• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FX lens on DX body. Win, win!

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
I've been kicking around the idea of an 85mm for my D90. Also been thinking about taking the next step in pushing beyond the hobby envelope and picking up an FX body.
so a little Adorama research revealed.
85mm/f3.5 DX lens - $400
50mm/f1.8 FX lens - $129 (approx 75mm DX)

Think I'll go with the 50mm!

Last edited:
I've been kicking around the idea of an 85mm for my D90. Also been thinking about taking the next step in pushing beyond the hobby envelope and picking up an FX body.
85mm/f3.5 DX lens - $400

I'm guessing you're talking about this lens: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Micro-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002SQKVE4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361152196&sr=8-3&keywords=nikon+85mm+f%2F3.5+dx"]85mm f/3.5[/ame]

The 50 f/1.8 and the one above are quite different. The 85 is actually 127mm when mounted on your D90.

Nothing wrong with the nifty-fifty though, I loved that focal length (75mm) on my DX.

85mm/f3.5 DX lens - $400

For a little extra money spring for the 85 f1.8. It is an amazing lens at 1.8 and almost creates light.

FX lens on a DX body is a great solution. If for no other reason, you only spend cash once, and not twice. Meaning that if you ever change the body of your camera out you are not limited to the crop factor of the sensor, because of the monies spent on DX glass.

FX lenses work on all Nikon bodys, and even with a mounting adapter (F mount) can be used on the new Nikon 4/3'rds cameras.

DX lenses only work on DX body's.

Lenses we will keep for a long time, but body's will be upgraded as technology improves.

YMMV.

Oh and specifically to your comment Tracker. I would get the 50mm 1.8. Its affordable, takes crazy sharp photos, and would be a close approximate of what the 85mm looks like on a FX body.

DX lenses only work on DX body's.

Are you sure about that? I thought they mounted, metered, focused just fine but only used the center portion of the sensor so the FX body with a DX lens might drop to an effective 4-5mp camera.

I can mount my 10-20 Sigma wide-angle on the D700 and it automatically recognizes it as a DX lens and tosses up a framing bracket inside to let me know the boundaries.

Are you sure about that? I thought they mounted, metered, focused just fine but only used the center portion of the sensor so the FX body with a DX lens might drop to an effective 4-5mp camera.

I can mount my 10-20 Sigma wide-angle on the D700 and it automatically recognizes it as a DX lens and tosses up a framing bracket inside to let me know the boundaries.

Ok. Techically they work. They mount, the meter, they focus, just like a FX made lens would work.

the image is focused onto the sensor in the area that DX sensor would cover.

So, depending on lens type, this will depend on how much of the image is viewable on a FX Sensor.

Take my 35mm 1.8 DX on a FX. It leaves a smallish vinegette around the entire image, and the edge is not very sharp.

But my 18-200 DX on a FX body is worthless, unusable, at all zoom lengths.

Yes DX lenses function on a FX body but the lens focuses the light on a small portion of the sensor.

I did a comparison on the D800 thread I thought of my DX lenses on a FX body.

Long term, I might keep my D40 with an 18-200 as my "P&S" camera with the FX body/lenses as my "serious" setup. Right now, I'm kinda in between with champagne tastes and a beer budget.

So this is cool!

You can mix and match DX/FX lenses with DX/FX bodies and see what it does to the images. If you pick "Keep Combination" you can create sets that are saved down below and then quickly click back and forth between them to see the differences/similarities.

http://static.nikonusa.com/Lens-Simulator/simulator.htm

The BWT arrived today. WooHoo! Now to start saving pennies for the FX body.

I know what a BBT is (Big Brown Truck)

But what's the BWT?

Have you had a chance to shoot the nifty-fifty yet?

some quick test output
DSC_0004.jpg

some things aren't as they seem...
DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

and what is, that isn't as it first seems...
DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited:
I can only see the third of the four images in your post Gary. The others are grey circles with a minus sign in the middle of them :shrug:

I can only see the third of the four images in your post Gary. The others are grey circles with a minus sign in the middle of them :shrug:

fixed, I think. Google+ doesn't make it easy to share smaller versions of jpg's.

Back