• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Points lube - need help finding

SL350

Reaction score
Just wore out and replaced a set of points in one of the CT90s. Need some points lube and the go to for me has been Beatrice/DrATV who is out. Can't find any at the house.

Anyone know where you can get a tube of Bosch points grease or equivalent? Can't find them shopping online.

Good luck, Mike. Not a lot of call for that stuff. I haven't done points in 30 years or so. Maybe a hot rod shop? You might call Harry's Hot Rod Shop in Grand Prairie.

The VW guys still use points for many. But I don't know any VW shops in my area.

If Harry's has it, and they won't ship it to you, let me know. I'll swing by & pick some up, and we can do a meet up for lunch or something. I'm assuming Harry's is still there; I haven't been down 80 in a couple of years. They're an institution, and have been featured on some national TV shows, so I don't think they're going anywhere.

Let me check local first. It might be a NAPA item.

I'll bet there are work arounds too. The posting online that I have seen so far are all what NOT to use.

Let me guess - no WD40, no vegetable oil, no 90-wt grease.

Honestly, I don't remember ever having used that stuff. I was aware of it, but most of my little cars needed the points replaced or at least filed so frequently that it was a moot point. Opels were notorious for that - about every 3,000 miles - and I had 2 of them.

I used to get a dab of it when I bought points. Online I see people buying Mallory distributor grease until 2015. Bosch too. There are some that say axle grease and I bet that would work, especially if it was checked every quarter or so.

Assembly grease? I have a tube of that from my overhauls. But I thought it was just to lube an engine until the oil system pumped the first time. I put assembly grease on the cam lobes, wrist pins, and all grinding areas during an overhaul. Mostly cause if the overhauled engine is not installed immediately, the lube will not run off like 10-40.

Wish I knew this one was coming. A little $8 tube would last my 3 vintage bikes about 25 years and I am guessing that is longer than I will be riding.

Phil, let me check it out. It's not a name brand I am familiar with. If I can find some guys to verify it works, I'm in.

I have been having dreams of making a barrel of distributor lube and selling it. At the rate they charge for that tube, I could make millions!

The Assembly lube is still sounding pretty good especially since it is on my shelf and I need something today.

And there are still millions of old points vehicles out there. Ford 8n tractors, VW Beetles, WWII Jeeps, and all the vintage Porches and GTOs... most have not been converted and still are used/shown.

Last edited:
go to NAPA and ask for echlin ignition moly lube part number ECH ML1

I bought the Superlube at HF and will try that. Thanks Cleatus for the recommendation. $6.50 with 20% off and a free tarp too.

Thanks all. Lots of good options.

Last edited:
Status - lubed and runnng great after a tune up. Only hitch was the new points were corroded and I had to file them with sandpaper. 0 conductivity across the points. Last week my TWT friend installed a new master cylinder and it too was non working as delivered. Quality control is quite poor now. To be fair, it was a set of EMGO points and not OEM. OEM was not available.

But it's all good now.

Leon, are you using this echlin ignition moly lube?

Nope all mine have digital ignitions.
Searched and that was what was recommended by the Honda sohc 4 folks.

Well two electronic and three digital.

Point spring broke in my new Datsun fork lift a couple years ago so it got pertronix solid state in it now , they have been in my towmotor fork lift since I got it in the 80 s . Direct replacement of old points and condenser in the stock distributor and NOT made in china . If I can help it I won't buy any thing chinese made , I haven't lowered myself to that standard yet . Fleabay is not a source for me .

Back