• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

iPad Workflow & Geotagging Photos

2N2OUT

If You Can't Be A Forum Be A
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Super Dave
Planning a trip overseas later this year. Two questions, anyone have an iPad workflow and geo-tagging process?

My goal:

Will go with only a single carry-on bag and a personal bag; use the iPad to download photos from the cameras, geotag them, upload them to smugmug for archival, edit and post photos and text updates to my blog.

The iPad with the camera kit can read directly from my cameras, Canon G15 and Canon S95, and iPhones. Any have a workflow that is easy and works for them?

Second question, is I'd like to geotag my photos. My camera doesn't have builtin GPS. Looking for the best way to track my location to a track log, then geotag my photos, ideally, during the same iPad workflow process, but if it needs a computer, at least, save the track logs until I return home and then geotag the photos in Aperture.

Thx

Slick IPad workflow suggestion is to post them using Snapseed right there on the IPad and then upload to Smugmug using Camera Awesome (a Smugmug interface)

Once you try Snapseed you will thank me, then I in turn will pass your thanks on to Skip Hunt since he is the one who turned me onto Snapseed

It's all the post processing you need. People overthink post processing

Edit in camera & crop/touch up minimally in post

Once you upload them to Smugmug it will be hard for you to go back and process them in batch. And I'm talking mentally, not physically.

Thanks, Trice, I use smugmug as a vault of sorts so if/when my big raid 10 array goes I have original master copies plus edits in the cloud. The blog gets the filtered set with copy. I tried Snapspeed a while back, need more time with it. I like iMovie on the iPad for my videos. Quick and easy.

Anyone, thoughts on Geotagging? I don't have a Spot, but wondered if it might work?

Last edited:
Anyone, thoughts on Geotagging? I don't have a Spot, but wondered if it might work?

SPOT would work but the process would drive you nuts

You'd have to send an OK or Custom Message (God forbid 911 :lol2:) and match the message date/time stamp to the same for when you took the photo - what a pain.

Just buy a GPS enabled PNS to begin with or last resport use something like a Garmin 62, but if you're into geotagging photos nothing beats a GPS enabled camera to begin with.

For geotagging, I make sure my camera matches the time on the gps then use Garmin Basecamp to geotag the photos to match the gps track. Doesn't help for on the road, but that's what i do back at home.

On the road it is Snapseed or Handy Photo to edit. Smugshot (iphone app that runs on ipad) to upload to Smugmug.

Or in the little camera, I use an EyeFi card and it auto uploads to Smugmug (and the ipad if I configure it that way). That geotags based on wifi access point location of the upload.

Back