• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Shoei dealer around Weatherford - Ft. Worth

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
Other than Cycle Gear, where can I walk in and try on a Shoei GT Air? and unless the markup is crazy, buy one?

Cycle Gear has a few, but none in my size.

I read about how the GT Air runs small and my melon size is a tweener.

My RF1000 lining is beginning to disintegrate ...

i'm not sure where to try one on around here.
i can tell you it does run a bit tighter through the cheeks and jaw. i still went with my normal size i wear with my other shoeis. after wearing it for a while it's not as tight as new.
they do offer smaller cheek pads.

i really like it. it's super light and quiet, 'cept when the top vent is open all the way, it lets in more noise which is to be expected, but not annoying. imo

I heard that Family PowerSports in Weatherford just moved into their new building this week. They were supposed to carry a large selection of helmets once they got to the new store. I'm gonna go by today & check it out.

not sure if MotoLiberty keeps them in stock - but call ahead. It may be a little drive (ride) for you, but worth it.

D&S in south Arlington had them last time I was in there; I'd still call ahead, though. And there's probably a bike dealer closer to you that has them. Maybe Burleson Powersports?

Oops ...

Last edited:
i'm not sure where to try one on around here.
i can tell you it does run a bit tighter through the cheeks and jaw. i still went with my normal size i wear with my other shoeis. after wearing it for a while it's not as tight as new.
they do offer smaller cheek pads.

i really like it. it's super light and quiet, 'cept when the top vent is open all the way, it lets in more noise which is to be expected, but not annoying. imo

Had the same experience with my Shoei ... it was my first and I thought it was small. Fits like a glove today ... I wish there were liner kits for a RF 1000.

Reviews are mixed ... some claim run small, others say it's tighter to get it on at first, then wears into mold one's head ... some normal fit.

I heard that Family PowerSports in Weatherford just moved into their new building this week. They were supposed to carry a large selection of helmets once they got to the new store. I'm gonna go by today & check it out.

There sure isn't anything I can find on the net about it.
Please, let me know.

MotoLiberty is a trek for me ... prolly a last resort.
Never heard of D&S ... need to look them up.

Thanks folks!

I had a GT-Air. Now a 1200. I had a 1000 first and then purchased the same sized GT-Air. The GT was too small. Found the 1200 to fit more like a 1000. I'd try the Honda dealer on west 820. I know the Hurst dealer had them, so I'd have to assume that the 820 shop has them as well.

Last edited:
Other than Cycle Gear, where can I walk in and try on a Shoei GT Air? and unless the markup is crazy, buy one?

Cycle Gear has a few, but none in my size.

I read about how the GT Air runs small and my melon size is a tweener.

My RF1000 lining is beginning to disintegrate ...

If your plan is actually to buy online, call Motorcyclegear.com in Lubbock and talk to them about fitment. They're quite good at walking you through it & getting it right. And if it doesn't fit, returns are free.

I had a GT-Air. Now a 1200. I had a 1000 first and then purchased the same sized GT-Air. The GT was too small. Found the 1200 to fit more like a 1000. I'd try the Honda dealer on west 820. I know the Hurst dealer had them, so I'd have to assume that the 820 shop has them as well.

Well that is disappointing ...

I'm headed to Ft. Worth tomorrow and will stop by.

If your plan is actually to buy online, call Motorcyclegear.com in Lubbock and talk to them about fitment. They're quite good at walking you through it & getting it right. And if it doesn't fit, returns are free.

I've purchased all kinds of gear from New Enough ... now MCG. Great sales staff.

A couple weeks ago, I returned a jacket and two pairs of gloves. The cost of the UPS return label was deducted from the refund amount.

The GT-Air is a great helmet. I hope it fits you better than it did me. I had some odd pressure on cheeks and near the base of my ear that made it hurt pretty bad after a few hundred miles. My ears are too far forward or something. Who knows.

On a plus, it was the quietest most turbulent free helmet of the bunch.

Chasing a dead phone problem side tracked my window shopping spree.

I did get to D&S. They had a few NOS Shoeis but stopped stocking them.
Too many styles, sizes, designs and colors to stock and inventory.

I feel certain I will return it (negative waves, man) but I ordered a GT-Air from Revzilla. According to the sizing chart, I'm at the upper end of XXL and they don't offer a 3XL.

My RF1000 is a XXL. It was tight at first but settled in nicely.

Will report back.

The GT Air arrived today and it fits! Woop!!!!

Cheek pads are way too tight and I'll order some smaller replacements or try and whittle these down some.

Helmet feels awesome! Stupid rain

Congrats.

Then again, those tight cheek pads will help keep the thing from corkscrewing on your head when you find yourself riding in a 30 mph quartering headwind.

the pads will give a bit after time, if you can handle the pressure at the moment.

what color did you get??

White. Plain yogurt, boring white.

Thanks and it feels a little tight on the cheeks.

I've seen a couple threads about trimming the cheek pads to relieve some of the pressure. But will wait and see how it forms and conforms first.

My next concern is fitting the Sena 20s onto it. The shell has reliefs cut into it for the speakers, but the 20s's speakers are too big. The 10 fits perfect.

I've whittled on shells before to get comm gear installed. will find an alternative solution 'cause I'm not thrilled with the carving option.

I have the 10 and yes they fit perfect in the GTAir. Oddly enough they were two big for my RF1200. On that I just took a soldering tool and melted away a little plastic and foam and then sanded the rough edges some to make the speakers fit with the speaker covers installed. I went speakerless for a while though as I couldn't bring myself to do surgery on a new helmet in the beginning. Sounds like you may need to do something similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cycle Center of Denton had some "Airs" on the shelf a couple of weeks ago when I was there.

Freedom Power Sports in Hurst has a decent supply of Shoeis on the shelf but I failed to notice if there were any "Airs".

Thanks Stephan ...

Quick 100 mile update:

From behind a Swingblade windshield, I can't feel much air flow. With the visor down, even in 90* weather, I could fog it after just a couple minutes, even with the breath deflector in place.

Crack the visor to the first or second notch and the 90* cool air was a welcome relief. Surprisingly enough, the noise level didn't go up as much as I had figured. The seal around the forehead and cheeks is pretty tight.

Speaking of cheeks, in very short order I can sense the padding taking a set. Can still feel pressure points along my cheek bone below the temple. From all accounts I have read from long-term GT Air owners, this might require a little surgery to fix. Still not to that point, yet.

Its 0100 hrs and I just completed installing a Sena 20s. My impressions:

Lots of internet angst about fitting the speakers and the helmet alterations required to make it happen. The issue, as I see it, other than the size of the relief size, is the Shoei ear piece cover. It is a piece of thin foam that dresses the area and uses a thin plastic ring with seating tabs that lock into the inner helmet liner. Should have taken pictures and I'm NOT pulling it out ever again.

The plastic ring has the foam cover attached to one side and foam disk on the other, I assume to apply pressure to the speaker to keep it in place.

A piece of velcro cut to fit inside the relief and then the speaker (which already has the hook side attached) on top locks the speaker in place. The cut to fit piece of velcro carpet is slightly larger than the speaker, so its isolated from anything hard. It's can't rattle.

I separated the foam disk from the ear piece cover and set it in place and reassembled. So instead of carving on the helmet, I altered an interior cover piece. Seemed like a better alternative.

The short side speaker wire needs to be about 2 or 3 inches longer in order to tuck away the wire and hide it behind the lip of the helmet. The Shoei neck pad reaches way back to almost the base of the spine. I had already snapped the liner and cheek pieces in place and just didn't feel like disassembling everything yet again. But rerouting the speaker wire under the liner and it emerging inside the shell makes for a cleaner install.

There is a lot more face to chin bar room in the GT Air compared to the RF1000. Lot of mic placement real estate without lip or whisker rub across the mic. I placed it pretty far to the left of center to avoid breath pops when talking. Haven't made any calls yet, but the bluetooth lady understands me perfectly.

With all the bad publicity the GT Air has on the net about fitment, it's a tough check to write. I have a Shoei head. I don't have an Arai, Bell or Bilt head. I liked the looks and technology built into the Air and wanted it to work. My experience has been a good one.

Other than Cycle Gear, where can I walk in and try on a Shoei GT Air? and unless the markup is crazy, buy one ...

These are MAP items. So, they will be priced the same where you buy.

Back