• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post Road @ Blanco River Bridge (Kyle)

Reaction score
While searching for a non-Interstate route from Austin to San Antonio a few years ago, I ran across this RR bridge just a mile or two south of Kyle. I've been meaning to get by there with a camera to make some pictures and post up in this TWT section.

Last night BlueDogOK and I went by there on our way to the first San Marcos bike night.

58966957-L.jpg

I was struck by the peaceful water contrasted against the rugged rock trustles and the weathered iron railings.

58966959-L.jpg

58966960-M.jpg

During the Spring the place is teeming with wildflowers, butterflies and other wildlife.

It is located at the convergence of Hays County CR 136, Post Rd. coming out of Kyle, a railroad and the Blanco River. (GPS coords: N29 56.265 W97 53.765)
58974931-M.jpg

Well worth a visit if you are ever in the area! There is a park with a swimming hole just up the road on CR 136, and the Salt Lick BBQ is not far away in Driftwood! :eat:

When I was in college at SWT, the college kids would go to this location and go "trestling". I did it once. We went out there, under the influence of various substances and walked out onto the trestle. We all sat down and waited for a train. At some point it occured to me that we were all looking the same way and I turned around and saw a train coming. We barely had time to climb down through the cracks and lay on top of the rock pillars before the train got there. We were laying flat on our backs with a train running over us, about 4 feet above us. It made quite an impression. Once was enough.

This is a popular bicycle route as well. There is a park about .5 miles north that I've suggested as a meetup spot for the Austin RAT group. Very nice area.

I remember going by that on our way to the Kyle Pie Run a few weeks ago, thinking it would be a great place to stop and take a pic (especially since we had the two Repsol Hondas with us); but we were already late and got caught by a train that cost us several minutes. The lure of pie was too great to stop, but maybe next time! But if I recall correctly, that isn't the best of roads (quite bumpy on the CBR!).

Cheers! M2

kman458 said:
Isn't that on the way out to 5 mile dam?

Yes! That bridge and train trestle are about 1/4 mile downstream from five mile dam. If you are coming from San Marcos you cross the Blanco River on that bridge, take an immediate left on the other side and five mile dam will be on your left soon.

Back