so as to avoid the traffic on Hwy 290.

The new meeting location is the Texaco convenience store at the intersection of Hwy 12 and Hamilton Pool Road.

I have updated the monthly GPS routes to reflect the new starting point. I have also made a few other modifications to the several of the routes, so please download the newest version of the gpx file.

I have updated the first post in this thread with the new information. Go there for the link to the gpx file.

Last edited:
Woo hooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you did a great job leading us on Saturday. I also think it is a good idea to warm up before hitting the unpaved sections.

How about this... Going forward, if the route contains off-pavement, maybe leads can facilitate a 30 min basic drills break as the group hits the dirt section???? We can come up with a short list of quick drills to practice.

I had a great time catching up with old friends and making a couple of new ones (I hope)

Quick question for the guys in my group. Should I have stopped and spent time with the group to talk and practice some of the more technical sand and water sections. Guess I was feeling some pressure to stay ahead of the group behind us and to keep us moving forward. Not to mention I was just having fun blasting through since I hadn't ridden in months.

I felt bad last night thinking of the lost opportunity to take advantage of the great conditions and to help others learn a bit more...

What do you think?

By the way, Richard, JT, John S, it was super hard to back off and let you guys go on ahead without me. The twin was right there with your super bikes for a bit... LOL

I think you did a great job leading us on Saturday. I also think it is a good idea to warm up before hitting the unpaved sections.

How about this... Going forward, if the route contains off-pavement, maybe leads can facilitate a 30 min basic drills break as the group hits the dirt section???? We can come up with a short list of quick drills to practice.

I had a blast on my first ever ride on dirt roads! I must say it is demanding and equipment and skills are key to do well in those roads. I did not have a GPS so I had to break after Castell and rode home with the Killeen crew. I did not want to be the last rider lost in the middle of Texas! Nevertheless I put over 200 miles with no casualties.

I think there are riders of all skills in this rides. It is important to blend them into the groups so there is no group to fast or too slow. I also would sign up for a Pre-Ride 2 weeks prior to the ride to go over segments that need good skills. I am already thinking about riding next month's route to practice. Off course there are people who do not need to practice because they can fly on sand at 70mph (ala Richard) but they can sure be helpful with tips so we (the beginners) can learn from you guys.

I tell you, once they hit the dirt roads, they are flying. I never saw them again! Anyways, I had fun and have a better idea what to expect on my 2nd ride. Hopefully I can make it to the Thursday meet to chat more. Cheers! By the way, where is the new place for Thursdays?

You would have been right there with me on your dirt bike. I would have been right there with you on my GS.
Oh, I'll get there, Keith. The last time I was on a 2 wheeled vehicle in loose sand was a mountain bike in Moab in 1997 :)

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Ping me if you want to do some dirt drills. We can find a field and practice.

I had a blast on my first ever ride on dirt roads! I must say it is demanding and equipment and skills are key to do well in those roads. I did not have a GPS so I had to break after Castell and rode home with the Killeen crew. I did not want to be the last rider lost in the middle of Texas! Nevertheless I put over 200 miles with no casualties.

I think there are riders of all skills in this rides. It is important to blend them into the groups so there is no group to fast or too slow. I also would sign up for a Pre-Ride 2 weeks prior to the ride to go over segments that need good skills. I am already thinking about riding next month's route to practice. Off course there are people who do not need to practice because they can fly on sand at 70mph (ala Richard) but they can sure be helpful with tips so we (the beginners) can learn from you guys.

I tell you, once they hit the dirt roads, they are flying. I never saw them again! Anyways, I had fun and have a better idea what to expect on my 2nd ride. Hopefully I can make it to the Thursday meet to chat more. Cheers! By the way, where is the new place for Thursdays?

On the topic of changing things up, could we start "After the Ride" threads for the individual group rides? This one is getting pretty ungainly.

Mike you did great leading our group even with the first timers like I. I will always appreciate advice going into new sections to speed up the pace and learn new tricks. But, we also all made it at the pace you chose.
I had a blast.

I am down for play around offroad for practice around Austin if anyone is making plans.

Also Recently convinced another friend to buy a GS, now I have to go to SA and pick it up for them, fun!

great video

Approximately where is that section of CR 315 at? I googled CR315 and found CR 315 Llano, CR315 Jarrell, CR 315 Wimberley, and at least 1 more.

Looks like a fun road, so thanks for posting the video. I'm going to try and get out there with the Austin group one of these weekends.

Take a look at post #360 in this thread. 315 is part of that gpx loop, south of Llano.

Last edited:
Running CR 315 with Richard, John and JT.

Overcook a corner? No problem. Still plenty of traction to be had in the bar ditch. Speaking of plenty, lots of two wheel traffic on that road.

Back