• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good textile/mesh jacket for Houston?

Free and it's blue. It was a hand-me-down when I first started riding and hadn't gotten my own yet. Joe Rocket mesh.

Really?! If you want to pass it along I am not one to pass up free! PM me and we can work out the details.

Oh, but just so I have one "on-topic" post here... another +1 on the JR Phoenix. I'm on my 2nd, since they cut the 1st one off of me. I liked the 3.0 better than the 4.0, but I'm still happy with the 4.

The things you've heard about mesh jackets probably have to do with protection during a crash.

Even then, a good mesh jacket will do a good job of protecting you in a crash.

In August, I crashed in a Firstgear Mesh-Tex 3.0 jacket. It was a 45 mph lowside complete with a nice long 30' slide down the road and the jacket didn't wear through in any spot. I think a good tight fit has a lot to do with that as well.

Would it have held up as well in an 85 mph lowside? Doubtful.

I can vouch for the Vanson Jacket as being one of the coolest jackets. Mine has armour and also mesh sleeves. Try the new Motoliberty store in your area

Looks like things are already taken care of, but I'll chime in anyway.

I rode with a FirstGear MeshTexII and had the "joy" of crash testing it.
Hit the pavement doing about 40mph. Landed on my left shoulder and elbow.
I'd added CE armor (v3 has CE armor in it, v2 did not) and I walked away without a scratch or bruise on my upper body.
I can't say the same about my jeans :doh:

Now I ride with a Cortech Intake and feel its better built then the FirstGear.

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Joe Rocket Phoenix.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/phoenix_5_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html
It has more mesh than the Alter Ego. I believe it has the same waterproof/windproof liner. I get one size larger so I can add a fleece layer when it gets real cold and am able to wear it down to 40 degrees. Great ariflow even when sitting at a stop if there is any breeze at all. I'm on my second jacket. The first was version 2.0; my second is 4.0. I still use the old one when riding dirt roads since it has the protection on shoulders, elbows, back.

+1 - love mine.

Thanks guys, I ended up getting a JR Phoenix 5.0...I'm happy w/it, until I leave my liner at home and I'm driving home from work at night and it's in the 40's :doh:

Another option to check out is the Shift Airborne, also available from New Enough for $99.00 for this year's model. I got a "silver" one, looks white in the pics online but in reality it is more grey. Wanted a lighter colored one so it won't absorb the solar energy when you're sitting at a stop and the sun is beating down on your back.

You can find closeouts of earlier versions as low as $49.00 online. Looks like the color schemes differ but jacket is probably the same. This is a simple design, no liner at all, nicely done, good reviews and not as well known - yet.

If the Joe Rocket coarse mesh looks too "open" for you and the FirstGear MeshTex seems too "closed" for you, try the Shift since it is sort of in-between. I've got a Joe Rocket Rio with the coarse mesh + leather and the earlier FirstGear MeshTex, but both are black which is kind dumb when it's hot and sunny.

Aloha,
Huladog

Thanx for the tip, I will keep that in mind for the next time around. I am gonna stick w/my JR for now. Seems to keep me cool enough in the heat and I was only cold b/c I wasn't planning ahead...I'm tempted to try to sell my JR and get something else this summer, but we'll see what happens

And don't forget, the Phoenix 4.0 is still on closeout at NewEnough because of the launch of the 5.0.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/..._rocket/phoenix_4_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Just $89.00 plus shipping and handling ($9.31 to Sugar Land). Or, if you want the new version, the prices has not gone up from $134.99 (with free shipping).

Lee

I bought this jacket about 2 weeks ago when i got my new bike.
seems to work well so far. I will be looking for something that i can use when the weather get colder though.

I'm a big fan of the Alpinestars T-Breeze mesh/textile jackets.

It's been very good to me so far. :)

I just purchased the Fieldsheer Corsair jacket and I love it so far. It is made of Corboflex, which is a stretchable breathable fabric 9kinda feels like scuba gear). It is supposed to be 90% as strong as leather. The jacket moves with you and so far it seems as cool as my First Gear mesh. I little pricey but I think it was worth the price. Got it at Griffs in Lewisville.

BTW they had the Cortech GX2 air for 189 - cheapest by $40 anywhere

try motoport air mesh kevlar jacket. small company, great owner...the best product out there!!!!!!!!

...Any jacket is Houston is going to be close to unbearable in mid-summer. When the temp is 95+ and you're stopped at a light in traffic you will roast no matter what you are wearing.

That is exactly correct. Plan your rides accordingly.

Yeah, I know how hot Houston can be. This jacket has a reputable reputation from soldiers using it in IN IRAQ! They HAVE to wear protection, so this company has been a real hit with them. IRAQ:eek2:
Check 'm out. I plan to buy one just befroe I purchase my Bandit. They even custom make them for you if you send measurments that they show you how to take. I have done a years worth of reasearch on this. Beleive me when I say Kevlar mesh is the way to go. An Amazing product:thumb:

Yeah, I know how hot Houston can be. This jacket has a reputable reputation from soldiers using it in IN IRAQ! They HAVE to wear protection, so this company has been a real hit with them. IRAQ:eek2:
Check 'm out. I plan to buy one just befroe I purchase my Bandit. They even custom make them for you if you send measurments that they show you how to take. I have done a years worth of reasearch on this. Beleive me when I say Kevlar mesh is the way to go. An Amazing product:thumb:

Tourmeister has a Mesh Kevlar set. What about it Scott? You still happy with your MotoPort?

Lee

The Joe Rocket Phoenix series can often be found in a XL "tall", but seems to be limited to the solid colors.

I have no reservations about riding in mesh or other textile gear. CE Armor in the right places, give the extra confidence. However, no matter what you are wearing, if the ground comes up to greet you, you'll wish you had more.

While here in California, I have been hitting the local bike shops and found a great deal on the DAINESE Laguna Seca jacket. Bought it in white. Kinda "bling" for my taste, but it should help with visibility and keep me a little cooler. Will report on that a different day. The first big bug splat on a white jacket should be interesting.

Back