• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Motorcycle License written test update

E.Marquez

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
For those that know a friend, spouse, son or daughter that is about to take their DPS written licensing test for class M. Please remind them, as of 1 NOV 2014, the test includes 5 questions on trikes.
And they need to study the NEW version Motorcycle operators manual dated Jun 2014 https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/DL-8.pdf
Not the older version that is still out on shelf and being distributed at some locations.

Have fun

I had to take this a few weeks ago to get my endorsement and the trike questions were pretty common sense ones. For example I think there was one asking about leaning on the trike while in a turn or something like that. Nothing too difficult.

Hmmm, not that I have anyone taking the test soon but that is good info to know.

Thank you for the "heads up" and the link to the updated manual.

Thanks for the info, planning on helping my son get his M endorsement here in a couple of months.

Is it accurate that you have to get your MSF cert prior to getting a PERMIT to ride in TX? I had a friend ask, and show me a reference that appears to be the case.

Is it accurate that you have to get your MSF cert prior to getting a PERMIT to ride in TX? I had a friend ask, and show me a reference that appears to be the case.

No such thing as a motorcycle permit any longer in Texas. (permit as in something you can get to legally ride BEFORE you take the course, get a license or learner license)

You have a class M endorsement / Motorcycle learner license or you do not.

When the state adopted mandatory motorcycle training prior to license issue, the permit went away.

If you are 15.5 to 18
Complete the classroom phase of a driver education course before a motorcycle safety course can be taken have a Class C learner license or driver license, take and pass the BRC and apply for a motorcycle learner license, an individual must meet all of the requirements necessary to obtain a learner license, plus complete a motorcycle safety course.

Or if the minor is ready for a full M endorsement on a Class DL, then they must do a Motorcycle riding test at DPS. (that is also how the minor gets the J restriction removed from the learner license)

Last edited:
Back