• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Quick Camera

Reaction score
What is the fastest quick draw camera?

What I mean is the fastest camera you can pull out of your shirt pocket and snap a shot. With one hand. The fastest gun in the west.

I got one of those $100 Canon digital camera from Walmart. Problem is first you have to find the Power button. It's tiny, difficult to push, especially with gloves. Then I have to wait a second or two for it to start up. Then I have to push the shot button half way to focus. These things are made for women with dainty fingers. Then finally I can take the shot. It's difficult to do all that one-handed and try to drive a bike at the same time.

I need something quicker. Just point and bang. With big buttons. Don't even need a screen. Should be reasonably roughed too. Does such a camera exist?

Yes, but it uses film!:eek2: Have you googled stipulating always open, no zoom etc?

My mom used to have a Nikon Coolpix S2
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/style/s2/index.htm

To turn it on, you slid the lens cover down. It's huge, so very easy to do with gloves.
Not as fast from power-on-to-first-shot as a DSLR, but the ease of turning it on almost made up for it.

Too bad they dropped that model and nothing presently matches it.

I haven't used those relic in years. Does Walmart still process 35mm film?

I don't really take much pictures. I guess paying someone to develop the picture is
justified.

:popcorn:

Just returned my GoPro HD2. Once it was mounted on the bike I couldn't tell if it was on or off. Took zero amazing pictures this weekend!

Have you played with any of the Olympus "Tough" or "TG" series of cameras?

Sounds like they may be what you are "wishing" for, but if your like me you will not know until you you put it in your hands and play with it.

Examples

I use a Canon S90 as my pocket camera, but it has all of the behaviors that you described that you don't want.. :)

Costco ("it's where your money goes") had a special on the Nikon CoolPix AW100 so I picked one up to try. So far it seems like it might be a good on the bike camera. Waterproof and the GPS logging feature will be nice for those rides where you get home & ask "where was that one taken?"

I've shot a few frames in the backyard. Image quality and color rendition is certainly not up to my Leica (the old Megapixels myth again, the Nikon has almost double that of the Leica) but then again I'm not sticking a Zeiss lens onto my fairing.

Buttons are are fairly large although M/C gloves will be a problem, I'll charge up the battery & see how much standby life I get out of it, if I can get a few hours my plan is to leave it switched on and shoot when the fancy takes.

I was stumbled upon one of these at Wally Mart for $60. Shock-proof. Water-proof.
A more rugged camera for standing up to my abuse, but I wish it's even more sturdier. It feels just slightly more tough than a normal camera. The buttons are big. Should have no problem with gloves. It looks like a toy, so I suspect it'll be tough to take good pictures.

353_26317_S30_left.png

I have a tough series and love it. Its been to the bottom of a pool, in my jacket during rain, and the dustiest of environments. Its my go to point and shoot. Poor quality compared to a DSLR though. Its fun to just toss it in a glass of water and watch my friends freak.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I got a Nikon AW100 last year. It spent a weekend in a swimming pool as well as being drenched in warm beer. It survived a week of daily dunking in the Gulf. It got some underwater footage in a large saltwater aquarium as well. Fish are scared of it.

I even let my wife hold after swearing she wouldn't drop it. She dropped, it a dozen so times.

I have several pictures on display at my house, 8x10's. The wife approves so they must be good.

My iPhone. I can have it out of my pocket and in camera mode faster than any point and shoot camera I've ever used and it takes good pics.

Back